Anyone else "big boned"?

Options

Replies

• Ash1983ley
    Ash1983ley Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm big boned. I'm also 5'10. I'm skinny at 170 pounds. It's not awesome. lol
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is my height and weighs 104lbs but probably has a slightly higher body fat percentage.

I hope you meant 140 pounds.

Nope. She's really got a tiny little frame, but she doesn't appear to "too skinny". I'd guess her body fat percentage is 25% (and it's all on her stomach with nothing on her hips or limbs).
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm big boned. I'm also 5'10. I'm skinny at 170 pounds. It's not awesome. lol

Why not? Who cares what the number on the scale says? If you are fit at 170, that is awesome.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is my height and weighs 104lbs but probably has a slightly higher body fat percentage.

I hope you meant 140 pounds.

Nope. She's really got a tiny little frame, but she doesn't appear to "too skinny". I'd guess her body fat percentage is 25% (and it's all on her stomach with nothing on her hips or limbs).
    Wow. My friend is 5'4" and very small-framed and at 104 she was perfect. I can't imagine someone at 5'9" weighing so little!
  • 07JKGirl
    07JKGirl Posts: 45
    Options
    I have a large bone structure and am naturally muscular (under the fat). I have accepted that even if II lose what I want and am wearing the same smaller same size clothing at the girl next to me, I will probably still outweigh her by 20 pounds. In the grand scheme of things, it's not really that important. You can still achieve your goals, providing they are realistic.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    It's not the issue for everyone here being "big boned". It's being "over fat" for their particular frame.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I'm large-framed. Not big-boned. I'm 5'5" and according to wrist & elbow measurements, I fall into the large frame category. That being said, I wear size small in Misses, medium in Juniors, a size 6 dress, size 4 & 6 pants & jeans, size 8 wedding gown. I weigh between 138-141 depending on the day. I have a goodish bit of muscle on me now, when I was in high school (over 20 years ago), I wasn't even a 4-6 and I only weighed about 120lbs. It honestly depends more on your body fat % than how large your frame is.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a fat skeleton.
  • CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has been said but I think a better, more realistic approach is frame, not bone size. I've done a lot of research at my university involving bone structure and I don't see a whole lot of science backing up this concept of being "bigger boned." I think frame is legitimate though. Using myself as an example, I'm only 107lbs at 5'6'', but I look about 10lbs heavier which is fantastic. I look healthy and well-proportioned, and this is due to a very petite frame. I've talked to doctors to make sure I'm healthy, and I am as my legs are disproportionally longer than they should be to my torso. No complaints there! So don't fret about the scale, take your own unique frame into consideration when on your fitness journey. Just my two cents:)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was wondering, if this big boned story is really true, and if there is anyone out there that has still achieved their goals with a bigger frame? I'm about 1.66m (5'5'') and weight 76.8kg (170), want to go down to 65kg (143), but I have always been told I'm big boned, and honestly I DO have some large shoulders!!
    Will I ever get the figure I want?? :(

Any stories/advice/opinions appreciated :D

I have wondered about this often. I have googled it too.

Today I saw a post from a girl who was 20 pounds lighter than me but ony 1.5 inches shorter (I an not big). I started to wonder is it bone or muscle?

I have tried the online calculator and it says I have a small frame? It goes by your wrist size. I am unsure if this is accurate.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I don't know if this has been said but I think a better, more realistic approach is frame, not bone size.

And like the "muscle weighs more than fat" arguments, it's semantics. You KNOW what people mean when theyu say it, but heaven forbid they don't say it exactly right.
  • CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has been said but I think a better, more realistic approach is frame, not bone size.

And like the "muscle weighs more than fat" arguments, it's semantics. You KNOW what people mean when theyu say it, but heaven forbid they don't say it exactly right.

Cool your jets.
  • rml_16
    Options

Cool your jets.
    My jets are perfectly cooled. The argument is stupid.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    *laughs at the ideal weight range for someone of her height*

112 to 151 pounds.....

Man at 5'5", below about 130 pounds I look sick.
    Bones everywhere. *shudder*
    Even at my lowest weight (125 pounds in highschool) I still had to wear a mans sized/cut jacket for marching band (ribcage alone was 37 inches and that was when I was looking boney) . And even at my best in shape weight of 132# and ~18% bf (still a 37 inch ribcage)....I still wore a medium, or even a large shirt. Dang this manly frame!

Very jealous of females with small or even medium frames.

But my large frame if not the cause for what I weight now.....just means I'll never be one of those petite-looking people.

I also have great bone density.....I light up an xray.....I often joke that I probably have a lot of Neanderthal DNA.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    i hope somebody has posted a cartman gif at some point in this thread.

if not, i would be sorely disappointed.

seriously though, one person's bones may be bigger/longer if that person is taller than another, but everything still has to be in proportion to the difference in height.

Soldiers-Short-Tall-and.jpg

people of the same height and gender will have roughly the same sized bones. there is no such thing as being big boned compared to another person of the same height and gender (barring some genetic bone disease or somesuch).

386206_2485304664822_1446516688_n-300x300.jpg
  • Karleh
    Karleh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No one is big boned, you ever seen a fat skeleton?
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options

I agree. Arguing over semantics as if you have no clue what the person is trying to say...annoying.
  • shannonerdelyi
    shannonerdelyi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just measured my wrist and it's 6.7 inches! I'm only 5'6, so I guess that puts me in the "large" frame category. My sister is an imagining technician and always rants about how she wants to x-ray my big hands. We often joke about the "man hands" episode of seinfeld.

I think your frame can definitely impact your weight, but using the "big boned" line sounds like a bit of an excuse. How you look and feel is usually a better indication of fitness and health than the number on the scale!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I like big bones :tongue:

Naughty!!

...and hawt. :flowerforyou:
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 inch wrist.

It is not fat.

I am a 5'4" woman.

So what's this about its not possible for my bone structure to be larger than a woman with a 4 inch wrist?

I must have failed at measuring.