The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @kristinegift Thanks for the heads up on the Amazon sale. I just ordered two Saucony shirts, 6 pairs of socks, a pair of shorts and a pair of leggings for $46. I should be ordering chemical standards for work, but, you know, priorities.
    @kristinegift Thanks for the heads up on the Amazon sale. I just ordered two Saucony shirts, 6 pairs of socks, a pair of shorts and a pair of leggings for $46. I should be ordering chemical standards for work, but, you know, priorities.

@lporter229 It's the least I could do to spread the joy :) Saucony keeps having ridiculous sales on Amazon lately. I don't know how they're even making money on this stuff. But they're my favorite brand, so I am not gonna complain!

I was inspired to shop...but don't see deals at quite those levels on Amazon. Sadness. Maybe I missed the sale? I will keep looking... I love Saucony shoes, but I haven't tried their clothing.

I did find a pair of Guide 8s for $50, and a pair of Grid Excursions TR9s for about the same. The Guide 8s are a great deal and they'd be my 4th pair of the same shoe...but what I really need is a new pair of trail shoes. Has anyone used the TR9s? The Cohesions are even cheaper--only $38, but are they on par with the Guides?
  • Calli1616
    Calli1616 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Options
    Just looked at where I was and what I have still planned for the month and if I do just a liiittttlllleee bit more than I had planned, I will make my goal. So - that's working, right?!

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@lporter229 It's the least I could do to spread the joy :) Saucony keeps having ridiculous sales on Amazon lately. I don't know how they're even making money on this stuff. But they're my favorite brand, so I am not gonna complain!

I was inspired to shop...but don't see deals at quite those levels on Amazon. Sadness. Maybe I missed the sale? I will keep looking... I love Saucony shoes, but I haven't tried their clothing.

I did find a pair of Guide 8s for $50, and a pair of Grid Excursions TR9s for about the same. The Guide 8s are a great deal and they'd be my 4th pair of the same shoe...but what I really need is a new pair of trail shoes. Has anyone used the TR9s? The Cohesions are even cheaper--only $38, but are they on par with the Guides?

@5BeautifulDays Yeah, some colors are on sale, some sizes... it's sort of a shot in the dark to find the super low prices. Been slowly but surely replacing my mediums with smalls over the last few months, so I've been diligent about finding deals!

As for the shoes: Cohesions are going to be fairly neutral support compared to the Guides, as the Guides are a light stabilizing shoe. The Guides are also far more plush than the Cohesion. Cohesion is probably more similar to the Ride, actually, looking at the stats on the Saucony site (but the Rides are plushier!). The Cohesion is a 12mm heel-to-toe drop, whereas the Guides are only 8mm, so that's a tiny adjustment as well. But for $38, you could buy them, try them out, and see if they work for you, and if they don't, at least you didn't have $120 sitting in limbo on your credit card! However, on the topic of trail shoes, I have no idea, but there are probably a few trail runners here who can chime in!

IDK why Saucony doesn't just hire me as a rep/ambassador. Heck, I'd do it for free... just gimme free shoes! ;)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite places to shop for discount sporting goods, including running gear, is Sierra Trading Post. One of their annoying quirks is that they have daily sale every day and if you're on their mailing list, you get an email every day. On the upside, the emails usually have a good little graphic with them, such as this one:

98rpekt47wc0.jpeg

• Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 5k
    3/1 - 7k
    5/1 - 1k walk
    6/1 - 3k
    7/1 - 2.5k
    9/1 - 7k
    10/1 5k intervals
    12/1 - 2k walk
    13/1 1k

33.5/80

@ceciliaslater @Stoshew71 Thanks for the advice I will try this weekend. I think I need to drag myself off the treadmill and go outside to naturally increase my stamina and pace - just need to get over fear of falling (3 confirmed broken bones in 3 years and a couple more self treated suspected breaks). Also, how do you stop gulping in cold air hurting your throat and lungs and making you ill?

