WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    all you new peeps on here......just unload all your MENTAL BAGGAGE onto the white part of the screen. We have professional cleaners that come once a week so no worries. Vent, scream, but no whining, or stomping of your feet, cuz we just laugh and point.... (just kidding). In this little thread are people you can count on, people that can motivate you, and people you can trust. Me, oh I am just the weird one. They keep me on for sh!ts, and giggles truly! It's because I lived with comedians in the 80's and because I'm presently married 31 yrs to a raunchy Navy Retired Chief. Yep that pretty much covers everything.

Becca
    Newcomers Info coordinator
    Oregon
    You know that place that rains, but not as much as Washingtonians, but we use it as a marketing tool.

Referring to Oregon’s tourist industry in a 1971 speech, McCall may have first publicly voiced his famous “Come visit, don’t stay” slogan: “I urge them to come and come many, many times to enjoy the beauty of Oregon. But I also ask them, for heaven’s sake, don’t move here to live.”
    hahaha found that funny. We Oregonians are a weird lot.

LOL!

Cheri NE Ohio
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    WOW, I just got done reading the last 6 pages. Well must take the word 'reading' pretty lightly. I think I skimmed some. January rained down on us a whole bunch of new ladies. I hope it just isn't a new years resolution that doesn't go anywhere. I know I have been there many years. And I hope it isn't empty for me also.

I have really let my diet and exersice go this past couple of months. So I join all of the new ones here in making this promise to get on that thing and make something happen. And so you are reading it here and now that there better be some one who makes room for me on that wagon.

Saturday was wonderful. No, more than wonderful. It makes me sos happy to know that I am keeping the tradition and hopes of Don And Grace Peterson, my parents, and I had ALL of my siblings and their children and grand children in my home. We used to have it in my parents small home when it was just us siblings and our children. Then Dad died and Mom couldn't do it anymore. My sister had it in her home but it was so crowded a small movement made the tree fall down. So our home became the permanent home for the Peterson family Christmas. We missed our brother so much but when he called me Saturday night he couldn't hardly talk because of the coughing. We were worried about what the little kids would do at the fellowship hall with no toys. Well they just played with each other. They ran, they talked and giggled and had so much fun. It did occur to me when I took a picture of the huge spread we had to put on our plates that our meals that were cooked in Mom's simple kitchen were much simpler. We didn't have 5 salads, 7 deserts, 2 meats but that's OK. This year we tried to have Santa's helpers (my grandchildren) hand out the little kids presents out to them so we could see their joy, presents and give an opportunity to have them say thank you and then hand the adults their gifts.

Also this year was a wonderful day for my nephew who had been addicted to heroin. My other nephew who is an alcaholic and been sober for 17 years was able to present Matts 2 year sober coin to him. Alan gave it to each of us before hand to let us pray or bless it or just to give the coin whatever thoughts we wanted. I know when I got it I just thought of Mom and just broke down. Matt and my brother had come to see her in hospice but Matt couldn't stay because he knew he was going to need to get back home so he could shoot up his heroin. He says this was one of his bleakest moments and his one huge regret in life. I told him to just turn that negative around and make ti one of his most wonderful days. It made him hate his heroin and was one of the many things that led to his recovery. Of course it was the judge who by the grace of God sent him to an inpatient recovery program instead of hard time in prison.but that day should be used positively. I also let him know that Mom even though she died days later had forgiven him. So we were glad we were able to be part of that day for Matt. I am so thankful that Alan is the person he is and is affecting so many alcoholics instead of being the homeless guy he was.

I guess I need to join the declutter wagon also. I really need it. I have since 1978 in these cabinets and shelves.

Love you all. Joyce, Indiana. I think I remember some one from southern Illinois! Where are you from?
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good evening! I'm trying hard to get back in the habit of posting daily again. I am on my second day of being under calorie goal. I'm not liking myself very much--and neither are my clothes!

