Eating clean?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    So long as you can find a way to think you're more righteous for not eating it, you're clean eating.

I think you've crystalized it.
  • lemurcat12
    edited December 2015
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Um, okay. We obviously have very different definitions of "clean eating" so I guess I need a little context. How does health figure in?

In my opinion? In a dietary sense, by eating a reasonable, varied, balanced diet which provides adequate calories, macro and micronutrients. In a more broad/overall sense, by mixing in reasonable amounts of exercise, maintaining a healthy body weight/composition and a sound mental outlook on life.

Well sure, that's true. But when you hear someone say "clean eating" is that what you think you mean?

Quite often on this forum it is used as a synonym for healthy eating.

Others seem to assume that eating "clean" is how one eats healthy, so ask "is X clean" basically meaning "is this a good food to add to my diet" or "is this food bad for me or bad for my weight loss plan." The problem with that is that "clean" is (again) a self-defined term that merely refers to avoiding certain categories of food (which vary quite a bit clean eater to clean eater), so the only person who can answer whether a particular food is "clean" is the individual eater -- something that many newbie "clean eaters" seem not to understand. Trying to "eat clean" without having a good reason that you can articulate for what you are avoiding doesn't make sense to me.

And since usually the articulated reason, if any is given, relates to health and nutrition, it's worth pointing out that many processed foods may further such goals. (Especially since processed foods would include stuff like smoked salmon, plain greek yogurt, cottage cheese, whole grains, etc.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Um, okay. We obviously have very different definitions of "clean eating" so I guess I need a little context. How does health figure in?

In my opinion? In a dietary sense, by eating a reasonable, varied, balanced diet which provides adequate calories, macro and micronutrients. In a more broad/overall sense, by mixing in reasonable amounts of exercise, maintaining a healthy body weight/composition and a sound mental outlook on life.

Well sure, that's true. But when you hear someone say "clean eating" is that what you think you mean?

Others seem to assume that eating "clean" is how one eats healthy, so ask "is X clean" basically meaning "is this a good food to add to my diet" or "is this food bad for me or bad for my weight loss plan." The problem with that is that "clean" is (again) a self-defined term that merely refers to avoiding certain categories of food (which vary quite a bit clean eater to clean eater), so the only person who can answer whether a particular food is "clean" is the individual eater -- something that many newbie "clean eaters" seem not to understand.

It's not always (or maybe even usually) a self-defined term. I learned the term decades ago, but I didn't self define it. Someone else defined it and I then heard/read about it.

I doubt many people self-define the term. They read about it or are told about it and accept someone else's definition.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Others seem to assume that eating "clean" is how one eats healthy, so ask "is X clean" basically meaning "is this a good food to add to my diet" or "is this food bad for me or bad for my weight loss plan." The problem with that is that "clean" is (again) a self-defined term that merely refers to avoiding certain categories of food (which vary quite a bit clean eater to clean eater), so the only person who can answer whether a particular food is "clean" is the individual eater -- something that many newbie "clean eaters" seem not to understand.

It's not always (or maybe even usually) a self-defined term. I learned the term decades ago, but I didn't self define it. Someone else defined it and I then heard/read about it.

I doubt many people self-define the term. They read about it or are told about it and accept someone else's definition.

Maybe it is not self defined, but the implementation of the definition certainly varies by the individual. The context of what is and isn't clean, as @lemurcat12 points out, is almost always what the posters are getting at. And then, the subjectivity of other people's "clean rules" come into play and that's where the debate ensues.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Maybe it is not self defined, but the implementation of the definition certainly varies by the individual. The context of what is and isn't clean, as @lemurcat12 points out, is almost always what the posters are getting at. And then, the subjectivity of other people's "clean rules" come into play and that's where the debate ensues.

Agreed. But wouldn't the world be a nicer place if everyone just answered the question with how they define the term instead of b****ing and moaning about how it has no meaning and judging everyone that uses it?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    kajalpoit wrote: »
    Hi all!

Im new to MFP and was wondering if someone could explain what 'clean eating' involves and do you have an open diary as i would love some support and advice.
    Thank you xx

Clean eating is: arbitrarily choose a subset of foods not to eat, for whatever reason you feel is right, then don't eat those foods.

