WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    When my boys were little and they started 'jee-jaw' at one another; I'd make them stand in a small block of the kitchen floor and hug one another. After a few minutes they were laughing and the argument was over.

Does anybody have a reasonably priced Fitbit they are selling?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    morning peeps and new peep-c's -

annr - did i see you steal my word peeps earlier???? you know i have a patent on that word :0)

jmkmomm- i get his hair colored (he doesn't care one way or the other), he is a natural blonde, i just like changing it up a bit. his gray looks really white so you can't tell what's blonde and whats white ya know?

granmallie - i woulda told him, "you're a dissapointment to yourself because you are treating someone else like this, not to mention that someone else is your wife"{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

katla - sorry bout the wrist girlfriend

marygrace - so sorry to hear about your mom, my thoughts are with you

wet ride into the gym this morning, no more snow, :-(, it was still brrr though, oh well.....
    listed our pinball machine on facebook for sale, if it doesn't sell on there, then craigslist, we'll see how that goes.

type to ya later -
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, just wanted to let you know I'm still around. Keeping up every day, just not responding. Things have been difficut lately, it seems like I take 1 step up and then get knocked down 3. Some days I'm just taking it 1 hour at a time.

I have been coping with the upset by exercising, this is what helped me in the past and has kept my weight in check. I am happy to report that I ended the year at my goal weight in spite of all the added holiday eating and drinking. I had a 2 lb. "reserve" which came in handy. Now it's time to get serious again.

I hosted a "Downton Abbey" viewing party last night. Four Downton fan friends came to the house and we had tea and assorted goodies. Nothing too bad. We really enjoyed watching together, and several times cheers were heard at the good parts. One friend dressed in a gown, fur, pearls and facinator. Much fun and a very satisfying episode. Heather, if you watch, please don't tell give away any spoilers. I will consult you for proper English foods next time.

Katla...so sorry to hear about your wrist. Hope you heal quickly and completely. We can all take heed and tred cautiously this winter.

Sylvia...I am also a Frank Lloyd Wright fan. A museum in New Hampshire purchased one of his houses in NH that is completely furnished with his furniture, assessories and textiles. The original owners comissioned FLW to build and furnish their house and didn't change anything. It's quite a treat because there are not too many of his houses in New England. I've toured a couple in Chicago and want to go to Pittsburg to see Fallingwater. Enjoy your day, you deserve it.

Looking back at the past year, I have realized that alot of the good changes I have made in my life have come from you ladies. Not just the weight loss, but the commitment to exercise, motivation, and recently the orginazation of my dresser drawers! I have refolded everything and the drawers look so good. For all the new ladies, you just never know what helpful information you will find here to make your life better.

Right now my goals for January:
    Exercise every day
    Drink 64 oz of water/day
    Log all food
    Do not go above goal weight
    Do something that makes me happy every day
    Breath.....

Chris in MA
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Chris- your determination and positive attitude are very inspirational!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Katla- Oh dear!!! A broken wrist! I hope it is a simple break that heals quickly

Allie!! I am so proud of you – standing up for yourself is so awesome. And I think your plan of giving it a week break and then making it a dollars and cents issue is a great new twist.

Heather – Cool!

Miriam – I too love frank Lloyd wright and Julia Morgan – my childhood dream was to be an architect, but that was quickly dashed by a parent that told me in no uncertain terms that no girl of hers would do that. I am not really sure I had the skills to do it…

Mary Grace – welcome, what a story – you can do this ! One meal, (sometimes for me it is one hour) at a time….

Sylvia - Love the haircut comment!!!!

Well started off this morning with a treat – I had a loaf of bread that was getting past it’s prime, and decided to make French toast – sliced off a single serving (by weight) then sliced that into 3 thin pieces, did egg and a splash of non-fat milk, cooked with pam instead of butter… and a 1 tablespoon drizzle of syrup yummy – a bit higher in calories than my “normal” breakfast but it is rainy and cold – and Levi and I got caught in the rain, so a hot breakfast was on my list of wants!

