Salad.. great. Dressing.. AWFUL?

Options

Replies

• APalmieri2012
    APalmieri2012 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using a dressing made with greek yogurt? They are much better in the fat department and they even taste great!

Just some food for thought!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    1-2 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar, 1 tsp Olive oil, italian seasoning blend, maybe even a squeeze of lemon. BAM. done.
  • harveyc1987
    harveyc1987 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I the way I think about it is a little different. I feel like need a good dressing for me to enjoy the salad. But I look at like this salad with the dressing is a lot better than if I would have had the double bacon cheese burger or fried chicken I really wanted lol
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Just make your own... use olive oil if you want to add some extra fat and calories or don't. If I have avocado in my salad, I'll usually just add some apple cider vinegar or lemon juice with some garlic as a dressing. If no added fats in the salad, I'll use olive oil in addition to that. I've never quite understood why people buy bottled dressing when it's so simple to make.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with fat, man people don't get enough fat.

exactly.... more than that, people don't get enough 'good' fats. Dress your salad with olive oil. I use extra virgin and mix a little white balsamic with it, salt, pepper, garlic and either mustard or lemon juice and chilli .... :smile:
  • clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    The fat in salad dressing is essential to get the nutrients from the salad to work right. People who eat fat free dressings are wasting the carotenoids in the salad. It's best to find dressings with monounsaturated fats, but no matter which you choose, 2 tablespoons of a regular dressing is better than fat free stuff.

http://gizmodo.com/5923627/eating-salad-with-fat-free-dressing-is-not-good-for-you-says-science
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I dropped my glass salad dressing bottle before work one day and was stuck with a plain salad. I found I actually liked that better and have never gone back.

I should note that my plain salad includes avocado, so I get the requisite fat and creaminess. Sometimes I'll add a dash of salt and pepper.

This. I found I don't really need dressing, if I've got some meat & cheese on it. I'll also add avocado, or cottage cheese if I need something. If I do have dressing (on a homemade salad), I just use a bit of olive oil and rice wine vinegar (not as potent) and some spices. I usually only use bottled dressings when I'm at a restaurant, and then I use it sparingly since I don't need as much anymore.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I have a huge salad for dinner, about 5 nights a week. I add a grilled chicken breast, chopped onions and a little Mrs. Dash. I have not used "salad dressing" for many years. I prefer salsa. Some of my favorites are Arriba Fired Roasted Chipotle Salsa and plain old Great Value Peach Pineapple Chipotle Salsa. For a real treat, I'll drizzle Mai Ploy Sweet Chili sauce over it, instead. All are very low calorie and go a long way. A little dab will do ya! I love them.
  • leadinglady704
    Options
    These recipes sounds delicious! But, what's the expiration date for home made salad dressing??
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I use 2 tbls of Kraft Fat Free Italian or Zesty Italian (15 cals) and 2 tbls of Kinkoman Rice Vvinegar (0 cals). Taste great and a really good amount. Half of each would probably be more than enough too.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm like creamy dressing, and I make my own by mixing a bit of avocado (mash it with a fork until creamy), 2 laughing cow cheese wedges (light garlic & herb), and some salsa together. It might sound weird, but it's soooo good to me!

When it's all said and done, my salad including the dressing is about 212 calories. :smile:
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I use Newman's Own Salad dressings

I also recommend trying a little tzaziki ... especially with grilled chicken
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump

also I don't worry about the fats in bottled dressings as I know they can be beneficial, but have you ever seen the sodium content on some of them? More than the usual 2 TBSP serving and that can really skyrocket.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have a huge salad for dinner, about 5 nights a week. I add a grilled chicken breast, chopped onions and a little Mrs. Dash. I have not used "salad dressing" for many years. I prefer salsa. Some of my favorites are Arriba Fired Roasted Chipotle Salsa and plain old Great Value Peach Pineapple Chipotle Salsa. For a real treat, I'll drizzle Mai Ploy Sweet Chili sauce over it, instead. All are very low calorie and go a long way. A little dab will do ya! I love them.

I do love using salsa on my taco salads :heart:
  • therainandthunder
    Options
    Hmm, I just add salt and pepper to mine. Mum adds olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper to the family's.
  • MrsDanner78
    MrsDanner78 Posts: 107
    Options
    Mmmmm, bumping for the recipes!
  • enwarren84
    Options
    Walden Farms has a line of dressings with ZERO everything...zero cals, carbs, fat, sugar....of course they dont taste like the real thing but they're not bad!
  • Ozzyopolis
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with fat, man people don't get enough fat.

Agreed. In addition to my fatty dressing I usually have an avocado as well.

I agree.