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

@Elise4270 I would rather not anyone pay for my shirt. I may buy a couple for myself and a third one for my wife. So that would just get confusing. If anyone wants to thank me, I have a great idea. Let's find a super fun race in Tennesee, Kentucky, or southern Indiana (kind of right in the heart of the midwest and a drive away for me) and we all meet, then you can buy me all the drinks your hearts desire after we get done with the race. :-)

So down with that! I may or may not be in running shape (surgeries looming ahead). But I'll be there!

Pick a few you favor and let us know.

Too may to list here on HalfMarathons.com

This first one sounds like a relay race where we would need to put a team of us together. :-)

Kentucky: The Bourbon Chase
    Distance: 200 miles (relay)
    Month: October

Both casual joggers (and drinkers!) and serious athletes (and drinkers!) are invited to join in on the fun at the Bourbon Chase. Just save the drinks for after the finish line! Teams of six to 12 unite to cross the Bluegrass State in a 200-mile relay race along the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. The race begins near Bardstown, the bourbon capital of the world, then winds through horse farms, historic bourbon distilleries, and hilly countryside landscapes, all leading up to a finish line in downtown Lexington. Teams can celebrate post-race at a festival with live music, food, and celebratory drinks (bourbon, of course).

Mississippi: Mississippi Blues Marathon
    Distance: Marathon, marathon relay, half marathon, 10K
    Month: January

As rich in music history as it is in swag, this 26.2-mile trot packs in a lot of tunes at every marker. Runners race along the Mississippi Blues Trail as well as popular blues venues and the state's original capitol. Live music plays along the course, and each Mississippi Blues Marathon finisher takes home a hefty swag bag, including a harmonica and a blinged-out music-themed finisher's medal. Those who aren't quite ready for a marathon but still want to enjoy the festival-like atmosphere (start and finish lines double as a concert space) can choose between a half marathon, a “Quarter Note” (roughly a 10K), or marathon relay. And for runners who really want to celebrate their finish, there's a post-race bar "Blues Crawl" available.

Missouri: The MO’ Cowbell Marathon
    Distance: Marathon, half marathon, 5K
    Month: October

As Christopher Walken said on Saturday Night Live, “I’ve got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.” Clearly the MO' Cowbell Marathon organizers caught the same bug, because they created a whole marathon around these obtrusive noisemakers. But aside from the copious use of cowbells, the race itself is a flat, fast course that starts and finishes in Frontier Park. Runners wind through New Town St. Charles, looping around the neighborhood, then pass by the original starting point before heading north for an out-and-back stretch along the Katy Trail. Participants can also opt for a half marathon or a 5K, and everyone gets treated to the race’s “High-Five Zone,” a cheer area at mile five equipped with entertainment, activities, and—you guessed it!—cowbells for spectators.

Tennessee: St. Jude Rock 'n' Roll Nashville Marathon and Half Marathon
    Distance: Marathon, half marathon
    Month: April

Celebrating cowboy boots, Southern drawls, and the best of country music, this marathon is recognized as the ultimate tour of Music City. The full course takes 30,000 runners past historic sites like the Parthenon, the Country Music Hall of Fame, Nashville’s world-famous Music Row, and through the finish line just outside the LP Field stadium. Those looking for a shorter distance can opt to run the half marathon, but both courses feature the same rolling hills. (Read: Your calves won't get much of a break.) As expected, there’s plenty of live music on the course, and participants also have the option to attend a post-race concert. Past performers include Sara Evans, Brad Paisley, Phil Vassar, Jo Dee Messina, Diamond Rio, Martina McBride, and Kenny Rogers.

^^^^^ by the way, if you never heard of the Honky Tonks in Nashville, Oh my! This would be the most awesome after party.