The boy child and I tried a new restaurant for lunch today. It was a Mexican place but a little more upscale. I had delicious fish tacos made with grilled tilapia!! Other than the tortilla, there was noting remotely unhealthy about them. I did end up eating most of my beans, though, because they were more like charro beans instead of the typical refried mushy stuff we usually get. I do believe we will go back again!

I have PT tomorrow morning and it will probably be my last appointment. I hope my favorites are there so that I can say goodbye and thanks.

I wanted to do some cooking today but my fridge is full. I'm not complaining! Andrew seems to take up a lot of space with his food so I kind of hold back on mine until he is gone. The fridge here is considerably smaller than the one at the old house.

Thanks for all of your support regarding Andrew. None of you criticized my feelings! So many people seem to feel that I should be ecstatic at the thought of having him move back in. Maybe I'm just an unnatural parent, but I'm ready to live my own life for a while.

Lisa - Thanks for your words about taking one step at a time. I'm working on keeping my calories where they are supposed to be for now and will add in exercise as I can. I miss it, but it seems too overwhelming right now.

All of you declutterers are welcome at my house! My stuff is pretty tidy except that I still have stuff in boxes from when I moved a year ago. I ran out of money for the few pieces of furniture that I needed and the boxes hold things that would fit in the unacquired pieces. Maybe now that my shoulder is mostly better, I can actually put something in my empty attic!

It's time for dinner. I'm not really hungry so I think I'll have a small snack supper so I won't be tempted to eat at bedtime.

Oh!! Welcome newbies!!!

Carol in NC

• jmok01
    jmok01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Greetings! It’s been awhile since I posted, but I’ve been reading as much as I can. I love reading about your lives, successes, and challenges, and how you support each other. I’m envious of those you who write posts; writing is not what I do best.

Syliva and others – is there room on your wagon for me? I gained 19 of the 28 pounds I lost over the last 1.5 years. Exercising (even a little bit) needs to be a priority as I tend to make better food choices when I exercise on a regular basis.

Goal: Last summer, my husband bought bikes for us and we went on a grand total of 3 short rides. This winter I want to exercise and build up my strength and stamina so we can do more riding this coming summer. I’ll never be in Pip’s league, but rides on our local bike trails with my husband would be a lovely way to spend summer evenings.

January Goals:
    • Log every bite
    • Drink at least 6 glasses of water daily
    • Walk 30 minutes a minimum of 3 times a week; (I know this is small, but currently I rarely do any exercise)
    • Eliminate/drastically reduce alcohol (thank you Katla for inspiring this one)
    • Complete paperwork for MED Internship (will involve limiting wasted time on mindless computer games)

Joyce in SD (still faceless since I can’t get my picture to post)

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference. ~Winston Churchill

10296044.png
  • terialsip
    terialsip Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    cjor7mm3dg0j.jpg

Welcome to a wonderful supportive community of women. The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

Some of us have been posting on this thread for awhile and others are new.

Please join us on the journey to health, weight loss, and fitness.

If you made any goals or resolutions for December, how did you do?

If you have made any goals or resolutions for January, please share them with us.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful chilly NW Washingtont09013.gif

December Resolutions: (with end of the month comments)
    *walk an average of 13,000 steps a day (great until the "week of no exercise")
    *knit hats for three great-grandkids (finished and mailed to them in Ohio)
    *meditate for 10 minutes a day four or more days a week (consistently almost every day)
    *answer a friend's e mail that I've put off too long (answered and then she replied so she's on my list again)

January Resolutions
    *meditate for 10 minutes a day four or more days a week
    *sort and discard papers for 15 minutes four or more days a week
    *treat myself like a toddler (as suggested by Gretchen Rubin)
    *get income tax papers gathered in one place

