Why do most fastfood items have less calories internaionally?

Options
124»

Replies

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It's a national conspiracy by the US government to fatten up Americans.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    So were did MacDonalds get there meat from in Holland to make chicken nuggets lol
    I know which one i would chose

I would choose the one with a lot more protein and fat, more nutrients. Oops, that's the American one.

Unless you actually care about nutrients and calories at the same time and read the label and do the math... The dutch one has more protein for example for the same calorie content. Oops, seems like you chose the one with less protein per caloric content...

As someone who moved to North America some years ago, yes, there is a lot of stuff added to food and not just because of government subsidies. I am not saying sugars are the devil, but is's annoying as heck to have them added (so upping the calories) to things that don't need them.

They add them because the population wants them - they buy the sweeter yoghurt than the unsweetened one, I can only get european-tasting yoghurt here from companies that cater to ethnic minorities. People buy strawberry jam with added colour to it for reason's sake! Who needs additional red in a strawberry jam or blue ina blueberry jam? The buyers do, that's who. Now it's a hunt to find an uncoloured one.

People here (in general) want somethng that looks and tastes "bigger than life". Then they complain when they get what they aksed for.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    My guess is size and I believe some countries don't put sugar in their bread.

So is everything American sweetened with sugar?

No, HFCS is more popular but if you include that then many foods aim for the optimum enjoyment combo of sugar, fat and salt.

HFCS is sugar isn't it? The f being the important word?

Fructose right?

High Fructose Corn Syrup is subsidized by the government. Sugar and corn is, which means the industry puts it in everything because it's incredibly cheap. It's the government that wants this, and unfortunately us Americans are accustomed to it.

Plus salt, sugar and fat has been proven to be addicting.

I don't agree with it, so I do my part by forgoing anything with HFCS in it. There's no reason that normal sandwich bread needs to be sweetened with sugar. In fact, the books I have on bread baking often use no sugar at all.

So, by your logic, we shouldn't consume items the farmers grow where they receive a subsidy? I wonder how many food items aren't grown with a subsidy? Hmmm....

I said that I don't agree with HFCS being in everything so I consume products without it. That's my personal choice.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Do you have to use fast food? I had to once for breakfast, and I found plain oatmeal, apple slices, skim milk, and black coffee.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    My guess is size and I believe some countries don't put sugar in their bread.

So is everything American sweetened with sugar?

No, HFCS is more popular but if you include that then many foods aim for the optimum enjoyment combo of sugar, fat and salt.

HFCS is sugar isn't it? The f being the important word?

Fructose right?

HFCS contains sugarS and is produced by the corn / starch industry. Sugar is a crystalline product made by the sugar industry. Not the same thing. Liquid vs solid, etc.

There's a lot of glucose in HFCS as well as the F.

Admittedly I'm not an expert but hfcs appear to contain 2 sugars which make up like 80% of its volume.

If something is 80% sugar isn't it safe to call it sugar?

There is a lot of glucose in hfcs a long with the f? So there is a lot of sugar a long with another type of sugar?

:smiley:
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    What cracks me up is I have to argue with them to give me more than 4 ice cubes. Guys you're saving product if you give me what I want.
    Do Aussies really rather a full cup of warm soda?

I don't know what incident prompted this question - but No, Australians do not drink warm soda( soft drink as we call it)

I am Australian and I have to ask for more ice every single time I am at a fast food place. And I have seen Aussies return a cup to the counter because there was too much ice and not enough "cool drink" as they call it.

Well, I am also Australian, never lived anywhere else, and I've NEVER heard anyone call it "cool drink". Except as a general descriptor - "Let's go get a cool drink" on a hot day. I've also never had issues with ice at McDonalds.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Germans do the same thing with drink, especially sodas. Folks, I completely boycott HFCS. It isn't a healthy option.
  • alanahp93
    alanahp93 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I remember going on holiday to America once when I was in my early teens (I live in the UK) and I was super shocked by how BIG all the food was, pancakes stacked like towers on my plate! Large burgers bigger than my head! Also everything tasted much diffrent.... like they put a lot of sugar/salt in everything?