Spices good or not?

Options

Replies

• valeriesmith1840
    valeriesmith1840 Posts: 41 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    So are you saying if I eat curry my babies will have birth defects? LOL

Ok, you've reminded me why I don't use these forums. :) Thanks for that.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    :) Well, since I'm not writing a book report I didn't realize I had to provide you with sources just to share my opinion on spices.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cancer/expert-answers/curcumin/faq-20057858

Here's a link if that makes your day. As I said, do a google search and there's lots of information about spices that may have beneficial impact on your health. This link talks about Turmeric (Curcumin is in Turmeric) and as I said it is SAID to prevent cancer. I suspect if it were a sure fire cure they'd have packaged it up long ago in pill form and begun charging an arm and a leg. There are lots of things that have health benefits that haven't been fully studied yet. Why is that so far fetched or mean I believe everything on the internet? You don't have to be snarky. You don't have to agree. OP asked what we thought and I shared. Very nicely I might add. :)

Did you read the very first line in that article?

Oh my goodness you are just an exhausting little thing aren't you? Nobody is saying if you eat a little turmeric you won't get cancer. Did you read PAST the first line in that article?

Yes...it's full of "it's thought to" and "it may...."

I'm sorry it's so exhausting for you to support unfounded claims which you claim to be true, but that's how adult conversations work
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Several spices are well known for their anti-inflammatory properties, but it seems the OP is interested in weather spic es will help her lose weight. Personally I say, put a lot of chilli in your food, will cleanse you well and run up some calories whilst you keep on running to that bathroom. Just ensure you buy some decent and soft toilet paper first. :wink: :wink: :wink:

The great side effect of the above is (tried and tested by myself, the scientific paper is still being produced, but I need to consume more vindaloos' and phaals first to support my initial findings) after a while, your butt hurts (read burns), so you tend to avoid most food for a while.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    And for the record I'm not against the possibility that further research may support these claims.

But my main point was that the recommendation to simply "google it" is typically very poor advice for seeking out factual information unless you do a thorough job of vetting the sources in the results
  • valeriesmith1840
    Options
    :) Well, since I'm not writing a book report I didn't realize I had to provide you with sources just to share my opinion on spices.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cancer/expert-answers/curcumin/faq-20057858

Here's a link if that makes your day. As I said, do a google search and there's lots of information about spices that may have beneficial impact on your health. This link talks about Turmeric (Curcumin is in Turmeric) and as I said it is SAID to prevent cancer. I suspect if it were a sure fire cure they'd have packaged it up long ago in pill form and begun charging an arm and a leg. There are lots of things that have health benefits that haven't been fully studied yet. Why is that so far fetched or mean I believe everything on the internet? You don't have to be snarky. You don't have to agree. OP asked what we thought and I shared. Very nicely I might add. :)

Oh my goodness you are just an exhausting little thing aren't you? Nobody is saying if you eat a little turmeric you won't get cancer. Did you read PAST the first line in that article?

I'm sorry it's so exhausting for you to support unfounded claims which you claim to be true, but that's how adult conversations work

Your right, there isn't enough research to say that it can prevent cancer. Bingo. You get a gold star. :) Thank you for educating me on internet conversation. Now I know. :)
  • valeriesmith1840
    edited December 2015
    Options
    And for the record I'm not against the possibility that further research may support these claims.

But my main point was that the recommendation to simply "google it" is typically very poor advice for seeking out factual information unless you do a thorough job of vetting the sources in the results

At the same time, this is an internet forum. Wouldn't the responsible thing really be to go and research things for yourself rather than rely on me - or you? It's ok to ask opinions and have others share theirs. It's even ok to disagree. But I'm not a moron because I hold an opinion based on my own research nor do I have to provide you with it here. I'm not at school or writing a book - it's the equivalent to lunch room chat. Google is a GREAT place to discover new things - and you're right in that it is also a place to discover myths. So as we all have a responsibility to educate ourselves, it's not unreasonable in my mind to offer her the world wild interwebs as a tool to do so. The health benefits of herbs and spices aren't really any new fangled idea though - this is why I'm kind of baffled at the lengths to which you'd like to prove me an idiot for believing so.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I think spices are wonderful...and do a little google search and you'll find a lot of information on spices that boost immune system, metabolism, and are known to help prevent cancer. Turmeric for one is a cancer fighter and is what gives curry that great yellowish tint. Garlic is also a cancer fighter and I prefer to use it fresh. Cayenne pepper is said to boost metabolism and your immune system both...and even if its affects are minimal...it makes food taste awesome!

d1ya0.jpg

That's wrong....Abraham Lincoln said that, and that's his picture on there, sooooo....
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Did you read the first sentence in the third paragraph? Antioxidants..... Blueberries, yogurt, as well as other foods provide antioxidants. Do they help cure/fight/prevent cancer? As for garlic. Yes garlic helps with potential stress reduction; some people smell like chicken droppings when they eat too much and people avoid them.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

Your right, there isn't enough research to say that it can prevent cancer. Bingo. You get a gold star. :) Thank you for educating me on internet conversation. Now I know. :)

Ah, glad you didn't resort to snarky. Well done.

