The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 wow! I may really be able to get my kids into running.

The burbon run is a team ultra right?

We may put something like a Rock N Roll series run on the table to offer shorter distances?

Oooh, Las Vegas RnR 11/13/16: am already signed up.....@ohhim likely is, too.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I love the KT tape. I do feel it helps. I've been toying with taping my med glute area, even though it probably won't help much. I've used it on my feet and knees mostly. It may also help circulation (warmth), help the area heal.

@7lenny7 that is to bad about team Ortho. I maybe too embarrassed to wear my monster dash jacket now.
  • Lance6142014
    Lance6142014 Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Passing on a full marathon this year after last years stress fracture. Going to do a half in March though, so I'm aiming for around 75-100 miles this month. Got a small 5k in two weeks also. If anyone is so doing the freezer burn 5k in Virginia beach, good luck to you!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That's really disappointing about Team Ortho. I've done the Minneapolis marathon and a Monster Dash in Chicago in 2013, and they were great races. I hate hearing that "charity" race organizations don't actually give that much to charity. Less than 10% of total income seems quite low; but I wonder what the percentages are from other charity run organizations since these orgs still have overhead with buying race swag, employing organizers, paying for road closures, etc.

@kristinegift & @Elise4270 here's the report if you're interested. I should have checked my numbers before posting. They actually took in $4.4 million and gave away just $73 thousand.

It's more than just the charity money though. I keep hearing from others that the quality of the races has been going down. People were PO'd this month when they changed the start of their Polar Dash race and the beginning started on a cramped sidewalk with no easy way to get around people and it took a long time for the runners to get spaced out.

A friend of mine, veteran of 42 marathons, has done pacing for TO many times but said he'll never do it for them again. Many others I've talked to are also swearing off those races. The numbers for the Minneapolis Marathon will likely be way down as runners go elsewhere (Grandma's Marathon is already sold out for the full and half), as will other TO races. It's unfortunate but there are other great organizers in town and they'll fill the void I'm sure.

• Elise4270
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    That's really disappointing about Team Ortho. I've done the Minneapolis marathon and a Monster Dash in Chicago in 2013, and they were great races. I hate hearing that "charity" race organizations don't actually give that much to charity. Less than 10% of total income seems quite low; but I wonder what the percentages are from other charity run organizations since these orgs still have overhead with buying race swag, employing organizers, paying for road closures, etc.

@kristinegift & @Elise4270 here's the report if you're interested. I should have checked my numbers before posting. They actually took in $4.4 million and gave away just $73 thousand.

It's more than just the charity money though. I keep hearing from others that the quality of the races has been going down. People were PO'd this month when they changed the start of their Polar Dash race and the beginning started on a cramped sidewalk with no easy way to get around people and it took a long time for the runners to get spaced out.

A friend of mine, veteran of 42 marathons, has done pacing for TO many times but said he'll never do it for them again. Many others I've talked to are also swearing off those races. The numbers for the Minneapolis Marathon will likely be way down as runners go elsewhere (Grandma's Marathon is already sold out for the full and half), as will other TO races. It's unfortunate but there are other great organizers in town and they'll fill the void I'm sure.

I'm going to make a point to avoid their races. We had a simialr issue with the Monster dash- sidewalk run and crowded.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've noticed, though, that in the coldest temps and/or for runs hitting four miles (and the longer ones i need to be doing soon) that I have a COOOOOOOLLLLLD stomach when I get back so I'm thinking about tossing another just plain t-shirt above that short sleeved tech shirt to contain the warmth better...thoughts?
    I get a cold belly too. It does not seem to correlate at all with my overall body temp or comfort when running. I even noticed it was cooler than the rest of my body in spring and fall as well. I have no clue what causes that for me but I like to think it is the thermic effect of burning off fat from my belly! In truth though, I suspect what @7lenny7 said is what is really happening though.

As for the booze and drugs that all of us runners are getting into, I am thinking GU could come out with some interesting new flavors. Maybe "Nachos", or even "Snozberries". And maybe in addition to having caffeine added to the GU packs you could run to Colorado or another state where it is legal and get some GU with THC in it. Oh, that's probably a million dollar idea right there!!!

@Stoshew71 - I cracked up out loud at the shoe bong and now everyone is looking at me wondering what the heck I am laughing about! Not sure what to say.

I'm also thinking this Bourbon Run could morph into more than Woodstock as previously mentioned. If we make it a running series it could attract followers and be like a whole new Grateful Dead thing.

OK, seriously though, back to normal running (as if there is such a thing anymore)...

Today was 3x1 mile Tempo Intervals (an extra mile from warmup/cooldown). It was in the upper 30's so I got to run in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. I kept passing by others on the trail who were wearing pants and long sleeves and I kept thinking they must be overheating, because I felt great!

1/1 - 2.25 miles
    1/3 - 4.1 miles
    1/5 - 6.5 miles
    1/7 - 4 miles
    1/9 - 4 miles
    1/12 - 3.25 miles
    1/14 - 4.6 miles

28.7 of 50 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    This was my brother's first 100 mile race... he said the whole weekend was great..

http://www.runwoodstock.com/
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    If @Elise4270 changes her name to Elise420, we'll know somethings up...
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    had a few unplanned days off due to a back problem, but I'm at it again. 4 miles during a social run last night.
    exercise.png
  • tweekedgirl
    tweekedgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    @MorningGhost14

Thanks! I've really got back into the swing of it this month!