Boom. you're eating clean.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Agreed. But wouldn't the world be a nicer place if everyone just answered the question with how they define the term instead of b****ing and moaning about how it has no meaning and judging everyone that uses it?

Oh come on, where's the fun in that? If we stop arguing about clean eating and we can't debate whether sugar is addictive, how will we spend our time?
  • lemurcat12
    Options

It ends up being self-defined in practice. People claim they don't eat "processed foods" and then eat cold cuts and Chipotle and bacon and protein powder, to use a specific example I've seen on MFP.

The bigger question is when someone asks "is X clean" or "is clean eating helpful" you need to know what the person means by "clean eating," as there are various definitions. And that always causes me to wonder -- if you don't understand the rules you are eating by well enough to know if some food fits or not, why do it? I think rules can be helpful in making a transition to healthier eating, sure -- I try to get protein and vegetables at every meal, for example, and generally prefer whole grains to refined where I have a choice, I limit added sugar and high cal/low nutrient items, and prefer to cook from scratch or go to high quality restaurants, and so on -- a variety of other things, although none that are without exception such that if refined grains touched my lips I'd think they were unclean or whatever. But the point is that I have those rules for myself for reasons I could explain. And I don't think they should apply to others, necessarily, so I don't claim that eating my way is "clean" and other ways is not. There are numerous ways to eat in a healthful manner, and IMO no way of eating is "cleaner" than another.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

No, because I think it's important to make the point that there is no settled meaning and to answer the question we'd need to understand how OP defines it. Often the OP seems to think there is some set meaning and that it does map on to what's healthy, such that eating "unclean" foods (foods not on whatever plan OP is following) is not consistent with good nutrition or health, and that's an idea worth disagreeing with.

But I try to say "I don't use the term and it has a variety of different meanings, so depends on what it means to you. Typically I think it means trying to mostly cook from whole foods, and if so that's something I personally like to do, although not exclusively, as I like to go to nice local restaurants and occasionally eat ethnic foods I don't know how to cook well and will use staples like dried pasta and yogurt and smoked salmon, etc." I don't think that's so horrible as a response, but YMMV, of course.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Is organic skim milk clean? Curious.

It depends upon whose definition of "clean" you're using. A vegan wouldn't consider milk "clean", nor would a keto person or a paleo adherent.

As Ninerbuff said, there's no real meaning to "clean eating". It's a subjective phrase based upon each person's biases/preferences.

The very vague concept of "clean" has absolutely nothing to do with vegans not consuming milk. As an ethical vegan, I don't care if milk is "clean" or not; that has absolutely nothing to do with my decision not to consume it. I do not consume dairy because I do not agree with the methods necessary to obtain milk from other animals.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

It ends up being self-defined in practice. People claim they don't eat "processed foods" and then eat cold cuts and Chipotle and bacon and protein powder, to use a specific example I've seen on MFP.

The bigger question is when someone asks "is X clean" or "is clean eating helpful" you need to know what the person means by "clean eating," as there are various definitions. And that always causes me to wonder -- if you don't understand the rules you are eating by well enough to know if some food fits or not, why do it?

The fact that others define the term differently is no indication that the person asking the question does not have and understand their own definition. Nor is asking if X is clean. I think for many people the term is not as black and white as the poo-pooers on this site would like to think.

Take the frozen fruit that came up earlier. Is it clean? I would say it's pretty clean, though not as clean as a strawberry grown without synthetics picked straight from the vine. Others might see no difference and others might not consider it clean because there are changes to food when frozen. Yet we might all define the term in the same manner. These small differences in practice don't really mean the term is not defined or even ill defined.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Oh come on, where's the fun in that? If we stop arguing about clean eating and we can't debate whether sugar is addictive, how will we spend our time?

Being helpful and nice? ::flowerforyou::
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

It depends upon whose definition of "clean" you're using. A vegan wouldn't consider milk "clean", nor would a keto person or a paleo adherent.

As Ninerbuff said, there's no real meaning to "clean eating". It's a subjective phrase based upon each person's biases/preferences.

The very vague concept of "clean" has absolutely nothing to do with vegans not consuming milk. As an ethical vegan, I don't care if milk is "clean" or not; that has absolutely nothing to do with my decision not to consume it. I do not consume dairy because I do not agree with the methods necessary to obtain milk from other animals.

