Replies

• RachelGraceReed83
    RachelGraceReed83 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump
  • padisneyfour
    padisneyfour Posts: 220
    Options
    I have a ranch dressing addiction. But I have discovered the Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Ranch dressing and OMG, it is soooo good. And only 40 cals. It costs a little more than say, Hidden Valley, but it is so worth it, not only in cals but in taste too.
    will have to try this....I love ranch too!
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm a salad fanatic. Tend to prefer oil/vinegar based dressings but I make a wonderful blue cheese. Always prefer homemade, but for bottled dressing my all-time favorite is Girard's Champagne Vinaigrette. Other favorites are Makoto (an Asian ginger vinaigrette) and Trader Joe's Cilantro dressing.

A trick I use to make a little go a long way is to put my salad in a large container with a lid, add my measured dressing, and shake vigorously.
  • killin_me_softly
    Options
    Use the fork method....dip your fork in dressing and then get the salad. You use way less dressing that way but still get the taste!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    These recipes sounds delicious! But, what's the expiration date for home made salad dressing??

I've never had mine last more than 2 weeks (as in, I use it all before then), but they definitely keep well for 14 days in a tightly sealed container (they do separate after a couple of days though, so you need to shake or stir them). :smile:

-Christina
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My fav salad dressing is simple... McCormick's Salad Supreme, some fresh cracked pepper, a tsp of oil (I prefer EVOO) and a nice balsamic vinegar. simple and actually fairly healthy. EVOO is one of the good fats (remember to be limiting and measure).
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you like blue cheese dressing, I would definitely recommend making this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/04/low-fat-creamy-blue-cheese-dressing.html

I'm the same way - I love salads but HATE low calorie dressings. They all taste terrible. And if you eat regular dressing, it counteracts your healthy salad. This dressing is super easy to make and does not taste at all like it's low calorie. I make it ALL of the time and have never gotten sick of it!!!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    To each his own, but I really like the Walden Farms Zero Calorie Balsamic.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Try Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressing ( the caeser parmegianno is awesome) It is natural and made with yogurt, tastes great and no funky aftertaste!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Make your own, measure out the serving size or do the fork dip.
  • nikkim19781
    nikkim19781 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Make your own dressing. :smile: I have a couple of bad azz recipes, if you're interested in something other than plain ol' oil and vinegar. :happy: You'll never buy store bought dressings again :tongue:

I would love to have some of these recipes!
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and red vinegar w/ salt and pepper all damn day.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Make your own dressing. :smile: I have a couple of bad azz recipes, if you're interested in something other than plain ol' oil and vinegar. :happy: You'll never buy store bought dressings again :tongue:

I would love to have some of these recipes!

I posted them already - they're towards the bottom of page 1 :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I love to eat salads - low calorie, lots of essential vitamins and nutrients. I spice mine up with a little meat and cheese so as to try to keep it a balanced meal. Then I get to the dressing.. and I wince every time. Is salad dressing a huge blow to my meal? Most of the content is fat, even if the calorie content is not THAT detrimental. Can someone who knows more about nutrition than I help me?

I usually make my own and use olive oil.

Also, it sounds like you have a negative relationship with dietary fat. Fat isn't the devil and fat doesn't make you fat. Fat is an essential macro-nutrient for heart health, organ function, brain function, hormone balance, etc. Everyone should be getting around 20-30% of their calories daily...more if you do low carb, Paleo, etc.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I love to eat salads - low calorie, lots of essential vitamins and nutrients. I spice mine up with a little meat and cheese so as to try to keep it a balanced meal. Then I get to the dressing.. and I wince every time. Is salad dressing a huge blow to my meal? Most of the content is fat, even if the calorie content is not THAT detrimental. Can someone who knows more about nutrition than I help me?
    Fat is important in your diet. Without fat you wouldn't be able to absorb the vitamins and nutrients in those vegetables. I tend to hate dressings so I'll add high fat nuts, bacon, and goat cheese to my salads.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jared0725
    Jared0725 Posts: 5
    Options
    I always enjoy a little salsa on my salad, Gives it a nice flavor.
  • AngAndrews
    AngAndrews Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms Yogurt dressing is pretty awesome. I buy the Blue Cheese and love it; and I don't even like yogurt! I'll put a little lime juice and olive oil as well.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    FLAVOR. I agree with those who say don't worry about a little fat, esp. olive oil, but if you want to keep calories down while enjoying a full-fat dressing, focus on dressings with a lot of flavor because then you can use about half the dressing and still get plenty of dressing. Adding a little bit of good salt--not table salt, the good salts really have a much better flavor--helps by offsetting the natural bitterness in greens. It's that bitterness that most people are trying to mask with dressing.

Here's one thing I do...I put the greens in the bowl and then dress them. THEN I add the other ingredients. Why? You just need enough dressing to flavor and overcome the bitterness in the greens. The other ingredients don't need it. If you dress after adding the ingredients, you take in far more dressing than you need and you're masking some pretty nice flavors from tomatoes, peppers, meats, etc.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options

That fat is good for you! Just not too much of it.

Buy or make luscious high-fat salad dressings. DON'T go for low-cal dressings - they are AWFUL - not to mention all the extra junk thrown in there that is not very good for you.

Don't put your dressing on your salad. Put it in a little custard cup. When you eat your salad, dip your fork in the dressing and then take a bite of your clean (undressed) salad greens. A tiny bit of dressing will cling to the times of your fork, your bite will taste wonderful, and you won't eat very much dressing.

I much prefer this method to the old drown-the-greens-in-dressing method. Like the new 'clean' taste of my salads!!