Did a fast tempo run at dinner today.

1/1 - 3.36
    2/1 - 3.08
    5/1 - 3.08
    8/1 - 3.25
    9/1 - 3.08
    10/1 - 4.66
    12/1 - 3.56
    14/1 - 3.65

Total 27.72/35
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @GBrady43068 my belly gets cold too. tucked in layer or not.
    i found a windproof layer works. now must my butt falls asleep
    This was my brother's first 100 mile race... he said the whole weekend was great..

http://www.runwoodstock.com/

cool
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Thanks @elise4270 and @kristinegift I have some KT tape so I'll try it tomorrow.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Today was 3x1 mile Tempo Intervals (an extra mile from warmup/cooldown). It was in the upper 30's so I got to run in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. I kept passing by others on the trail who were wearing pants and long sleeves and I kept thinking they must be overheating, because I felt great!

I did 4.6 miles over lunch (slow-ish - 10:15/mile pace). It's 59 degrees out there. I wore capris (I almost never wear shorts for running, as I have stumpy legs and don't want to risk any chafing/discomfort) and a tank top and was overly warm. I passed multiple people--also running, not just walking--wearing full length pants, long sleeves (multiple layers, even), ear warmers/headbands. :o I would have died.

That said, it's beautiful outside, if a little overly windy. My run went well with no remarkable aches or pains. Added bonus: the lake management folks are finally draining the flood waters out of Keystone Lake (upstream from where I run during the week), so the river is actually full and flowing for once. So pretty!

ETA: 54.2 / 145.1 miles completed
  • Elise4270
    edited January 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    If @Elise4270 changes her name to Elise420, we'll know somethings up...

LOL! Pffft.. Not this white girl. I got bills. 'Sides, i got scripts... :smiley: Maybe MorningGhost420! 420lenny420?

How in the world did I miss the shoe bong comment? (Found it)

@WhatMeRunning You know they will be all over that idea! "Exclusive for Run Colorado"
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    How in the world did I miss the shoe bong comment?
    If your mobile app is like mine then images do not appear in the forums. Here is a link to the image @Stoshew71 had in his post a page back...
    http://www.outsideonline.com/sites/default/files/styles/three-quarter-page-scaled-1x/public/migrated-images/runners-high_h.jpg
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Speaking of munchies, I wonder if they will deliver to the trail...

article-2559343-1B7BDDE300000578-442_634x424.jpg
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    1/1 5.6 miles—street run given the snow and ice on sidewalks. excellent run at 25 F.
    1/2 elliptical day, no run
    1/3 10.2 — excellent run, slow pace 11:45. But pain in the heels and achilles afterwards. got better with ice treatment!
    1/4 elliptical day, no run
    1/5 rest day
    1/6 6.5 — ran in 28 degree weather. starting to feel 30 degree weather might be pushing it too warm for comfort :) My heels, which bothered me after my last run (stretched, iced, and rested) held up quite nicely during today’s run. i guess i should just recognize that every time i push myself a bit more on distance or on speed, i should expect some pain if not planned well enough and if not done in a gradual way.
    1/7 3.64 — the run was okay at 10:30 per mile, but the roads were slippery because of some freezing rain. icing helps a great deal with the pain. I still have some pain in my achilles, but doing much better everyday. I took it easy though.
    1/9 6.11 —nice group run while snowing lightly!
    1/10 crosstraining—elliptical
    1/11 4.31 — 6 degree weather @10:50
    1/12 crosstraining—elliptical
    1/13 5.08
    1/14 3.14 — have to say, those compression socks rock! first time user, wow!

44.58/70

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    More on topic.. errr.... off topic imagery:

image%25255B16%25255D.png?imgmax=800

0Logdri.jpg
  • Elise4270
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Speaking of munchies, I wonder if they will deliver to the trail...

article-2559343-1B7BDDE300000578-442_634x424.jpg

Duh, "trail mix" lol!

EDIT: sheesh- ya I can't see pics on the mobile.. Now I see the delivery van. "Trail mix" isn't as funny as I thought it was... If they are stoners, they deliver anywhere, Scooby. Just check out "munchie man" lol!

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455: I don’t THINK so on the pullcords (the UnderArmour jacket) but I wouldn’t have known to look for those. I’ll check before tonight’s run.
    @7lenny7: I did tuck in the long-sleeve layer during my most recent run and it helped for sure although I was still colder than I’d like for just three miles. I’ll have to resolve this if I’m gonna get that 8 in tonight. Maybe I’ll have to settle for a non-wicking second layer that’s long enough to tuck. I can try and get another long-sleeve shirt soon I suppose.
    @moyer566: I have a jacket that I like to wear when it’s raining that tends to shear off water pretty well and I’ve noticed for being lightweight that it tends to do pretty well with wind. Maybe I can try that in place of or in addition to the current top layer.

Thanks guys (and gals) for some ideas…