Indiana: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon
    Distance: Half marathon, 5K
    Month: May

Runners! Start your engines! This race takes place at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway—the world’s largest spectator sporting facility—drawing 40,000 participants. The OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon is the nation’s biggest half marathon, and it gives runners the opportunity to complete 2.5 miles of the course on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Oval, home to the world-famous Indianapolis 500 car race. The epic “mini marathon,” now in its 39th year, could be considered a pre-game ritual to the Indy 500. (It’s held during the weeks leading up to the sporting event.) Festivities include an accompanying 5K race, more than 80 live bands along the course, and a huge post-race festival in downtown Indianapolis' Military Park.

Kentucky: Kentucky Derby Marathon and Half Classic. Held in Louisville the Saturday before the city's world-famous horse race, these two races have thousands of finishers each year. The Boston-qualifying marathon kicks off the week-long Kentucky Derby Festival, which leads up to the main running event (the one with the horses).

Tennesee: Oak Barrel Half Marathon in Lynchburg, TN
    Month: April

The name of Tennessee’s Oak Barrel Half Marathon, which is set for its 7th annual running here in this town of just over 5,000 residents in the spring of 2016, becomes apparent if you’ve ever looked closely at the label on a bottle of whiskey, as Lynchburg is the home and world headquarters of the Jack Daniels Distillery, where every bottle of its world famous whiskey is made.

Runners who make their way to this beautifully scenic small town in the hills of southern Tennessee, located along the state’s Cumberland plateau, will get a chance to enjoy both its small-town charm and the irony that the county in which Jack Daniels whiskey is made and sold, Tennessee’s Moore County, is a dry county — which means also that while the whiskey can be made here, it can’t be sold by the bottle or the glass in its own hometown.

What that has yielded is some intriguing creativity on the part of local shop owners, cafes and restaurants, where you can see items on the menus like “whiskey coffee” and even “whiskey cheeseburgers” (I’ve actually enjoyed one of these on a years-ago visit to Lynchburg, and believe me, you don’t want to get behind the wheel after you’ve had one!).

The distillery itself is well worth a visit, as authentic Tennessee mountain men — complete with overalls and all — lead visitors on a tour of the distillery’s whiskey operations, where you can take in the sights, sounds and smells of real Tennessee whiskey.

Now all of that, of course, has little to do with the actual race, which organizers plan as an out-and-back race that takes runners both through the town of Lynchburg and along the tree-lined rural country roads that surround the town, with a route featuring plenty of green farm fields and the pastoral beauty of the rolling countryside of this part of Tennessee.

The course starts at the Lynchburg Courthouse Square, and runners will finish the race just a short stretch up Highway 55, at the Jack Daniels Distillery, where the race organizers plan to host both the post-race festivities and the event’s award ceremonies, where they will present awards both to the top three overall male and female winners as well as awards in several age group categories.

Just over 1,100 runners crossed the finish line in the half marathon in 2014, and the 2015 race will be limited to the first 1,450 entrants. Runners also will have a course time limit of 4 hours.

^^^^ BTW, HTC (my local official running organization) puts on a picnic every year since we bring a big contigient with us. This 2016 race also sold out within hours, it's that popular (and small). So, this is a bucket list for 2017.

Race 13.1 Memphis Half Marathon & 8K
    Month: April in Memphis, TN

Race 13.1 will add its third race to Tennessee with the inaugural April 9, 2016 half marathon and 8k event in Memphis. Starting and finishing on Mud Island, participants will enjoy beautiful water views as they run along the Mississippi River before heading over the Wolf River Harbor on A.W. Willis Bridge, overlooking the Memphis Pyramid. Once over the bridge, runners will proceed through the heart of downtown Memphis, passing City Hall, Civic CIty Plaza and the beautiful Memphis Park. The next section of the course is a beautiful stretch on Riverside Drive, a street whose name says it all – running along the Mississippi River and Tom Lee Park. Returning on Riverside Drive, runners will turn onto the iconic Beale Street, which is deeply rooted and responsible for blues style music and filled with great BBQ restaurants.