My word for 2015 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

• terialsip
    terialsip Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I will be 52 in two weeks. I'm wondering why its harder to lose weight as we get older. If u have any advise or tips plz share!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, made a wonderdul red lentil soup with lemon from a ny times recipe, wow is it tasty. I wil be bringing to work all week.
    I am extending myself at work a little by organizing an "on you honor" lunch this month, the idea is to find 5 folks willing to make and carry in crockpot food for everyone to eat as long as they contribute $$ to our local food drive/pantry. It is a bit of a stretch for me but i am willing and hopeful that it is successful.
    I am taking baby steps in this direction socially i guess.
    I too was inspired by all the decluttering successes of everyone and then thought better of it. If i cleaned up i wouldnt be able to find anything!
    Karen from ny
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,576 Member
    Options
    jmok01 wrote: »
    Greetings! It’s been awhile since I posted, but I’ve been reading as much as I can. I love reading about your lives, successes, and challenges, and how you support each other. I’m envious of those you who write posts; writing is not what I do best.

Syliva and others – is there room on your wagon for me? I gained 19 of the 28 pounds I lost over the last 1.5 years. Exercising (even a little bit) needs to be a priority as I tend to make better food choices when I exercise on a regular basis.

Goal: Last summer, my husband bought bikes for us and we went on a grand total of 3 short rides. This winter I want to exercise and build up my strength and stamina so we can do more riding this coming summer. I’ll never be in Pip’s league, but rides on our local bike trails with my husband would be a lovely way to spend summer evenings.

January Goals:
    • Log every bite
    • Drink at least 6 glasses of water daily
    • Walk 30 minutes a minimum of 3 times a week; (I know this is small, but currently I rarely do any exercise)
    • Eliminate/drastically reduce alcohol (thank you Katla for inspiring this one)
    • Complete paperwork for MED Internship (will involve limiting wasted time on mindless computer games)

Joyce in SD (still faceless since I can’t get my picture to post)

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference. ~Winston Churchill

10296044.png

bike riding is such an individual thing, don't worry about it. just ride !!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,576 Member
    Options
    just delivered one of kirby's cannondale bikes to a friend. he helped out by mowing our yard and the family has been super nice. he hooked him up with a bike. put on regular pedals for him, a headlight, bought a tail light, bike lock and put on a water bottle. we're happy it's going to someone thats always wanted one, couldn't afford one and appreciates one. he has offered his services whenever we need him. it was snowing earlier, the ground is white and it will be a fun ride tomorrow morning!

nite peeps
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Becca - Just picked up the mail; your Advent Story was inside and it made me so very happy. Your last name is the same as my niece's married name; they live in Cummings, GA. Both of them are 'deaf'; but, they have 'hearing' children; so they all had to go to Easter Seals to learn how to communicate with each other. Everything in the house is wired so that 'if' the doorbell rings the lights flash; and, when one of the boys needed her as babies, they'd flash a different pattern, same for oven, phone, and things like that. She and her Mother have one of those special phones that they talk to one another by typing in their Q's & A's. All of them know how to 'sign'. Johnny was 3 when he went deaf due to an illness; Lynn was born deaf after my sister had the 3-day measles during the beginning of her 4th month of pregnancy. She did not even think to end the pregnancy (a friend of hers who was 2 weeks ahead in her pregnancy had a child; but had her baby early who was both blind and deaf because of it). Lynn has been such a 'joy' to our family. She was profoundly deaf; but, did not learn how to sign until she went to Gallaudet College for the Deaf in Washington, DC. She was about to graduate from HS and they were worried about what she'd do for a living; when the students had a sit-in to demonstrate the hiring of a 'hearing' Dean and she saw it on TV. They won out; they hired a 'deaf' Dean. She turned to her parents and told them 'that's where she wanted to go'. She went up that summer and learned sign language; they could not 'speak' even if the for the entire time she was there. Lynn could read lips and had gone to Easter Seals and special classes most of her life and then to a 'church school' that only had a few students in each grade. My sister taught there; sort of like 'home schooling' but in a place and not at home, so they did learn the skills of 'socialization'. She is a beautiful woman. Has a degree (but I don't know what it is in; I'm sure she could teach if she had to; but, she doesn't have to work outside the home. One night at the Atlanta Braves years ago, she translated the Anthem. Her husband was the President of the Deaf Community. She was very nervous doing it; but, she had read it and memorized it to be able to 'sign' it for the group that was there. She is a very 'independent' woman; much more so than her older sister. Older sister and all her children learned how to 'sign', too. Johnny has gotten to where he will 'speak' more while he is signing to Lynn so that she can translate what he is saying to her parents. Sister (mine) learned how to do some of the basic signing.

