The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning - it is so funny that you mentioned obstacle races... got this one in my email this morning. Maybe you will want to try it this summer :)
    v9ntxqdga6g2.jpg
  • cheriesanta
    cheriesanta Posts: 9 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I saw Liquid Run and got all excited... then I saw it wasn't about whiskey...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @WhatMeRunning - it is so funny that you mentioned obstacle races... got this one in my email this morning. Maybe you will want to try it this summer :)
    v9ntxqdga6g2.jpg

That looks awesome. Not in my neck of the woods but do you have a link to the race info?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @shanaber - That actually does look like the kind of race I get from time to time where I consider going with one of the kids. I'm pretty sure we'll be doing one of the foam/blacklight ones with my daughter. She's autistic and loves bubbles and bright colors. So it has her name ALL over it.

I was thinking more along the lines of BattleFrog or Tough Mudder though. Guess I want to get dirty or something.

@MorningGhost14 - A whiskey run would be good. Maybe I should see if they have any races in Kentucky or Tennesse? Then again, not sure I would feel too safe running around there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNEacVXRQg
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I was scheduled for 4 miles today. Stretched it a bit to 4.5, though. Felt good and it was a nice day for running--low 40s, cloudy, no wind to speak of. Only one car I had to [mentally] flip off today, so that's good (was pulling out of a parking lot and pulled out far enough to block the entire sidewalk while waiting for traffic...what a jerk).

23.5 of 145.1 miles completed
  • MorningGhost14
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning ... Lol...totally loved that video... I think a whiskey race through Kentucky would rock...

And ironically, after my 50k in May, I jump immediately into training for a 100k in Kentucky... maybe I'll see those boys...
    http://www.cloudsplitter100.com/
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @shanaber that looks like so much fun!
    @ceciliaslater mental flip off - I love it!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - That actually does look like the kind of race I get from time to time where I consider going with one of the kids. I'm pretty sure we'll be doing one of the foam/blacklight ones with my daughter. She's autistic and loves bubbles and bright colors. So it has her name ALL over it.

I was thinking more along the lines of BattleFrog or Tough Mudder though. Guess I want to get dirty or something.

@MorningGhost14 - A whiskey run would be good. Maybe I should see if they have any races in Kentucky or Tennesse? Then again, not sure I would feel too safe running around there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNEacVXRQg

@WhatMeRunning Hahaha That was all in good fun! The Jack Daniels Distillery puts on a HM every year. It sold out within hours this year. I actually had my alarm clock set that Sunday morning so I could sign up, but it is a fun race. Giagantic hill. http://www.oakbarrelhalf.com/

It's sold out this year but something for everyone to think about for 2017.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    1 Jan 6km
    2 Jan 5.2km
    3 Jan 3.7km
    4 Jan 2.2km
    5 Jan 4km
    6 Jan 1.8km
    7 Jan 2km
    8 Jan 4km

Total so far 28.9km (goal is 50km)
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @WhatMeRunning Hahaha That was all in good fun! The Jack Daniels Distillery puts on a HM every year. It sold out within hours this year. I actually had my alarm clock set that Sunday morning so I could sign up, but it is a fun race. Giagantic hill. http://www.oakbarrelhalf.com/

It's sold out this year but something for everyone to think about for 2017.
    That would be fun... but looking at all those people nearly had me breaking out in hives... 150 runners spread out over a 31 mile course is about my limit....

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Ummmm I have people in Tennessee....wouldn't it be awesome if we got a group from here and did it together?!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    And... any newbies from, near, or around Denver CO? We could meet up now and then for a run!
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    01/01 - 10 miles
    02/01 - 10.4 km
    03/01 - 10.4 km
    04/01 - 10.3 km
    05/01 - 12.5 km
    06/01 - 12.5 km
    07/01 - 10.6 km
    08/01 - 12.6 km

tot 84/500 km

so predictable.... awful run this morning, lot of pain from hip

so this is how it works for me: exeercising more, no painkillers = good runs; resting, painkillers, foam rolling, etc = awful run

wow wow wow

anyway, going to a sport clinic for a check up / massage on Sunday, hope to feel better, because frankly, I'm fed up

I do miss my routine, I'm annoyed about my latest performance, but I'm not crazy and I see the time to stop and do 0 miles coming

• MorningGhost14
    Options
    @patrikc333 ... hopefully a good sports massage will do the trick... I truly do hope you find out what is causing this... the miles you were putting down were inspiring me to keep pushing through my crappy runs...
  • alydanbeads
    alydanbeads Posts: 120 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was sick so I took a few days off but was finally able to get 3 miles in today and 30 sec faster than Monday! :)

15/45 miles
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Update on the Group Shirts

11 people voted:
    Power Blue got 4.5 votes
    Columbia Blue 3
    Royal 2.5
    Power yellow 0
    Lime 3
    Power Orange 6

So far it is Power Blue and Power Orange.
    Please go to that link above and vote if you haven't already and are interested.
    So far, @Elise4270 is my central shipper unless @Virkati wants that job instead.
    I will need that person to PM their snail mail addy to me if you are interested in the job (free shipping to you).
    The more people who are interested in shirts, the less expensive they become.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @ohhim - good luck on Sunday! Hope it cools down a little. That humidity will be a killer.

I've now had 4 rest days this week, 2 planned on Sun/Mon after having no rest days for over a month. Then got sick and have had to rest Thur/Fri and doctor said take off all weekend. I feel so bad that I'm actually okay with laying in bed. Fitbit says I've had 500 steps and it's 5pm!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    yesterday was stair climber and body weight training day.
    Today, 9 miles with a friend.

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »

so predictable.... awful run this morning, lot of pain from hip

so this is how it works for me: exeercising more, no painkillers = good runs; resting, painkillers, foam rolling, etc = awful run

wow wow wow

anyway, going to a sport clinic for a check up / massage on Sunday, hope to feel better, because frankly, I'm fed up

I do miss my routine, I'm annoyed about my latest performance, but I'm not crazy and I see the time to stop and do 0 miles coming

@patrikc333 Do you keep a training log where you keep track of how each run felt mood-wise? It seems like you've been having a lot of awful runs for the last couple months (since Amsterdam, am I right?), and if I had that many frowny-faces on my running log, I'd be ready for a break. You're probably suffering some overuse complications, and I think a rest would be beneficial. Not many people can run that many miles without some serious wear and tear on their body, and even elites who run 300-500 per month still take weeks off for recovery. At some point, you've got to give yourself a break.