WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• LadyFlashHeart
    LadyFlashHeart Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi SueLouise1 ... I just learned how to book mark this discussion page and I added you as a friend. Click the gray star at the top left hand side of this discussion page and you will find it again in your book mark drop down bar. Thanks for your help BarbieCat
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Alison - why are you cooking all those dinners for Tom? Heather in rainy Hampshire UK

Alison ... I am wondering the same thing!? Do you also eat the same meals as Tom? I recall your food choices as being different.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    :) Jake and I spent time yesterday and today sorting through some old files which resulted in our cancelling a credit card we haven't used in years and creating a huge pile of paper for recycling and another huge pile for shredding.

welcome.gif to everyone who is just starting to post here....don't forget to click on the white star at the top by the page numbers so the star will turn yellow to bookmark the page....this is a great place for support and encouragement....you don't have to respond to everyone, just jump into a conversation that is interesting to you...we are all ages from 49-70 ( and maybe a wider range than that)....some are married, some single, some retired, some working, some with children or grandchildren living with them, and we cover all stages of this journey from wanting to lose huge amounts of weight all the way to some who are maintaining.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful chilly NW Washingtont09013.gif

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Looking good, Heather. I'm proud of you! I think I have that exact same lint brush.

Janet, my DH is the one going around behind people picking up and cleaning. I am more the organizer. We have both gotten worse since we retired. I can't believe I used to make fun of his mother because she had a specific place in the cabinet for each kind of glass. Now I have turned into her. Yikes!

Speaking of clutter and FlyLady and weight loss, Flylady calls excess pounds "body clutter." I totally envy those of you who have been extremely successful in your body decluttering efforts.

Welcome, welcome, welcome to all the newbies and those who have returned. The more the merrier in this thread.
  • momof3boys24
    momof3boys24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to this group and look forward to receiving and hopefully giving support! I've got 2 teenage boys who are very active with sports and 1 son who is out of our home. This year my first goal is to begin bringing my lunch daily to work. I've just finished preparing, measuring, and dividing out the meals for this week. Hope I can continue this and build towards my next goal!
  • loki2424
    loki2424 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to my fitness pal. Time to get serious. For January my goals are
    1 track everyday
    2. Increase exercise to 3-4 times per week
    3. Seriously limit alcohol
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Would love to de clutter, my problem is DH. He loves stuff, I throw he brings in. I organize he un, never puts back in the same place. Mother was ill n never taught as a child, now a pattern. He's a great DH , clutter is his only fault. Downtown Abbey starts this eve, and Viking/ packers game. Sometimes, 2 sets going!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Popping in to wish everyone a fantastic year with weight loss and lifestyle changes. Read through the many posts on here, they are always so interesting.

I am definitely going to try really hard this year to eat healthy meals, drink water, be more active, get out in the fresh air and walk to clear my head of any negativity. I am going to lose this weight.

Wishing everyone health and happiness.
  • dcan61
    dcan61 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This writing on message boards is totally new for me so please bear with me. I want to try something new this year because "doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of crazy." "How do you eat an elephant, one bite at a time."

Happy New Year!
    Dee
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies :flowerforyou:

Welcome to all the new posters! I hope you pop in often and chat! I`ve been on this thread since May of 2012, it won`t take you long to love all these ladies...this is a wonderful group of women!!! Don`t worry about trying to respond to everyone, that gets so overwhelming, chime in when you want to! I try to at least post once or twice a month, would like to do it more often but I limit my computer time, and life is busy, fun but busy. I wish you all the best in this journey!

DrKatiebug :) Everything looks amazing!!!! I think I`m finally excited to get started in my overstuffed closet!

Heather :) Your closet looks great!! Maybe I`ll take a pic of mine when I get it done. I think maybe I should take a before and after pic, although I would never share the before :noway:!

Kim :) Tea towels sounds wonderful! Especially being that you created them...that is a beautiful gift! A few of my friends get me Christmas ornaments for gifts, I love it. When I put the ornaments away for the season I wrap each carefully and when I get them out again they each bring a smile to my face. I got two beautiful ones this year :bigsmile:!

Katla :) Hope your knees feel better soon! I need to do a bit of strengthening exercises for mine too. I have no problems running up the stairs but coming down they don`t feel so good :/ .

Alison :) I`m just going to say it....I wouldn`t cook a darn thing for Tom! He certainly doesn`t appreciate all you do for him. I don`t know how you do it...I know I never could!

I`ve time out of computer time...time to get up and get moving. Ms. Dog and I are going out for a nice little brisk walk!

Happy Sunday!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Oh Gayle, Vikings vs Packers would be a tough one in my family. We grew up in Minneapolis so I'm basically for the Vikings all the way. But when my youngest sister started her family they lived in Madison and she and (especially) her husband became fervent Packers fans.

We just had some absolutely fabulous Northern Lights AND a couple shooting stars to boot. I'm really happy my son was here to see them because last time he was here and we had great Northern Lights, he was just developing pneumonia (not that we knew it yet) and didn't feel up to going out.