Thank you for that clarification. I thought the same but not being vegan or paleo or keto I wasn't really sure. The only people IRL I know that follow a restrictive diet are low carb or vegetarian. I've never heard any of them refer to the foods they restrict as "unclean".
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Didn't you ever see Deadwood? Canned peaches were a treat item.

It's not uncommon for people's grandparents and great-grandparents to have bought such things from the general store (my grandfather on one side even ran the town's general store in an area where fresh food was not available much of the year). Also, given that we saw above that some claim any grains are "unclean," obviously grains were common in prior generations. My own great great great (I dunno, I'd have to look it up) grandparents even had the first mill in their Iowa county. Guess they were among the harbingers of uncleanliness in the US midwest.
    Well, personally I'd say there's a massive difference between someone making their own bread from their own mill 100+ years ago versus someone getting a random loaf of white bread off the shelf at a commercial grocery store today. There's no question that in general (I realize there are some exceptions), the ingredient list is probably not going to be even close. And to further illustrate my point, I'll refer to this earlier post in the thread.

You do know, right, that the definition of "unclean" foods is not limited to things with lots of added ingredients of the sort you are referring to, right? I'd say if you think there's something wrong with some ingredient, don't consume it, but just assuming that it has a chemical name so must be somehow bad for you isn't sensible, IMO. I made homemade pizza a few days ago (I'm sure not clean -- it involved white flour and a bit of sugar). I could buy pretty similar pizza depending on where I purchased it (local Italian place, for example), so trying to say one is "clean" and one not is silly.

As for Hawaiian Punch, apart from "clean" or not it's way too sweet for me and seems like a drink that would appeal perhaps to kids, not adults. But the main difference between it and the homemade punch is not the preservatives, but the added sugar, which adds tons of calories, and the absence of micronutrients. Someone who craves HP likely would dump lots of added sugar in homemade punch and if so it's just as caloric and thus IMO not much of an advantage.

But go back to my mac and cheese example for a similar point that you ignored before.
    In my family we make a lot of things from scratch, including pizza. In terms of validating how "clean" one pizza is from another, I would look at the main components: dough, sauce, cheese, and any other toppings. If you made your own pizza dough and then put on the sauce and toppings, then based on what it sounds like you did I wouldn't necessarily call that "unclean". I'm looking at all of this from a more "complete" perspective. So with something like Hawaiian punch, I do agree that the added sugar difference you mentioned would separate one being mostly "clean" from the other, but I'd also include the other "stuff" that would be thrown in for a commercial variety today.

With mac-and-cheese, I'm assuming you mean this post:
    In that I don't like Kraft mac and cheese and love homemade mac and cheese, I will agree they are different. Sadly, the stuff I like has many more calories, so homemade or not, clean or not (who knows what clean means), it still doesn't usually fit in my day. (On Thanksgiving, sure!)
    So, if I understand what you're saying, since mac-and-cheese is a calorie dense food, that doesn't fit in well with your macro and micro needs. But to me, it doesn't change the fact that homemade mac-and-cheese would mainly stick to the basics and not have a lot of other "stuff". Also, as a side note, homemade mac and-cheese is something that we don't do much in my family for other reasons. But even when we did to it regularly, it was never as fattening as what a typical homemade recipe would call for. I'm pretty sure we always put less cheese, even though we all thought it was plenty cheesy enough.

I'm going to go back to the pizza example in a minute.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The general idea I've gotten is eating food that's as close to unprocessed as possible. So like...nuts, fruits, vegetables, meats, eggs, etc. As opposed to prepackaged and very sugary/fatty foods like chips, cookies, frozen dinners, ice cream and things like that. It's really debatable but I thought I'd throw in my understanding since there's a lot of opinions on here.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Here's the ingredients in Hawaiian Punch:

Ingredients: Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup And 2% Or Less of Each of The Following: Concentrated Juices (Pineapple, Orange, Passionfruit, Apple), Purees (Apricot, Papaya, Guava), Citric Acid, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Pectin, Gum Acacia, Sucralose, Glycerol Ester of Wood Rosin, Sodium Hexametaphosphate

If I was in Hawaii and wanted to make some punch, I'd probably leave out the Ester of Wood Rosin and Sodium Hexametaphosphate. If I did want to add those ingredients, I might want to visit a hardware store or the chemistry lab of a local high school. I think to do such a thing though, would make the punch very, very dirty, in comparison to, say, the homemade variety. Where the fresh fruit was pressed in a juicer with some sugar and ice cubes added.