Funny thing was Tommy (BnL) never would admit that she was deaf. Suzanne knew that something was wrong when she was vacuuming the room and she was sitting on the floor and had her back to her and she had told her to move. She never turned around. Suzanne turned the vacuum cleaner off and yelled and clapped her hands and no reaction to that either. She called Tommy at work and told him to come home, something was seriously wrong with Lynn. The hairs in her ears that move the sound into her ear canal were all missing. That's the reason for her deafness. Watching TV for her was difficult because of the 'off screen' jokes or punch lines. They'd start laughing and she'd ask why and Tommy would brush her off with a 'I'll tell you later'. So that summer she brought home 2 of her friends from college; and, they'd be signing to one another and start laughing. Tommy would ask what had been said; and, she turned to tables on him, "I'll tell you later!" My Daddy thought she hung the moon and stars; but, he was always 'nuts' for the 'baby of the family'. I was the 'baby' for the longest period of time while he was still alive. She only weighed 4.9lb; but, since she had an older sister they let my sister bring her home with her. So small. I gave him his first grandsons; and my sisters figured it was a conspiracy. LOL! Three girls; first with 2 daughters, me with 2 sons; and middle sister bring up the rear with a girl and a boy.

Well, gang - I'm going to do the decluttering act; beginning this weekend. I'm going to get DOGD to do the bathroom as if it was her bathroom. I know I will need a big box for her to put things in. I'm going to finish tackling the kitchen. Need to rearrange my cabinets, wash down the inside and outside of the cabinets; then I will tackle my filing cabinet drawers (all 6 of them are FULL and we can't find things that we know have to be in there somewhere.

"Hi"
    to all the newbies! I usually just post random thoughts and things. I'm just a 'little' on the 'kooky' side. LOL!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • bskts4ver
    bskts4ver Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Had my last deep fat fried breaded tenderloin sandwich until this summer.......I start tomorrow....30 pounds by the end of June. Beside de-Christmasing my house today, I also did a quick purge of our pantry and refrigerator and I'm currently watching football and putting together our weekly grocery shopping list.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening, Ladies,

Janetr, so sorry you feel like Ralph Rotten. Glad you made it to nice weather and hope you feel well soon. Even though OU lost to Clemson it was a great game.

Mare, welcome. If you come here often you will never be alone. These lovely ladies are my dear friends and help me get through tough times.

Marlynx, welcome to you also. You will be surprised at all the health benefits of eating right and losing weight. Glad to have you join us.

Kay, love the pictures of all your organized drawers and closet. I can’t even imagine!

Viv, if you can afford the lower income, I totally support you in working fewer days a week. As we aren’t getting any younger, why not enjoy life as much as possible?

PolePenny, I have a hubby that will eat anything too. It’s so nice to not have to worry about it and he likes leftovers as much as I do, so I don’t even have to cook every day. What a blessing.

Lynn, when you walk by other people’s desks, put on blinders! Just don’t even look at those candy jars. Good luck.

Heather, great job. One thing about the year you lose 60 pounds is I have no clothes that I don’t wear. I have gotten rid of everything and have a whole new wardrobe.

Kerce, welcome. Congrats on your weight loss and keep up the good work.

