What has been the hardest to give up?

Options

Replies

• Car_vajal
    Car_vajal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Rich, dark stout beer. I will have one once in a while but I have cut way back and reach for a light cocktail option.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Confused why you would cut out your carbs completely????

I didn't cut them out, i still eat them in granola bars and things like that but i try to eat carbs that are better for you if that makes sense

Granola bars are nutritionally pretty in distinguishable from candy bars. One carb is no healthier than another carb.

So one would not expect health benefits from eating a high fiber diet vs. a low fiber diet? :huh:

Granola bars typically have virtually no fiber.

actually my nature valley ones have 3 grams and fiber one has about 5 or more

That's not a whole lot, and it's not like you can't get fiber places other than granola bars. I don't eat granola bars, just had a donut, and dumped 5 teaspoons of sugar into my coffee... and I'm not going to have a problem hitting my fiber goal today.
  • happywithme12
    happywithme12 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Not sure if re: is aware that veggies have tons of fiber, or that fiber can be supplemented.

I eat these things as well, what i am saying is that i had to give up certain things because having them once in a while is fine but if i have one i want to eat them all the time and per my doctor i should stay away from that stuff because that is how i gained weight, he told me not to eat bread, corn or pasta and i have lost 50 pounds in the last year so whatever i am doing must be working.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hit a minimum of 20 eating all kinds of carbs all kinds

Hit 30 grams fiber yesterday without any carb discrimination. What happen to the civic rights movement? Can't carbs all get along?
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I try not to give anything up completely, I believe you can lose weight and still eat all the things you like, in moderation.
    I've been trying to cut back on sugar though. Mainly sweets (Haribo).
    I just can't do sweets in moderation and I always end up eating the whole bag, so I try not to buy them anymore, which is VERY difficult but definitely worth it! I gave up sweets completely on may 30th and have only had them once since then (at the movies), and yes I ended up eating the whole bag, over 1200 calories worth! So I've just cut that out of my diet completely.
    I've also cut back on alcohol but that one isn't nearly as difficult. I now have a couple of glasses of wine maybe twice a month, that's it.

Apart from that:

eat_all_the_foods.gif
  • EvilFeevil
    EvilFeevil Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I didn't cut them out, i still eat them in granola bars and things like that but i try to eat carbs that are better for you if that makes sense

Granola bars are nutritionally pretty in distinguishable from candy bars. One carb is no healthier than another carb.
    I disagree. There are "good" and "bad" carbs, all depending how they break down in your body.

I'm quoting this from http://www.usgyms.net/goodfoods.htm:

Healthy carbohydrates are found in whole grains, beans, fruits and vegetables. Because they contain fiber, good carbs break down slowly in your body, thus avoiding fattening sugar spikes and the cravings that follow.

When you consume bad carbs, such as a cookie, a soda, a bag of chips or a piece of white bread, they are quickly broken down into glucose (blood sugar), which floods into the bloodstream. In response, your body produces insulin to allow glucose to enter cells for energy. If there is more glucose than the body requires to meet energy needs, the excess is stored as fat.
  • happywithme12
    Options

So one would not expect health benefits from eating a high fiber diet vs. a low fiber diet? :huh:

That's not a whole lot, and it's not like you can't get fiber places other than granola bars. I don't eat granola bars, just had a donut, and dumped 5 teaspoons of sugar into my coffee... and I'm not going to have a problem hitting my fiber goal today.

i get my fiber from other places, i eat granola bars because i enjoy them for my sweet tooth and they have less calories than some other things that i could be eating and have more benefit to me personally then a candy bar would.
  • killin_me_softly
    Options
    I didn't cut out anything but I do try to bake etc. and not fry foods.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    My insecurities
  • MidlifeGlowUp
    MidlifeGlowUp Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Cupcakes. Man, do I love cupcakes. Can't buy them, can't eat them and absolutely can't bake them.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    fattening sugar spikes

*facepalm*

That's not how "fattening" works.
    If there is more glucose than the body requires to meet energy needs, the excess is stored as fat.

Uh, yeah. That's why we eat a caloric deficit. If there's more of *any* macronutrient than the body needs for energy, the excess is stored as fat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

No confused a carb in a granola bar and a carb in a bowl of cereal would still be a carb. 1 carb = 4 calories.

There is a difference between the carbs in whole grain and things like table sugar though. I would imagine that is what she's talking about.

Wow this is news to me? I have been cutting all wrong? What's the difference? Holy cow I never heard this from a qualified source before? I need to read more health magazines...

Fiber is the difference. And yes, perhaps you should.

Confused as to why you could not get your 10-15 grams per 1000 kcals while still eating a variety of carb sources???? What mags should I pick up?

Confused as to your question since I never suggested you couldn't get carbs from a variety of sources.

As for reading material, I would suggest web sites or publications that have review of content by medical professionals in field of nutrition. My personal preference is Harvard School of Public Health, which has a great website and many publications and newletters. But any research univeristy or hospital would be a good start.
  • happywithme12
    Options

I disagree. There are "good" and "bad" carbs, all depending how they break down in your body.

I'm quoting this from http://www.usgyms.net/goodfoods.htm:

Healthy carbohydrates are found in whole grains, beans, fruits and vegetables. Because they contain fiber, good carbs break down slowly in your body, thus avoiding fattening sugar spikes and the cravings that follow.

When you consume bad carbs, such as a cookie, a soda, a bag of chips or a piece of white bread, they are quickly broken down into glucose (blood sugar), which floods into the bloodstream. In response, your body produces insulin to allow glucose to enter cells for energy. If there is more glucose than the body requires to meet energy needs, the excess is stored as fat.

Thank you that is very helpful
  • happywithme12
    Options
    My insecurities

This my friend is my favorite answer so far, I am still working on some of mine and hope one day to say that i completely love myself, that was a wonderful thing to give up for you and i am very happy for you
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I haven't given anything up, other than eating too much (quite hard), being inactive (not hard) and feeling guilty about eating food (not hard). I'm not diabetic, and I'm not allergic or intolerant to any foods that I know of, so I don't feel the need to give certain foods up.
  • TinaRoberts67
    TinaRoberts67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Diet DP and yes I know this is terrible stuff to be consuming...but OMG I just can't seem to kick the habit. grr
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

It depends on the granola bar, but my comment was more about your last sentence than your first.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm ever going to "give up" something completely, for me that might be flirting with danger... I've been working on moderation, so I guess it's been the hardest to limit servings.

But yes, carbs are my downfall! Things like noodles, rice, chips... all very easy for me to overdo ><
  • lauriejhawk
    lauriejhawk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the carbs, especially breads, any breads. I've hit a milestone of 20# so I am feeling ready to do something about my carb addiction. I'm in baby step mode, but it will happen.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

Wow. Five teaspoons of sugar into your coffee? What a waste, man. Why not drink coffee black like a man, as God intended, and hit your sugar target from another source?