• valeriesmith1840
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Ah, glad you didn't resort to snarky. Well done.

Well, sue me. :) It was annoying.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Having said that, someone else is correct...there is no spice proven to stimulate or suppress appetite. Pepper MIGHT make you want to eat less, same as sriracha or hot sauce...i know if my food is spicy, i can't eat more than a few bites.

Sorry, there's no quick and easy weight loss aide. You just have to put in the work and have patience and learn new habits.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Spicy food causes me to loss weight... Water weight as it is a trigger food for my Crohn's and causes, um, severe gi distress ;)
  • valeriesmith1840
    Options

Did you read the first sentence in the third paragraph? Antioxidants..... Blueberries, yogurt, as well as other foods provide antioxidants. Do they help cure/fight/prevent cancer? As for garlic. Yes garlic helps with potential stress reduction; some people smell like chicken droppings when they eat too much and people avoid them.

Nope didn't read any of it. :)
  • juggernaut1974
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Google is a GREAT place to discover new things

Well since we're being all respectful of opinions now, I strongly disagree (in fact that's been my whole point all along)

Google results are a minefield. I would never base an opinion upon a simple Google search, nor would I recommend it to someone looking for answers to nutrition or weight loss questions

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Well since we're being all respectful of opinions now, I strongly disagree (in fact that's been my whole point all along)

Google results are a minefield. I would never base an opinion upon a simple Google search.

Anything can turn up on Google. There are tons of unreliable sources on the internet
  • valeriesmith1840
    Options

Google results are a minefield. I would never base an opinion upon a simple Google search.

Google is the equivalent of the library with personal journals and magazines thrown in. There is much valid and reliable information to be found on the internet. Sure, just like you have to take any comment from any random stranger with a grain of salt, same with the internet. I wouldn't discount the entire wealth of information online because there is some rotten nonsense that goes along with it. That is the sum of all encounters every day all day. You have to read and research - but sure the internet is a great place to start.

I don't think I ever said I based my own opinions nor expected anyone else to base theirs on a "simple Google search". But surely it can get you rolling in the right direction.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

At the same time, this is an internet forum. Wouldn't the responsible thing really be to go and research things for yourself rather than rely on me - or you? It's ok to ask opinions and have others share theirs. It's even ok to disagree. But I'm not a moron because I hold an opinion based on my own research nor do I have to provide you with it here. I'm not at school or writing a book - it's the equivalent to lunch room chat. Google is a GREAT place to discover new things - and you're right in that it is also a place to discover myths. So as we all have a responsibility to educate ourselves, it's not unreasonable in my mind to offer her the world wild interwebs as a tool to do so. The health benefits of herbs and spices aren't really any new fangled idea though - this is why I'm kind of baffled at the lengths to which you'd like to prove me an idiot for believing so.

It's not unreasonable for someone to ask you for a source to your claims. If your claim(s) are true, perhaps the person asking for the source wants to follow up on that claim and see the research that you found (instead of having to go through 100 pages of google results). They're actively seeking out information based on what you provided. So while people do have the responsibility to educate ourselves, if a claim is provided without more information for the person to further educate themselves, it's not unreasonable to ask the person asserting the claim for sources or links.
  • valeriesmith1840
    Options
    ...and nobody said I respected your opinion. LOL!
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

I'm not surprised; it is your link and you didn't review it. Turmeric seems interesting enough I purchased some this weekend. I'll figure out how to use it with some frequency. If you think a few dietary changes will prevent cancer have at it. We cut it, kill it, or burn it. Not much has changed in the case of Cancer and maintenance; so food options may or not prove to be anything more then a rabbit hole but if they continue research then fantastic.
  • valeriesmith1840
    Options

I have to say, I love the profile picture. It's like your baby is trying to run away yelling "This is my mother? Awww fk, get me out of here......or I'm doomed!"

That's awesome :) You must be a real upstanding person to basically call me a bad mother and decide my child hates me ... over spices.