The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Love reading what people are doing. It's fun to see how everyone is working on something, and most of you are being pretty intelligent about how you work on it. Too bad I don't have time to reply to specifics and still get to bed on time!

January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 - 10.17 warm up + 7.5 mile race
    1/2 - 12.29 long slow run
    1/3 - 5.16 easy with fast finish
    1/4 - 6.01 easy
    1/5 - 11.09 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/6 - 5.95 group run
    1/7 - 8.04 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/8 - scheduled rest day
    1/9 - 16.48 warm up + Winter Warrior Half
    1/10 - 7.46 easy
    1/11 - 10.07 easy
    1/12 - 8.39 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/13 - 8.02 easy and snowy
    1/14 - 8.70 warm up, speed work, cool down
    1/15 - scheduled rest day
    1/16 - 13.64 with hills
    1/17 - 12.05 easy
    1/18 - 8.53 easy plus 4 strides
    1/19 – 7.94 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/20 – 6.17 easy
    1/21 – 9.64 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/22 – scheduled rest day
    1/23 – 17.86 easy
    1/24 – 7.49 easy
    1/25 – 10.08 easy
    1/26 – 8.07 warmup, speed work, cool down

January to date total – 219.30

Goal - 51 to 62 miles per week, per training plan
    expected January total - 245 to 251 miles

Today's notes - Speed work today was all at R pace. 4 x 200 at R with 200 recovery, 3 x 600 at R with 400 recovery, 4 x 200 at R with 200 recovery. Add a two mile warm up and a two mile cool down, and you get 8 miles for the day.

I'm coming to really hate doing R, but it's better on a track than on the roads. When I was stretching afterward, Coach came over and explained what the plan is trying to do: First you work at R to improve mechanics and running efficiency. Then you work at I to increase VO2 max, hopefully carrying the more efficient running through with you. Then you work at T to improve endurance. At least, that's what I think he said. I might not have understood it all the way. The efficiency thing of R makes a lot of sense. By the time I get to 600 meters at R, I have to run pretty efficiently to hold the pace for the last 200 meters. To tell the truth, I didn't really hold the pace; but I came closer this week than last week. I guess that's training.

I'm really looking forward to the long speed workouts where the paces are MP and T and the distances are measured in miles instead of hundreds of meters.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY - need to register)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Foward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY - need to register)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1/1: 6.2 miles
    1/2: 11.6 miles
    1/3: Rest/Travel day
    1/4: 10 miles
    1/5: Rest day
    1/6: 4 miles (am), 8 miles tempo (pm)
    1/7: 4 miles (am), 6 miles with the Thursday crew (pm)
    1/8: Rest day
    1/9: 12.2 miles with the Saturday crew
    1/10: 5 miles
    1/11: 5.8 miles with "Joe-to-Go" crew
    1/12: Rest day
    1/13: 4 miles treadmill (am), 7.1 miles with Wednesday crew (pm)
    1/14: 6 miles (am), no second run :[
    1/15: Rest day
    1/16: 7 miles with Saturday crew
    1/17: 10 miles
    1/18: 6 miles with "Joe-to-Go" crew
    1/19: Rest day/final finals day
    1/20: 4 miles (am), no second run
    1/21: No AM run, 7 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    1/22: 14 miles
    1/23: SNOW DAY!
    1/24: 9 miles
    1/25: 6 miles
    1/26: Rest day; sample Pure Barre class in evening

I scored double core work today! Did my usual stability routine in the morning because I forgot I was doing this free Pure Barre class in the evening at my running store. Pure Barre was pretty fun: some of it was very challenging and highlighted some weak spots. While I won't be paying out my ears for classes, I will take some of what I did in the class and drop it into my weekly core work. Lots of repetitive small movements... left my glutes and quads feeling pretty drained by the end of 50 minutes.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12: Race and Ride Cedar Point HM (maybe)

• JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Three consecutive 5k's with minimal rest intervals. 24:54, 24:14 & 23:56. Continue to hit my Hanson training paces, continue to be on track for Spring goals. Wednesday is supposed to be an easy day. I might swim then do some light jogging.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    1/25/16 - Day 1 for me!
    1.28 mi 27 min (Walk 1 min, Jog 1 min)

Not setting any world records but this was a BIG ACHIEVEMENT for me! Looking forward to the future!

STG: Jog 1 mile
    LTG: Jog 5K

Welcome! Glad to have you aboard. Let us know how we can support you!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian - have fun at your disney race, stop and take in all the picture moments. I ran the inaugural Star Wars HM here and the lines for character pictures during the race were longer than the porta potty lines! It was really fun though!
    @ddmom0811 - Hobbes the Vizsla, somewhat embarrassed, says thank you for the honor of being your dog of the day! I laughed so hard and had to show your post/picture to my husband!
    @Virkati - go and have fun with that running group. Having said that I have not yet run with one myself :) but you go girl!!
    @Stoshew71 - love the story and all the press the race bandit pup is getting! It is great!!
    @karllundy - hope you feel better!