Well off to work – love my commute! 20 steps down the hall LOL

Kim from N. California
  • loxcole64
    loxcole64 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well I have restarted recording my food today so here goes, I need a lot of help and support so if anyone fancies helping me I would appreciate it. I am getting married in 2017 so would like to be a lot lighter and look amazing in my dress and also to feel a lot better.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

I’m having a terrible time with the MFP site this morning. Not sure if they are working on it or what. While I’m waiting, I’ll mention something I saw on Good Morning America this morning. This applies to those of us that are not good at exercising and/or very out of shape. They had a fitness couple on that recommends when starting an exercise routine, not to try to overdo. I know some of you walk or ride for hours when watching TV but they said if we just get up and move for 5 minutes a day, it is a great start. They showed that this could be walking in place, squats, jumping jacks or anything that gets us off the couch and moving. I grabbed my smart phone, stood up and set the stop watch and started moving. I am going to do that every day while watching my morning news show and every evening while watching the news or whatever. I like to think of this extra exercise like I do my 15 minutes of de-cluttering. I can move for 5 minutes!! Actually on my first time this morning I kept moving for almost 6 minutes. Hopefully before long I will build up my time but for now my commitment to myself is 5 minutes twice a day. Gooooo Janet.groupwave.gif

Linda, how wonderful that your sister’s car was fixed for free. Almost sounds like a Christmas miracle.

Sylvia, I know you are upset about the jeans but now you have real incentive. ((((Hugs))))

Heather, you can say “rubbish” cause I know what that is. smiley-laughing018.gif So the hob is the stove top? Where the burners are? I think I’ve got it. Lol A housekeeper would be wonderful! I had one from time to time over the years when I was working full time. Neither DH nor I like to dust and that is what is left undone too often.

Katla, so sorry to hear that you broke your wrist!!! I broke mine about 6 years ago and it seemed I was in a cast forever. I’d think you can ride with it but the doc will let you know. I hope it’s your left wrist if you are right handed. I seem to recall the biggest problem was putting on a bra. I had a roll of shrink wrap that I put on the cast each day for a shower as I’m not a bath taker. Heal fast, my friend. (later) Bummer, it's your right wrist. I hope you are better left handed than I am.

Joyce, I love the story about the grands.

Allie, the Garth and Trisha concert should be great!!! I’m a huge Garth fan and enjoy them both. Saw them in concert a number of years ago, long before they were married. Have fun.

MaryGrace, sorry for what you have been through and your DH. All we have to do is look around at what others go through to see how fortunate we are. I love your quote at the end of your post. Glad you have joined us.

Sylvia, don’t you just love the “brutal honesty” of children. He is so cute! smiley-laughing025.gif

Chris, a huge CONGRATS on reaching your goal. That is so exciting!!!! Yeah you!! I’m doing a Happy Dance for you. rockon.gif I hope I get there this year.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I have to get moving after finally catching up with all the posts. I desperately need to get my nails done today and have a Moose meeting tonight. I want to get in some more exercise before I hop in the shower. The nice thing since I found you ladies is I never go anywhere alone. I always feel you are with me and especially when it’s time to eat. Thank you, my friends for being you.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    DJ- I will be cheering you on! Great idea to get up and move. I hope that works well for you.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • suelouise1
    suelouise1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lagopus: I currently live in Anchorage, but lived 40 odd years in Fairbanks. I saw the northern lights better in Fairbanks - less light pollution, I think.

I'm still trying to learn who is who on this board. :wink: I love the support and energy, though, that I'm feeling. I really think that this is the year that I can start feeling healthier and better about myself after several years of just letting everything go in favor of just surviving. Thanks, everyone, for the positive posts!

Sue, Alaska
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies
    Logging my food for 2 days shows how im eating way beyond my calories :'(
    Thanks for sharing all the workout routines..... its a great reminder Rome was not built in a day and neither are muscles!
    Katla sending you healing vibes. Stay in your yellow lamp and hope you are having the right dosage of calcium n magnesium, you had shared it with me earlier.
    Feels like coming back home
    Anamika from Mumbai.
    PS Still have to work on resolutions etc.
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for being a true blue friend! Hope alls well with you..... down to only 13,000 steps a day!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Janet ~ I saw that same segment about exercise on GMA this AM. Very interesting. I am doing a lot of stretching and lifting light weights. I try to keep it easy because I know I will be hurting if I do too much with my aching joints.

Just had 4 oz of canned tuna for lunch and now I have kitty breath! Ugh

Carol
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    All this de-cluttering talk makes me want to give an update on my de-cluttering status.