The next stretch of the course takes place largely on N. 2nd Street, which will provide beautiful Wolf River Harbor views until runners return to the finish along the Mississippi River back to the heart of Mud Island.

Like all Race 13.1 events, runners can expect plenty of well-stocked, well-staffed aid stations and lots of enthusiastic course monitors along the way. Runners can expect to have a text message from Race 13.1 with a link to the live results waiting for them when they cross the finish line, along with a first class post-race party. Over 1,500 runners are expected in the half marathon that will start at 7:00 AM while the 8k will begin at 7:15 AM.

Go Commando Half Marathon, 10K & 5K
    Saturday, October 17, 2015 • Clarksville, TN

Known for the natural beauty of its mountains and the music that is made just a short drive away in nearby Nashville, the region of the Southeast known as Middle Tennessee plays host to the 5th annual running in 2015 of the Go Commando Half Marathon, 10K & 5K this fall.
    Described by the race organizers as a course that’s fast and flat, the Go Commando race will follow an out-and-back loop through the city that starts and finishes along Riverside Drive.
    From there, runners will fan out into the city, including its newly built Marina and Liberty Park, along the downtown streets of Clarksville and along stretches of the winding Cumberland River that flows through the city Just over 1,200 runners cross the finish line in the race each year.

As the organizers put it, the race’s name is in part a shout-out to the military troops and families stationed at nearby Fort Campbell — the home of the 101st Airborne Division, which lies just 10 miles from the city’s downtown — and to all those who just enjoy “going commando.”

When they arrive for the race packet pickup, race participants will receive a pair of booty-ful “ranger panties” — because you can’t always “go commando” — as well as a finisher’s medal and collector’s cup at the finish for the race.

For 2015, the scheduled starting time for the race is 7:30 AM, and the event is limited to the first 2,000 entrants.

AJC Peachtree Road race 10K
    Every 4th of July - Atlanta, GA

The AJC Peachtree Road Race, organized by Atlanta Track Club, is the largest 10K in the world. In its 47th running, the AJC Peachtree Road Race has become a Fourth of July tradition for thousands of people throughout the metro Atlanta area and beyond. Come kick off your Fourth of July festivities with us! The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Peachtree Road Race is one of the premier Fourth of July traditions in Atlanta, with its festive atmosphere, scenic city course and beloved finisher’s T-shirt. Organized by Atlanta Track Club, the event attracts 60,000 runners and walkers of all ages and abilities each year. The AJC Peachtree Road Race starts in Buckhead near Lenox Square Mall and ends in Piedmont Park.

Franklin Half Marathon - Franklin, TN (just outside of Nashville)
    Month: June in Leiper’s Fork, TN

Here in this region filled with green, rolling hills that lies virtually a stone’s throw from the Natchez Trace Parkway — the historic 444-mile-long highway that runs through Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi — this tiny village just outside Franklin plays host to the 3rd annual running of the Franklin Half Marathon just as spring is giving way to summer here on Tennessee’s Cumberland Plateau region.

The race is set to take runners on a big, sweeping out-and-back course through the country roads near Leiper’s Fork, an unincorporated village that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its preserved 19th-century architecture.

Leiper’s Fork also lies on the Natchez Trace Parkway, now a National Park Service-designated historic highway that has been an important travel route for thousands of years, going back to the Choctaw, Chickasaw and Natchez native American tribes.

Runners in the Franklin Half Marathon will start the race at the corner of Old Hillsboro Road and Floyd Road, and from there make a clockwise loop along Bailey Road, Bear Creek Road and Leipers Creek Road. After the stretch on Leipers Creek Road, the course brings runners back onto Old Hillsboro Road for the race finish back where they started.

The inaugural race in 2013 was dubbed the “Hot, Humid and Hilly Half.” We will have plenty of runner support out there, but you should be prepared for heat, humidity and hills. It was also dubbed one of the most scenic courses as well — you will definitely be rewarded for the challenge ahead.