This is one of the most bizarre examples I've seen put forward on MFP boards. Are there a lot of adults who drink Hawaiian punch? In Hawaii, or anywhere else in the world? Are there a lot of people trying to find a "clean" version of Hawaiian punch?
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    The general idea I've gotten is eating food that's as close to unprocessed as possible. So like...nuts, fruits, vegetables, meats, eggs, etc. As opposed to prepackaged and very sugary/fatty foods like chips, cookies, frozen dinners, ice cream and things like that. It's really debatable but I thought I'd throw in my understanding since there's a lot of opinions on here.

Interesting example since some nuts, if not processed, are actually toxic. Cashews I think?
  • lemurcat12
    Options

The bigger question is when someone asks "is X clean" or "is clean eating helpful" you need to know what the person means by "clean eating," as there are various definitions. And that always causes me to wonder -- if you don't understand the rules you are eating by well enough to know if some food fits or not, why do it?

The fact that others define the term differently is no indication that the person asking the question does not have and understand their own definition.

True. That's not what I'm basing the opinion on. I'm basing it on what I often see here.
    Nor is asking if X is clean.

I disagree. Asking the population at large at MFP if something is clean without specifying your own definition indicates that you don't understand that there's not, in fact, a cut and dried definition of clean that people agree on, and asking if, say, "greek yogurt" is clean demonstrates that you don't actually have a firm understanding of what "clean" is, even in your own usage, and think there's some clear outside standard in which it is or not. On the other hand, if someone was simply applying standards they understood, they'd easily be able to answer that question without asking others.
    Take the frozen fruit that came up earlier. Is it clean? I would say it's pretty clean, though not as clean as a strawberry grown without synthetics picked straight from the vine. Others might see no difference and others might not consider it clean because there are changes to food when frozen. Yet we might all define the term in the same manner. These small differences in practice don't really mean the term is not defined or even ill defined.

What does using the term "clean" add. If someone says the definition of "clean" is "not processed," then frozen fruit is. (But it's no worse than non frozen fruit from a nutritional standpoint and might be better, depending.) If someone says it means certain additives are included, then it likely is "clean." But there's no way to know what definition is meant and the people who use it don't usually seem to really understand.

I'd add that it seems odd to call frozen fruit "unclean" but not a fruit from far away (like the banana I had this morning) or out of season (like most fruit I'd eat now where I live).

Most of the time when people talk about "clean" they either mean they are avoiding certain additives, in which case I'd be interested in which ones and why (although I do think that's the more understandable meaning of the term), OR they claim to be talking about processed foods in general, which encompass a huge range of foods. When they use the latter, they often usually seem to think (or specifically claim) that processed=unhealthful or low in nutrients and neither of those is inherently true. Smoked salmon and greek yogurt and a premade frozen dinner from whole nutrient-rich ingredients and HungryMan TV dinners and Twinkies are all processed foods, but they encompass a wide variety of differences and calling all "unclean" or trying to figure out which are "clean" and which are not doesn't seem to do anything to illuminate the real question, which has to do with nutrition, health, taste, calories (IMO). At least, when people start explaining what "clean eating" means to them, they usually do talk about these things.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

That may be true for you, and I appreciate your POV and honesty (the idea that dairy is bad because "unnatural" is quite common in discussions here). However, it's clear that for some vegan and clean are intertwined. From a current opening post:
    I've chosen to go a lot more clean this year. I've had EXTREMELY limited experiences as a vegan, and I always hoped I would return to that lifestyle when I can finally move out and away from the people I live with now, so I was hoping that this year, I would go - as I call it - 99.9% vegan. I would eat vegan, but I would also have seafood and certain types of chicken, but not all. No red meat, no more dairy (because I know what they do to cows to get that stuff). That way I'd not only be eating cleaner, and more healthy, low calorie food, but I'd also be preparing myself to go full on vegan in the future....