What's the first thing you cut out to help in weight loss

Options
Just curious. I know some cut out sweets while some cut out carbs while some cut out starches to help. I cut back on sweets and empty calories

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I cut out nothing, seriously. Smaller portions that fit into my calorie goal and it didn't even feel like a diet.
  • BiggieSmallsInc
    BiggieSmallsInc Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Soda...
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Eating too many calories. The first and only thing I cut out, really.
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Alcohol. I eat a lot as is, but for some reason when I drink alcohol I eat so much more than I should.
  • samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The only thing I cut out completely is beer, but I find it hard to stick to my calorie goal if I eat chocolate, cake or ice-cream so I limit those to a minimum.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I cut out nothing. I eat everything in moderation.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm not one of those "eat everything in moderation" peeps of mfp. I don't really eat bread or pasta (unless it's homemade) when I'm cutting, or maintaining. Doesn't fit well. I just put everything I'd want in a sandwich or taco on a salad.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I try for moderation and when that fails, cut out sweets and alcohol. But I'm making a concerted effort to "get" this moderation thing, as I think that is the key to the puzzle to avoid over eating. For me, at any rate. Now moderation succeeds about 80% of the time. The other 20% is why I'm here, basically.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Eating too many calories. The first and only thing I cut out, really.

This
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Bread, pasta, caloric drinks, except my coffee and wine!
    I brought rice and potatoes back in the mix because it's helps with digestion issues.
    I also do more walking than I have before. I don't always the the calories back but feels good to have them in the bank!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    I reduced the number of calories I consume.

I still eat a wide variety of food, and there's nothing off limits. But there are a few things which I have discovered aren't worth it ... like pears, for example. Pears are a high calorie fruit with no staying power. I'm hungry about 20 min after I eat one. And cashews ... high calorie, no staying power.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    For me, I completely stopped buying multi-pack or 'share' packets of junk food. I used to convince myself that I'd buy a big pack and then spread it out over the week or whatever, but I'd always end up eating the whole thing in a day or two. So now, if I really fancy a 'treat' I'll buy a small, normal-sized portion of it.

That way you don't have the option to eat way too much of it. :)
  • elias1609
    elias1609 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, Soda
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I try for moderation and when that fails, cut out sweets and alcohol. But I'm making a concerted effort to "get" this moderation thing, as I think that is the key to the puzzle to avoid over eating. For me, at any rate. Now moderation succeeds about 80% of the time. The other 20% is why I'm here, basically.

It took me about two years to get it right. I have surprised myself with controlling cereal, ice cream, and restaurant foods, which I had always convinced myself I couldn't moderate. I'm even working on some cookies a friend gave me last night. I had one then, and one tonight. The old me would have inhaled them so fast..

OP, I have tried cutting out things in the past, and always felt like a failure when it only worked for a short period. I feel better knowing that I can have a treat if I want one, without derailing everything I have worked toward. It has taken a long time to get it right though.
  • kaydmic0315
    kaydmic0315 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had to cut out lots of sugar and creamer in my coffee. I take it like desert. I wake up and drink 2. Then another 2-3 at work. It left no room for breakfast. Or water. I was famished when I got home. This has made my eating much more mindful.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I should add that my decision to not eat certain foods doesn't really help me in my weight loss, just in how satisfied/full I feel. I know that I could still eat those things and lose weight.
  • peralesmary
    peralesmary Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Soda & alcohol!!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The quantity of food I was eating. I didn't cut out any foods though.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Pop, alcohol. If you really want them and can fit them into your daily calorie goals though, go for it. Personally, I want to feel full on my 1310 calories per day. Using up 150 calories on pop or booze isn't going to cut it for me. I never really liked pop so that was easy. Red wine, on the other hand - that was a tough one but I need to lose weight to be healthy so it's worth it. Once I'm at maintenance I will probably re-add a bit of the red wine!

I don't believe in low carb or low fat or fad diet this or that. I believe that we simply need to retrain ourselves to eat better, and less.

I still eat butter. I still eat real sugar. Just way, way less, and I pre-log my days so I know that all of it fits into my calorie goals.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Bread, pasta and pastries...doctors orders thanx to allergies...but within one month of cutting those three things, my waistline started melting away!