The cutoff time for the race is 4 hours, which organizers note will be strictly enforced. The race also will be limited to the first 2,000 entrants, so runners are encouraged to sign up early.

This is actually the location of the famous YouTube video of the hillbillies dueling banjo/guitar to Deliverance. They need to change the name of this race to the What Y'all Running From HM.

If anyone ever thinks about coming to Alabama to race, our 2 biggest races up here in the north is the Cotton Row Run 10K and 5K (every Memorial Day weekend) & the Rocket City Marathon (every December).

To @MorningGhost14 or anyone else interested, we also have some great trail run races here in Huntsville up at Monte Sano State Park:

Mountain Mist 50K Trail Run (January)
    McKay Hollow Madness 25K Trail Run (March)
    Monte Sano 10K & 5K Road Races & Kids Fun Run (September)
    Dizzy Fifties Trail Run 50K/40 & 50 Mile (November)
  • MMillard77
    MMillard77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am new to running but have been enjoying the time to myself :)

I've been inspired by your posts here, so I think I will join in!

Ill aim to do another 20kms for rest of January and Ill start thinking about what February should look like.

Many posts mention very cold US weather, Im in Australia and have the opposite problem - we've had 38C days here this week, so I am finding that challenging.

Thanks for the motivation...
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    @MorningGhost14: Love the Fun Run slogan. Wisconsin is a fair piece from Ohio though. And I just realized what bothers me about your ticker…why is that dude WALKING when he has a perfectly ridable camel? :p

I will be going there from western Pennsylvania, and I can just pick you up on my way. So screw your shoes on and get training... June will be here before you know it.

And he's walking, because he's a bad-*kitten*. He only has the camel to carry his booze.

• MorningGhost14
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 ... that 200 mile Bourbon relay looks fun. A six runner team means each runner only has to do 33-34 miles, which is easily managed in 8-10 mile segments. That would be a blast. And, of course, bourbon.

And I might give some serious thought to the Mountain Mist 50K Trail Run for next January... something about getting a 50k in as early as January intrigues me since it might be a good springboard for a longer race later in the year. I would love to be in 50k shape in January...
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Welcome @MMillard77, we have a few Aussies here (myself included) struggling in the heat and humidity. I have taken to very early morning runs to beat the heat. I could not contemplate going out in the afternoons when the heat is so oppressive.

6.15 km easy this morning. 7:37 min/km; Av HR 125, max HR 136. Pretty muggy this morning (even at 5:00am), and my legs felt tired, so it was hard to get moving. Rest day tomorrow.

1 Jan 13.4 km
    2 Jan Rest
    3 Jan 6.3 km
    4 Jan 5.4 km
    5 Jan Rest
    6 Jan 8.3 km
    7 Jan 5.3 km
    8 Jan Rest
    9 Jan 15.3 km
    10 Jan Rest
    11 Jan 6.1 km
    12 Jan 8.3 km
    13 Jan 6.15 km
    14 Jan 6.15 km
    15 Jan Rest

Total: 80.7 / 150 km

All my training is slow and easy because increasing mileage for my first marathon in July.

exercise.png

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I would so be in for that relay. I am in Cincinnati, so only about an hour away. Sounds like a blast!
  • alydanbeads
    alydanbeads Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Still working my way back into running and improving all the time. Went 3 miles today and made the first 2 miles with no walking! I know that may not seem like a lot to some of you but it was an accomplishment for me! :)

27/45 completed
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater @Stoshew71 Thanks for the advice I will try this weekend. I think I need to drag myself off the treadmill and go outside to naturally increase my stamina and pace - just need to get over fear of falling (3 confirmed broken bones in 3 years and a couple more self treated suspected breaks). Also, how do you stop gulping in cold air hurting your throat and lungs and making you ill?

