Spices good or not?

Options

Replies

• Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    There are many spices that have medicinal properties such as tumeric, thyme, cayenne, ginger root, etc. I agree that the weightloss claims have very little validity if any but they are a great way to add flavor to sweet and savory dishes.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I heard if you rub cayenne pepper on your privates it stimulates weight loss. JK Actually when I was younger I told a friend jokingly that if you rub cayenne pepper on your forehead it stimulates muscle growth. Dumbass actually tried it. Burned the crap out of his eyes. lol

Lol a similar situation happened in my childhood but it was bengay instead!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I heard if you rub cayenne pepper on your privates it stimulates weight loss. JK Actually when I was younger I told a friend jokingly that if you rub cayenne pepper on your forehead it stimulates muscle growth. Dumbass actually tried it. Burned the crap out of his eyes. lol

Well, the original snake oil had red pepper oil in it. Just sayin'
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Even365 wrote: »
    It was prouved that someone who has a very spicy meal eats less at the following meal :)

links to studies that prove this?

'Cuz heartburn!! Dontcha think? B)

@queenliz99
    This worked for me during a trip to Nepal and again in Thailand. I'm not accustomed to really spicy foods, so after a few weeks of spicy everything, I had to take a break, skipped a meal or two, and bought bland foods (bread, digestive biscuits). It was a nice break for my stomach, but man did I lose weight on those trips. Of course, it could be that on both trips I was only receiving two meals per day and doing an incredible amount of walking... but spices, sure!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Herbs, spices, and seasonings are excellent for weight loss. They can make otherwise bland food taste wonderful! When you eat because you enjoy your food, rather than just eat to eat, you are more likely to be happy with smaller portions. Yes, seasonings that contain salt can make you retain water but it is easy to make your own seasoning blends without salt if you have a decent selection of herbs and spices.

the converse argument would be they make food taste too good and you overeat...so I can see that reasoning cutting both ways....

Good point. I guess I am speaking for myself here. A smaller portion of a well seasoned dish is more satisfying to me than a big bowl of something bland.
  • valeriesmith1840
    valeriesmith1840 Posts: 41 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Something I have discovered since losing is that my sense of taste has been heightened. Now - I suspect this is because I have made huge efforts to lower my salt/fat/sugar intake. Now that I actually taste the FOOD, spices have become a HUGE part of my life!

I think spices are wonderful...and do a little google search and you'll find a lot of information on spices that boost immune system, metabolism, and are known to help prevent cancer. Turmeric for one is said to fight cancer and is what gives curry that great yellowish tint. Garlic is also a cancer fighter and I prefer to use it fresh. Cayenne pepper is said to boost metabolism and your immune system both...and even if its affects are minimal...it makes food taste awesome!

I also discovered that I love spicy food...something that I didn't realize through all the salt I was eating before I started really focusing on healthy foods. I think spicy (hot) has an appetite suppressant effect. I notice if I eat a very light meal that is very spicey and hot I feel fuller.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Something I have discovered since losing is that my sense of taste has been heightened. Now - I suspect this is because I have made huge efforts to lower my salt/fat/sugar intake. Now that I actually taste the FOOD, spices have become a HUGE part of my life!

I think spices are wonderful...and do a little google search and you'll find a lot of information on spices that boost immune system, metabolism, and are known to help prevent cancer. Turmeric for one is a cancer fighter and is what gives curry that great yellowish tint. Garlic is also a cancer fighter and I prefer to use it fresh. Cayenne pepper is said to boost metabolism and your immune system both...and even if its affects are minimal...it makes food taste awesome!