Bisky, welcome. Glad to have an Italian join us. This is a great place for support and information so come often.

Heather, you know that I occasionally don’t know a word that you use: you said, “He does it very well, but doesn't clean the hob.” And I don’t know what a hob is????

Nancy, welcome, we are happy to have you join us. Come often and join right in.

Kate, welcome to you as well. It sounds like you are off to a great start. This was my first time to ever count calories and it has been so much easier than I expected. Come often and join right in.

Katla, glad the knees are feeling better today. If I had drawers under my bed they sure wouldn’t be empty. Are empty drawers even allowed???? confused.gif

Kim, I have a very good friend that is hard to buy for because she gets anything her heart desires and has the money to do it. This year I ended up giving her a gift set of Yankee Candles because I know she likes candles as much as I do. It is something she could and would get for herself but at least I know it’s something she’ll use. Your gift sounds great and something anyone can always use.

Heather said, “Alison - why are you cooking all those dinners for Tom? ” and I was wondering the same thing??? Sounds to me like he has it made in the shade!

Sue, glad to have you join us. Come often.

Elaine, I know you can do this just like I know I can. Have a great year and here is to all of us reaching our goals. drunk.gif

DeeDee, good to see you. You know you can share anything with us, even a before picture of your closet. smiley-laughing014.gif

PolePenny, how totally cool for your DS to see the Northern Lights!!!!!

MaryGrace, welcome and you are so right. Excuses don’t work for the outcome we want. Hang with us and we will all get there.

Cindy, good to meet you too. Weight lifting seems to be the go to exercise. Wish I was into it. Glad to have you join us so come often.

Joyce, get on up here on this wagon! You know we will always make room. Your Christmas gathering sounds wonderful and especially the 2 year sober pin. (((Hugs)))

CarolNC, you know that we can only do what we can do. You will get back on track and exercising but what you went through with your shoulder surgery would set anyone back. Be kind to yourself and take it one day at a time. (((Hugs)))

joyceSD, you can get rid of that 19 pounds again. You did it once. And getting back in to riding will be a great way to help with that. Take it one step at a time but just keep moving forward.

Karen, what a wonderful idea for your lunch at work this month. Way to go.

Pip, how nice to give a bike to your friend. That is really cool.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I worked out on my Wii fit for over an hour this morning. It wasn’t a hard workout but a good start. I had a few sore muscles just from what I did yesterday. We had the soup that I made yesterday for dinner tonight. It was yummy! It was another day without rain so we finally got down the Christmas lights from outside. Now I just have to finish putting everything in the right tubs and get them into the attic. After that I can do a little deep cleaning and some organizing.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy New Year. rose.gif
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm settling in to watch Downton Abbey. I'm so excited! But first we have to watch 60 minutes. That's ok too.

I was really good on my food today. Supper tonight was a salad with hard boiled eggs. It was yummy.

Tomorrow hubby and I are going to Bentonville, Arkansas to visit the Crystal Bridges Art Museum. They recently bought a Frank Lloyd Wright house and moved the whole thing to Bentonville and put it back together. It should be interesting and a fun little day trip. We will take the kids to school and go to the Y first before we leave.

Good night everyone!

Sylvia
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Go Vikings!

<3

My Mom would be saying Go Packers

Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Grits~ Endearing family stories I just sit here, sipping my tea (coughing like a banshee). My eldest son had 70% hear loss in one of his ears, so they put tubes in and he got better. We were stationed in Japan and since he wasn't watching cartoons with sound on, we assumed it was because of the language barrier. It was when we arrived home, and he was watching TV with the sound turned waaay down that we knew something was wrong. After his ear tubes and he had speech classes, he learned to socialize better. Before when he would come into a conversation, and everyone was talking about trucks, my son would interject with a comment about planes. Kids started listening to how he pronounced a word, instead of what he was actually saying. Growing up in Japan from 2-4 yrs of age, the word "World" was Wow-ahd. Since he didn't hear the 'r' or the 'L' sound in society, (except from us) his dialect was quite interesting. In the USA, he was petrified of American kids, and gravitated towards Asian children. American kids thought he had a German accent. It was an experience living there, that we shall remember forever that is for certain. Seven years all together, (4 yr sea duty, 3 yr shore duty with son) in Japan, and 9 yrs for my husband.

