If you have food senstivities/allergies, what are they?

13»

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited December 2015
    I was injured by a med that was incorrectly prescribed to me. It caused me to develop a histamine intolerance. So, I had to go on an elimination diet to figure out what I can eat. So, I can eat nuts, some seeds (I can't eat hemp or pumpkin), quinoa, vegetables, fruit, coconut, chickpeas.

I react worse to animal products (all meats, eggs, dairy) and to oils.
  • Jillasmar
    Jillasmar Posts: 85 Member
    Gluten, sucrose, and egg
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Lactose intolerant, fructose intolerant, non celiac gluten intolerant, all grains, sugar (SIBO), fish, beef, eggs. So basically everything lol :(
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    I should be intolerant of sugar (recovering diabetic) but have been okay with it other than noticing that a rather large wound won't heal. I am allergic to bananas, and get major indigestion if I eat raw green bell pepper or plain cucumber (though pickles are probably served in Heaven, they're so good).
  • disneyprincess22
    disneyprincess22 Posts: 12 Member
    My mom is allergic to kiwi skin and swiss cheese. My sister is allergic to apples, cherries, and a food dye. I am allergic to xanthan gum, annatto, and penicillium mold. Recently, I cut out wheat and dairy to help alleviate my chronic allergy symptoms. I was prescribed a couple allergy medications but even after a few weeks, they didn't help much. I really saw a difference after the wheat/dairy was gone but yesterday I had a brownie and part of a Hershey bar. Shortly thereafter, my nose was runny and today I am so stuffy and feel bleh. I should have baked the GF, gum free brownie mix I was so excited to find at the store, but I didn't want to be "that person" bringing their own food/the weird food to share that no one else wants to eat.

My mom once thought she was sensitive to gluten, she didn't eat it for a few days, claimed to feel great, then went back to gluten. She now hops back and forth. The rest of my family makes fun of her so I am not sharing my dairy/wheat thing with them. Not for a while.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I can't have gluten, milk, mushrooms, or red onions. Gluten makes me constipated, gives me a terrible stomachache, and makes me break out in hives. My great-aunt has celiac, but i've never been tested, since I'm still on my parents' insurance as a student and they don't believe me when I show them the hives and tell them why I think I'm getting them.

Can't have milk due to a lactose intolerance. They used to feed me lactose-free formula as a baby when they found out that I didn't scream my head off when they fed me lactose free formula, but they started giving me milk again when I was a kid for some reason, so that caused all sorts of problems hen I was younger and couldn't figure out why I felt so sick after they gave me a bowl of ice cream.

Mushrooms cause horrible stomach cramps. I don't know why. It's a shame, because I really like mushrooms.

The taste of red onions just linger in my mouth forever. Once again, I don't know why. I just know that I always end up having to take some chewable papaya enzymes to get rid of the taste whenever I eat them.

I completely understand. No one ever believes me, even as I die in the bathroom, or show them my hives that last for days....getting testing for celiac is only great for us, because even that proof doesn't convince some people that allergies are real. My own mother decided to inform me that I don't know what I'm talking about, she saw a program on tv that said it's all a scam, there is no such thing as gluten allergies...lol..this while I was trying to decide what to order, knowing just about anything would get me, and that I would regret it for days if I chose the wrong thing. I've gotten to a point that I just politely smile and nod, they don't have to understand. They don't live in my body. Good luck xo

Technically speaking, there is no such thing as a gluten allergy. One can have a gluten sensitivity/intolerance such as non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) or celiac disease, and / or an allergy to wheat. They are different things.

Be aware that those who have the celiac rash (dermatitis herpetiformis) have a higher likelihood of having negative celac blood tests or biopsy than celiacs without the dh rash. Those with dh may need the (beside the rash) skin biopsy done in order to get a celiac diagnosis.

Remember that one must be consuming gluten in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing in order to have the most accurate tests possible.
  • wendyhubb
    wendyhubb Posts: 1 Member
    Gluten. Not been tested but I've had digestive issues my whole life and the worst of it the last 2. So after many tests and hours of stomach pains and trips to the er I went gfree and I feel like a new person. Now it's time to diet as well as being gfree. Time to loose this weight, get my thyroid in control and continue to b gfree
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Deathly allergic to strawberries, talking anaphylaxis. Have egg sensitivity but I still eat them in small amounts occasionally when I know I can stay at home near the bathroom. I LOVE eggs. I have gone from having rashes and GI upset with eggs to just the GI upset. I can live with that.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    My food intolerance causes severe neuropathic pain in my face. I don't have digestive issues. I have an immune disorder. From medical injury.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    I have an odd thing with oats that the back of my knees/legs itch within a day or so of eating them. I have other non food allergies and contact urticaria (torso only!) but this is a relatively new association I found.

I randomly stopped eating muesli/cereal bars and itching went away!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    I'm allergic to
    Shrimp - carry an epi pen
    Watermelon