I also discovered that I love spicy food...something that I didn't realize through all the salt I was eating before I started really focusing on healthy foods. I think the spice has an appetite suppressant effect. I notice if I eat a very light meal with heavy spices I feel fuller.

source?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I think spices are wonderful...and do a little google search and you'll find a lot of information on spices that boost immune system, metabolism, and are known to help prevent cancer. Turmeric for one is a cancer fighter and is what gives curry that great yellowish tint. Garlic is also a cancer fighter and I prefer to use it fresh. Cayenne pepper is said to boost metabolism and your immune system both...and even if its affects are minimal...it makes food taste awesome!

d1ya0.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you somehow manage to ingest enough spice or spicy food to get a boost in your metabolism, the odds are very high that there will be some...uncomfortable...gastric side effects afterward. Might take until the next morning, but at some point you'll be screaming "Come on, ice cream!"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If you somehow manage to ingest enough spice or spicy food to get a boost in your metabolism, the odds are very high that there will be some...uncomfortable...gastric side effects afterward. Might take until the next morning, but at some point you'll be screaming "Come on, ice cream!"

• ajmiller1987
    ajmiller1987 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    There aren't any cure-all effects like eating Spice X will somehow make you less hungry and you'll lose weight. However, for both myself and others, it seems like if your (healthy) food actually tastes good (ie. from using spices and herbs), then you're more inclined to continue to eat in that fashion than to say screw it and go get a double cheeseburger.
  • valeriesmith1840
    edited December 2015
    Options
    :) Well, since I'm not writing a book report I didn't realize I had to provide you with sources just to share my opinion on spices.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cancer/expert-answers/curcumin/faq-20057858

Here's a link if that makes your day. As I said, do a google search and there's lots of information about spices that may have beneficial impact on your health. This link talks about Turmeric (Curcumin is in Turmeric) and as I said it is SAID to prevent cancer. I suspect if it were a sure fire cure they'd have packaged it up long ago in pill form and begun charging an arm and a leg. There are lots of things that have health benefits that haven't been fully studied yet. Why is that so far fetched or mean I believe everything on the internet? You don't have to be snarky. You don't have to agree. OP asked what we thought and I shared. Very nicely I might add. :)
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    There aren't any cure-all effects like eating Spice X will somehow make you less hungry and you'll lose weight. However, for both myself and others, it seems like if your (healthy) food actually tastes good (ie. from using spices and herbs), then you're more inclined to continue to eat in that fashion than to say screw it and go get a double cheeseburger.

Yeah, but what about a double cheeseburger with some really good spices and herbs? Yum!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The only correlation I've noticed with super spicy food is that I drink a ton of water with my meal to kill the burn, thus filling up faster and the majority of times not being able to finish my meal, which is practically unheard of for me!

The point... Very spicy meals make me eat a lot less due to high water consumption that goes along with it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The only correlation I've noticed with super spicy food is that I drink a ton of water with my meal to kill the burn, thus filling up faster and the majority of times not being able to finish my meal, which is practically unheard of for me!

The point... Very spicy meals make me eat a lot less due to high water consumption that goes along with it.

Plain yogurt works better. It was served with meals in Nepal.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    :) Well, since I'm not writing a book report I didn't realize I had to provide you with sources just to share my opinion on spices.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cancer/expert-answers/curcumin/faq-20057858

Here's a link if that makes your day. As I said, do a google search and there's lots of information about spices that may have beneficial impact on your health. This link talks about Turmeric (Curcumin is in Turmeric) and as I said it is SAID to prevent cancer. I suspect if it were a sure fire cure they'd have packaged it up long ago in pill form and begun charging an arm and a leg. There are lots of things that have health benefits that haven't been fully studied yet. Why is that so far fetched or mean I believe everything on the internet? You don't have to be snarky. You don't have to agree. OP asked what we thought and I shared. Very nicely I might add. :)

Did you read the very first line in that article?
  • valeriesmith1840
    Options

Oh my goodness you are just an exhausting little thing aren't you? Nobody is saying if you eat a little turmeric you won't get cancer. Did you read PAST the first line in that article?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm a spicy food fan, love vindaloo! I over eat it though so can only have it when I'm wanting to gain.
  • AnvilHead
    Options

Here's a much more extensive review of Curcumin: examine.com/supplements/curcumin/

Although it does discuss ongoing research regarding possible anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties, this advisory near the top of the page is worth reading also:
    Limited in vitro evidence suggests that curcumin may cause DNA damage and suppress the immune system at high concentrations. How these findings translate to actual impact on human health is unknown at this time

There's an extensive listing of evidence in human studies further down the page under "Human Effect Matrix".