Run slower. The only time my asthma gets triggered is when I'm (foolishly) running too fast at low temps. I think it is just a desperate attempt to get warm, lol. But if I let myself start out nice and slow, I actually warm up more evenly (like, my hands and feet don't stay frigid while my core is sweating) and my lungs don't bother me nearly as much.

Oh, and I started running late last January, so this is my first winter running. I didn't even *try* to run outside until March or April! :)
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 5k
    3/1 - 7k
    5/1 - 1k walk
    6/1 - 3k
    7/1 - 2.5k
    9/1 - 7k
    10/1 5k intervals
    12/1 - 2k walk
    13/1 1k

33.5/80

exercise.png

First off: Focus on controlling your breathing. Find a breathing pattern that's comfortable for you. Personally, I tend to breathe slower and deeper than a lot of people. It helps me stay focused and not get ahead of myself. If you find yourself unable to breathe comfortably and controlled, you probably need to slow your pace.

If your breathing is under control: On really cold days, it can also help to have some sort of cover over your mouth and nose (neck gaiter, buff, balaclava). It should help warm your face and protect your throat and lungs from the worst of the cold air.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 ... that 200 mile Bourbon relay looks fun. A six runner team means each runner only has to do 33-34 miles, which is easily managed in 8-10 mile segments. That would be a blast. And, of course, bourbon.

And I might give some serious thought to the Mountain Mist 50K Trail Run for next January... something about getting a 50k in as early as January intrigues me since it might be a good springboard for a longer race later in the year. I would love to be in 50k shape in January...

If I BQ this December, I will join you for this next year.

https://rootsrated.com/stories/how-to-survive-the-mountain-mist-50k

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    January Goal—will try for 140 km, half marathon Feb 7 and I’m behind in my training

1/6—3.89 km or so…first run after being sick…still congested and a bit sick
    1/7—3.40 km—still feeling icky so keeping it short. Just ran around my complex
    1/8—5.29 km..about to kill my lungs. Sick of the congestion
    1/9—5.01 km
    1/10—10.48 km-
    1/12—4.55 km skipped 1/11 due to it being cold and rainy
    1/13—3.64 km
    1/14—5.14 km
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Those races look so great, BUT OH MY GOD I WISH I KNEW WHERE I WOULD BE LIVING FOR MOST OF THEM (specifically anything after May, and my spring races are all booked for 2016). You have renewed my graduation-related existential crisis!
    ...but if I still live nearish the east coast come June, I will see if I can make it to a race that other people are at, but I am in no position to make any plans or promises. It's really putting a damper on my desire to plan all my 2016 races right away.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater @5BeautifulDays I think you are spot on. I would have been pushing really hard when I did this before. I reckon I am now more comfortable and accepting it is ok to go slow. This forum rocks!
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    Ok... I have been toying with this for a while and would be interested in some feedback. In the ultra community, there has been growing discussion/debate about smoking pot before and during ultra races. Pot's ability to reduce pain, prevent nausea and enhance relaxation hits on three things key to running extra long distances.

I am aware of quite a few ultra runners who smoke regularly during races, but there are some who argue that it is a performance enhancing drug and gives an unfair advantage over those not smoking and should not be used during races, but only to assist in long training runs.

I have run the 50k distance a couple of times and am doing another one in May and I don't see any reason to use anything for only 31 miles, but I am planning on either a 50 mile or 100k race in the fall and one of my training gurus thinks I should incorporate a "pot routine" in to the later stages of training (30+ mile training runs) and the race itself... primarily for nausea issues and secondly to help stay chill when running alone all night in the woods.

Having had to take a DNF at mile 38 in a 50 mile race because of nausea, I am giving it some thought, but not entirely sold on the idea yet. At least not for pre-race and during the race purposes.
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    If I BQ this December, I will join you for this next year.

https://rootsrated.com/stories/how-to-survive-the-mountain-mist-50k

That would be so great... that be enough to get Randall cranked up!