I want to be like this lady when I grow up.. Just not running marathons :) What she has accomplished in just 2 years is amazing!
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/128384870830?view=permalink&id=10153736036450831&comment_id=10153738213820831&ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_comment_reply&actorid=857045300

No running for me today between work and a planning visit with my surgeon.
    I am having surgery on my hand at the end of February so I will not be able to workout, run, nada for 2 weeks until the stitches are out. At that point I can do light cardio (easy running) and any strength training that doesn't involve weights or pressure in/on my hand for 6 weeks until the cast is off. I was also told that I cannot drive until the cast is off, not because I can't but because of the way the law is written (I am checking on this with our DMV though). Going to make it difficult to get to the gym for workouts and to agility, but that is what my husband is for - right? This is all good news since the original estimate had me unable to work for 3 months and everything else 3 months or longer!
  • shanaber
    Options
    @itstime2016 - we all started by putting one foot in front of the other! Welcome and congratulations on making that first effort!
  • shanaber
    Options
    @3dogsrunning - beautiful place to run! My first thought though was that it looks very slippery!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Rest day today. Lots of running around though! I took my dog to get shaved as the heat is too much for her. Now she looks like Santa's Little Helper from the Simpsons lol.

bzu3jxtyt05p.jpg

I would run with her, though she doesn't know the difference between an easy run and bolting down the street... and cats... She likes to chase them!

My shins are really holding up so much better than I thought they would after yesterdays 15k! I was expecting my legs to feel pretty beaten up today.. Does this mean my legs are getting better at coping with distance? Maybe it was because I took it easy too and went slow..

I know I only ran yesterday, though I honestly feel as if I could go for an easy 5km right now and usually that isn't the case on a rest day. I won't do it.. maybe tomorrow :wink:
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    3.4 miles today, and 1 mile yesterday. 38.3 miles in total :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    /1-1/9-zero miles- respiratory infection
    1/10-5.9 miles
    1/11-4.0 miles
    1/12-4.0 miles plus strength training
    1/13-5.6 miles
    1/14-rest day (maybe some yoga)
    1/15-3.2 miles treadmill intervals
    1/16-9 miles
    1/17-4.3 miles
    1/18-4 miles of dreadmill intervals + yoga
    1/19-4.8 miles+strength training
    1/20 6 miles +yoga
    1/21-3.5 miles +strength training
    1/22-rest day
    1/23-9.3 miles
    1/24-5.1 miles
    1/25-5.1 miles +yoga
    1/26-3.7 miles +strength training

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1/1: 6.2 miles
    1/2: 11.6 miles
    1/3: Rest/Travel day
    1/4: 10 miles
    1/5: Rest day
    1/6: 4 miles (am), 8 miles tempo (pm)
    1/7: 4 miles (am), 6 miles with the Thursday crew (pm)
    1/8: Rest day
    1/9: 12.2 miles with the Saturday crew
    1/10: 5 miles
    1/11: 5.8 miles with "Joe-to-Go" crew
    1/12: Rest day
    1/13: 4 miles treadmill (am), 7.1 miles with Wednesday crew (pm)
    1/14: 6 miles (am), no second run :[
    1/15: Rest day
    1/16: 7 miles with Saturday crew
    1/17: 10 miles
    1/18: 6 miles with "Joe-to-Go" crew
    1/19: Rest day/final finals day
    1/20: 4 miles (am), no second run
    1/21: No AM run, 7 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    1/22: 14 miles
    1/23: SNOW DAY!
    1/24: 9 miles
    1/25: 6 miles
    1/26: Rest day; sample Pure Barre class in evening
    1/27: 5.5 miles (am)

Great run this morning! It was already above freezing, so I got to run outside instead of the treadmill. Trying to make sure that every outdoor run this week scouts out where people have and have not shoveled so that when I do 15 on Sunday I know what streets are good and which too avoid. People are very lax about shoveling/clearing their corners. So while sidwalks are mostly fine, I don't really like trying to jump through 2-3 foot high piles of mushy snow at the end of the block.