アイ・アム・プラウド・トゥー・ビー・ヨー・フレンド
    (I am proud to be your friend)
    bowing
    In cold Oregon
    Becca-San
    ベッカ
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of Jeanette Jenkins Core Stretch DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do another segment of the Butt Lift DVD I have, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

Earlier today I made two pumpkin gingerbread loafs and now I'm trying this recipe for a cauliflower bread stick. Not sure how it'll come out. I would think there'd be too much moisture in the cauliflower but nothing was said about wringing it out. If it doesn't turn out OK, I have a recipe for a Crubbie Phyllo Cup that I'll make for Mexican Train, I'll just have to go to the store to get crab. Update: I'll take the cauliflower breadsticks to Mexican Train this Tues. I did go to the store and get the crab but I can always use that next week when I have to make something for Rummikub

Becca - when we moved I got rid of this Casper the Friendly Ghost VHS and now I'm so sorry I got rid of it. I was hoping it would be on your list...but alas

Welcome everyone new

DJ - I'm planning to have soup for breakfast tomorrow before I go to the extremepump class

janetr - enjoy yourself!

drkatiebug - you amaze me how organized you are!

bisky - what takes you to Italy? How long have you been there?

Kim and Katla - my bed has drawers under it, too, and they are full

anamika - welcome home!!!!!

Carol/Peach - unfortunately, the "decluttering" bug hasn't made its way to NC yet.

pip - drkatie can only go to your house AFTER she's been to mine.

Becca - feel better fast

Joyce - your Christmas sounds so lovely

Carol in NC - I went to a Mexican restaurant in FL once and had these awesome fish tacos. The fish was grilled. The only thing was that it came with some sort of aioli but I asked for it on the side. Can't remember the name of the place we went to

Joyce in SD - of course theres' room for one more...and two more....and three more......

Karen - I think your "honor lunch" sounds like a lovely idea.

Michele in NC
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Wow! Lots of posts over the past couple of days. Welcome to all the newcomers. This is a great group and looking forward to seeing you continue to post.

Got home today from Christmas at my mom's house. It was a nice weekend but just a couple of hiccups. My youngest sister and her husband drive an older van and it would not start on Saturday. Also would not take a jump start, so figured it was the starter. Found someone who could look at it on Sunday so it was towed there. Good news is that it ended up being a loose connection on the starter and not the starter itself. So the garage fixed it for free and sent them on their way. That was great news as they really do not have the money to pay for expensive car repairs.

Another brother-in-law was not feeling well and spent the day on Saturday in his hotel room and missed out on the family get together. He recently had his gal bladder removed, but is still having stomach issues. He is now seeing a gastroenterologist so hopefully they will get this figured out soon.

Other than those two things, the weekend was nice. Spent time with my mom and her husband, my brother and his family, and my three sisters and their significant others. Then, on the way home, we stopped and spent a couple of hours with my dad and his wife.

Once we got home, I laid down and took a nice nap. My younger daughter heads back to school tomorrow and she is not ready. My older daughter has one more week at home before she goes back to college. She will work at the pool a couple of days and will spend some time working on her scholarship applications which are due in mid-January.

I am inspired by all the posts about de-cluttering, but think I need to focus on my priorities right now. Need to get the Christmas things put away (haven't done that yet since we were out of town this weekend) and need to get my eating and exercise back on track. I do like the idea of 15 minutes at a time and will put that into practice once I get back into a healthy routine.

Talk (or type) to you all soon.

Linda/IA