All the chillen are asleep so all the adults are chillin'
    /Penny, twice as far as usual from the emoticon-object-026.gif ... but still pretty close ...
  • MaryGrace1965
    MaryGrace1965 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hello from Southern Illinois. Was scrolling through some things and found this feed. Love it. I love inspiring and motivating people on this life style change. I am so ready to get back on track. Tired of excuses. They sure won't get me to where I am going. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Jane, hope you feel better, and the outcomes for your DMIL are good.
  • 2abnorth
    2abnorth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Happy new year to all. I ran across this group today, and thought I'd introduce myself. I am not one to make resolutions but do goal set. I'm 51 (soon to be 52) and live in Northern Alberta, Canada. I loved to learn fitness years ago, but find it a moving target, and constantly evolving for me. I am a reformed cardio bunny who found weight lifting & loved it. It is now my mainstay. An injury in April set me back, and after months off, am getting back to my routine. So my goals thus far are:

1. Consistently strive for 3 weight workouts per week, with optional day of cardio.
    2. Log daily to track my macros
    3. Learn to find balance between work & play.

That's about all for now. I don't always have time to check these forums regularly but will try to keep up. Look forward to meeting all of you.

Cindy from Alberta
  • suelouise1
    suelouise1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lagopus, just curious - where do you live? I live in Alaska. I was wondering as you posted about seeing the Northern Lights.

Sue, from Alaska
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,726 Member
    Options
    well here I am again...
    No I don't eat the same things as Tom does, I try and eat a more balanced diet.. when I shopped today I bought myself.. salad fixings, chicken breasts, will hard boil some eggs, fruit and frozen veggies, have brown rice here and wraps.also bought all natural peanut butter..
    I guess I am a people pleaser,I just go about doing what I do, I am always trying to take care of someone or something..
    Tomorrow will be first day back to work in 3 weeks, will have to put up with the troll, and im sure there will be alot I need to catch up on..
    Dee Dee I know ,why should I cook for him? well I dont know again, thats what I do.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Dear ladies,
    Yep I think the cleaning bug has bit our thread here. Which is a good thing! A cleaner home gives us space to breathe!

There was a story in an Oprah Magazine once that talked about cleaning your mental home as well. It said, that our mind is like a house with many rooms, some tidy others locked, and yet others utterly a disaster. True we all have things that we have locked in closets, (if skeletons could talk!) but one thing I'm trying to start this year is "saying what I mean, and mean what I say" kind of thinking. So no mentally balancing on a fence for me. No hiding things in locked rooms inside my head. I am an open book. I did notice when I started cleaning, that it brought a lot of emotional stuff up. Mental cleaning is a messy business, but what you are left with is a mind that can soar! Getting rid of stresses to let the creative spark alight.

My purpose as a parent is to do the best I can with my sons, then let go and let them make mistakes. Funny story, my youngest son was learning to ride his bike. So we are on a paved bike trail behind our house in California. He has his training wheels off, and he rides, fairly fast, but then instead of actually USING the brakes he would just jump off his bike from the side. The most amazing stupid, brave, funny thing you ever saw! He would stand back up after plowing his body into bushes, and rocks exclaiming, "This riding business is painful". Sometimes our kids learn how to do things in the most absurd ways, but eventually they learn. Just be there for a shoulder, or in my case, a carton of band-aids.

My cold has turned into a hacking fit now and then. Still taking medicine, and letting it run its course. Janet make me soup, and I will send you some stew I am concocting today.

Everyone, you seem quite motivated this new year, and it looks MAUVALOUSSS on you all!!!

Becca
    Oregon

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,758 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Alison ... I think wearing yourself out cooking meals for Tom that you generally won't eat is what has us worked up. You are more than a cook and housekeeper ... You might stop that and see what happens. Thinking of you. Hugs.

Beth
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    My riding lesson yesterday was a real pleasure but I came home with sore knees. They're feeling better this morning. The different part of the equation was that I spent some time cantering. :bigsmile: I have mastered the trot without wrecking my knees by limiting posting. Now I need to learn to canter without irritating my knees. (They are feeling much better this morning.)

Katla in Beautiful NW
    Katia, Nice to see other horse women here! I assume you're riding English/Dressage since you're posting. Have you tried riding with a little longer stirrup? It worked wonders for me in both my dressage and western saddles. I have one bum knee...haven't had it diagnosed yet, but after one of my dogs plowed into it and it hyper extended it throbs below the kneecap now and again. Especially if I do a lot of standing.

Trying another new chicken recipe tonight. Pulled out my Weight Watchers cookbooks last night. Chicken with broccoli and oranges was delicious (hubby who doesn't care for citrus loved it)!

Feeling so motivated by you ladies, I want to go reorganize my closet and drawers!!

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    all you new peeps on here......just unload all your MENTAL BAGGAGE onto the white part of the screen. We have professional cleaners that come once a week so no worries. Vent, scream, but no whining, or stomping of your feet, cuz we just laugh and point.... (just kidding). In this little thread are people you can count on, people that can motivate you, and people you can trust. Me, oh I am just the weird one. They keep me on for sh!ts, and giggles truly! It's because I lived with comedians in the 80's and because I'm presently married 31 yrs to a raunchy Navy Retired Chief. Yep that pretty much covers everything.

Becca
    Newcomers Info coordinator
    Oregon
    You know that place that rains, but not as much as Washingtonians, but we use it as a marketing tool.

Referring to Oregon’s tourist industry in a 1971 speech, McCall may have first publicly voiced his famous “Come visit, don’t stay” slogan: “I urge them to come and come many, many times to enjoy the beauty of Oregon. But I also ask them, for heaven’s sake, don’t move here to live.”
    hahaha found that funny. We Oregonians are a weird lot.