Trying to catch up on posts, but there's just too many every day!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12: Race and Ride Cedar Point HM (maybe)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Love reading what people are doing. It's fun to see how everyone is working on something, and most of you are being pretty intelligent about how you work on it.
    I couldn't agree more. That's what I love about this thread. There seems to be a lot of new runners taking good, sound advice from veterans. I wish I had a place like this to come and learn from the experience of others when I first started running! And not just that, I think we all can learn from each other here. You guys all rock!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning: I like your back-of-the-pack idea. I think I might just do that! I tend to get super-serious during races, and that is exactly what I do not want to happen with this one. I do believe I will have to constantly remind myself I'm there for the fun, but we'll see. I might get all wrapped up in the "Disney Magic" and forget that I'm in a race. My "serious" half will be in September, and barring any injuries, I will definitely be pushing myself to do my best through that one.

@9voice9: Thanks! The entire week should really be an awesome time, and the race is a bucket-list (of sorts) bonus.

@5BeautifulDays: I give you all the props in the world. I see all the challenges my friend faces with her son, and I seriously consider her a saint. She has such patience and such thick skin. It is absolutely amazing. Being a single mom with very little support from family and an ex-spouse would be hard enough, I can imagine. Having a child with Autism (he's been diagnosed with Asperger's) would also be challenging enough on it's own. Putting the two together has to be so difficult, but when you talk to my friend, or see her, she is always so positive and happy. She amazes me. Honestly, I have no idea how my friend does it. I was honored, really, when she asked me to go with them. I have been with them to amusement parks (and many other places) several times in the past - both on very good days for her son, and very bad days for her son. I expect to experience a little of both next month. Dinosaurs, elephants, and the color green are his "things" and there is quite a bit of all of those at Disney. I really think he will have a great and special time, overall, at Disney, and I know my friend will, as well - she has always wanted to go to Disney, herself, so it will be a great experience for them both, I think. How long will you be down there for? We should totally meet up for a drink or a short chat, at least!

@shanaber: I had a feeling the lines would be incredibly long, but I'm okay with that. I have accepted the fact that it may take me 3 hours to finish. haha I'm hoping the race isn't all princesses, but it probably is, and I've accepted that, as well. I was always a bit of a tomboy, and I have never been a princess person, but I feel obligated to stop for a photo with someone, just to say I did. When in Rome, right? I REALLY want to run one of the Star Wars runs. I grew up with Star Wars. I am a nerd. I LOVE Star Wars. I am so jealous! One day, I will do it. I'm actually looking to go back to Disney World after they open up their Star Wars land (2018 is the projected year, I think) - maybe I can work my Star Wars land visit around the Star Wars race. The other perfect scenario would be a trip to Disneyland to do their Star Wars race. I've been to Disney World several times, but I have never been to Disneyland. Maybe I can work both into my life? :smile:
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 3.5 miles on treadmill
    1/2 - Nada :|
    1/3 - 3.75 miles on treadmill + weights
    1/4 - First day back to office / school...had to stay home to get kids moving and ready.
    1/5 - 4 miles on treadmill + 4.65 miles on stationary bike
    1/6 - 4.5 miles on indoor track followed by an extended stretching session.
    1/7 - Sick / rest day - not sick enough to stay home for the day, but didn't want to push it for a run :/
    1/8 - Another sick / rest day.
    1/9 - 4.1 miles on treadmill
    1/10 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    1/11 - 4 miles on treadmill
    1/12 - Life got in the way - sick children, work issues, etc. - Ick!
    1/13 - Woke up with a head like concrete...stupid sinuses! Hoping to feel better enough to squeeze in a rare late afternoon run today.
    1/13 - 3.25 miles outdoors...woo hoo! Early evening run. Had to watch out for refreeze on sidewalks and streets, but enjoyed it.
    1/14 - 4.95 miles on treadmill (Trek class). My feet are not thanking me for two runs in under 12 hours. Plus, the person next to me must have eaten a poo sandwich before class...blech!! :sweat:
    1/15 - VJ the greyhound woke me up 3x in the night to go out, two kids and myself coughing all night and one kid with high fever this morning = another morning of no run. UGH! I am getting cranky...so going to miss my goal this month!
    1/16 - 4 miles on treadmill
    1/17 - ANOTHER sick / rest day...this virus won't quit
    1/18 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights/abs
    1/19 - Seems my body / this illness thinks a workout every other day is enough...grrr!
    1/20 - 4 miles on treadmill. Hoping to be able to get another run in tomorrow.
    1/21 - 4.65 miles on treadmill (Trek class). First back-to-back run days in over a week...woot!
    1/22 - ANOTHER sick/rest day - ugh!! I feel like @#$& (thanks for indulging me in a whine)
    1/23 - 4 miles on treadmill
    1/24 - 3.2 miles on indoor track
    1/25 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    1/26 - Sick / rest day :'(
    1/27 - 5 miles on treadmill. Got on the scale after...yikes!! Poor food choices still hanging on from holidays, plus missed workouts equals unwanted 3-4 lbs. Gotta remember, I can't outrun my plate!

exercise.png

@runner_girl83 - Cute pup!
    @ddmom0811 - Yay! My son is on the spectrum...maybe he could get into programming. He likes music for some of the same reasons. Plus, yay for Hobbes as the dog of the day! That is fun!
    @shanaber - Thanks! It has been coming / going for ~3 weeks...getting very frustrating. This morning, was fine. It is clearly just viral, not bad enough to stay home, but very fatiguing and lots of coughing in the night.
    @itstime2016 - Welcome! We all started somewhere. This group is wonderfully encouraging and supportive! Great that you are here!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to keep up with this thread by checking in on my phone more but I just realized that I don't get to see the pictures when on the Android app. Just went through the last few pages to see what I missed. @5BeautifulDays that looks like a great running route!
    @runner_girl83 congrats on 15k! That is awesome! Distance PRs are always exciting.
    Way to go Hobbes!! ( @shanaber )

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Last night was the first time I made it to the Winter Warriors group run put on by our local Fleet Feet. It goes for 8 weeks and is for people like me who love running in the winter. I found out that the $25 fee is optional...you're welcome to do the group run for no cost but I plan on paying next time. With it you get two shirts, opportunity for prizes and swag, and reduced fees for two races that I don't plan on running. I just want the shirts! Last night they had Cliff Shots and Cliff Shot electrolyte packets to give away. I came home with three of each. Oh, and the store had beer waiting for us at the end, which was nice.

I enjoyed the group run. I got to talking with one guy before hand and we decided to run together. There's a 4 mile loop and an 7.7 mile loop, both around lakes I had run around last summer. We went for the 7.7. The problem was, I wanted to run at 10:00 to 10:30 and he's normally a 7:45 to 8:00 runner. He said he had no problems slowing down but I felt compelled to speed it up for his sake and we ended up running 9:30. I'll have to swap my Thursday tempo runs for my Tuesday easy runs.

I find I'm in a odd spot for this group, at least for last night. The faster runners did the long loop and the slower runners did the short loop. I'm a slower runner but want the longer distance. We'll see how it goes next week.

I've only knocked out 86 miles of my 135 mile goal, so there's no chance to make it, but considering the little injury I had earlier, I'm fine with that. I'm still not 100% yet but it seems I'm able to do my miles now while still continuing to improve.

avt1etpr1msb.jpeg

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 - love the story and all the press the race bandit pup is getting! It is great!!

It is great that a dog is making a small local race that is raising money for a HS XC team so nationally famous.
    But the story that is not making so strong is that in the very same race, an 8 year old boy set a single-age world record for the HM distance. Grattan O’Neill finished 12th in 1:38:22.

http://runningmagazine.ca/eight-year-old-sets-wr-at-same-alabama-half-marathon-as-ludivine/
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Today was a recovery day and boy did I need it. Slow and easy 6.3 miles. I have been working on hills and trying to build up my muscles for more power. Basically pushing off the ground harder trying to get that "lift" and picking my feet up more (look up "butt kicks drill"). So I have been trashing my legs, especially the last couple of days. So today was nice and easy, relaxed, and soreness.

Date Miles today. Miles for January

1/1 4 miles - 4
    1/2 13.5 miles - 17.5
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 10 miles - 27.5
    1/5 9 miles - 36.5
    1/6 5.5 miles - 42
    1/7 10 miles - 52
    1/8 6.05 miles - 58.05
    1/9 15 miles - 73.05
    1/10 REST DAY
    1/11 9.5 miles - 82.55
    1/12 11.15 miles - 93.7
    1/13 6.2 miles - 99.9
    1/14 10 miles - 109.9
    1/15 5.75 miles - 115.65
    1/16 15 miles - 130.65
    1/17 REST DAY
    1/18 10 miles - 140.65
    1/19 10 miles - 150.65
    1/20 5.75 miles - 156.40
    1/21 10 miles - 166.40
    1/22 4.6 miles - 171
    1/22 3.75 miles - 174.75
    1/23 16.5 miles - 191.25
    1/24 REST DAY
    1/25 10.1 miles - 201.35
    1/26 10 miles - 211.35
    1/27 6.3 miles - 217.65

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom - great news from your PT and that you are finally able to go! That is unbelievable that the lady ran a marathon on the treadmill. I am concerned for her heel strike!

So funny I thought the exact same thing.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom - great news from your PT and that you are finally able to go! That is unbelievable that the lady ran a marathon on the treadmill. I am concerned for her heel strike!

So funny I thought the exact same thing.

I was too actually. LOL