I started my de-cluttering journey last May when I finally decided to tackle the 3 rooms in my house that were so filled with boxes that I could not use the rooms. I hired an organizer and she has been a tremendous help in keeping me focused. I have completed a first pass through 2 of the rooms and am about halfway through the last room. Along the way I took time out to clean 2 kitchen cupboards that were making cooking difficult and I stopped to clear up clutter in my main living space.

This is a first pass because I have too much stuff that I was unwilling to part with when I first looked at it. The organizer helped me categorize the stuff and it is in boxes that are labeled so that when I go back for a second pass I will be able to choose what I am willing/able to face at that moment.

I suspect getting rid of stuff the second time around will be much easier because I have seen the benefits of less stuff and more room.

Anyway...

We have had a New Year's Eve party for many years now. For years I have started to clean the house a week before the party and then take the day of the party off from work so I can spend the entire day finishing the cleaning. I always end up boxing and bagging clutter because I run out of time to put it all away. I am drenched in sweat an hour before the party from working so hard and I have never had the food set out before the first guest arrives.

This year I didn't spend any time cleaning in the days before the party. The day of the party I spent 3 hours doing final shopping, picking up, vacuuming and scrubbing sinks and toilets. The rest of the day I read a book and played a computer game. I didn't break a sweat once (but I took a shower before the party anyway). I even had all the food out and was relaxing and chatting with DH when the first guest arrived. THAT my dear friends is the greatest benefit yet I have received from my 1/2 year of de-cluttering and gives me the motivation to continue to move forward and complete the job. 2016 is the year that I reclaim the main floor of the house. I might even be able to face the basement some day.

Mia in MI
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Mia ~ Good for you! :) Keep up the good work.
  • bhyatt924
    bhyatt924 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, My name is Barbi and I was just getting on Fitness Pal trying to make a new start for myself in 2016. I did well in 2015 then got off track like we all do and gained some weight back. I am trying to make a fresh start but I am going to admit I am nervous about it. Any advise you want to give me that might help? As I began to log out I saw this group for women 50+ and I thought maybe that would be a good tool for me as I believe it is easier to thrive with the help and support of others. I feel as though I am struggling lately so any advise any of you wish to give me I would be more than willing to listen.
  • bhyatt924
    bhyatt924 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You sound a lot like myself and I feel I will need to make baby steps as well. Maybe we can support each others efforts.

Barbi
  • tattytrue
    tattytrue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Easy to return to mfp in January to reset my thinking and help myself be mindful of my eating habits I love eating healthy really I do at my age it doesn't take much to put on 10-15 lbs if you sidetrack a little. My news years resolutions are going to be no potato chips or bad carbs like that, no sugar or sugar related stuff. Eat for the pre-biotic and probiotic health benefits that will repair my gut flora that I may have hurt when I was on antibiotics. I am not a big fan of weighing myself. I know when I get too fat I don't fit in my clothes well. If I follow 1300 good quality calories per day and exercise atleast 4 times per week for an hour I may even grab a flight to somewhere warm to reward myself in February . Food is my medicine it is a gift to choose great food not a punishment
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    KatherynTaylor: Your first name is almost the same as mine but I don't have an "e". I am not currently riding English but have in the past. Western riders sometimes post, too, but I avoid it when I can because I gave myself bursitis in my left knee posting and lifting my hefty self out of the saddle repeatedly for an hour. That was what gave me the determination it takes to change my eating habits to lose weight. I had no idea what to do so I googled it and found MFP & eventually his wonderful group of women. I do have my stirrups adjusted on the long side. :flowerforyou:

We have snow! That is the good news. I took the dog for a walk, slipped on ice hidden under the snow & broke my right wrist. That is the bad news. DH took me to urgent care where I got x-rays & a temporary cast. I need to go to an orthopedist tomorrow for a real cast. I'm aware of my aching wrist but it isn't horrible at this point. I hope it doesn't interfere with riding. I should be able to ride with a cast, shouldn't I? I will definitely ask the doctor and consider what he has to say. :devil:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
    Glad you've adjusted the stirrups. Sometimes it's just the stirrup placement that can throw things out of whack.

Sorry to hear about your wrist. On New Years Eve I celebrated the year anniversary of getting two pins removed from my wrist. I was bucked off my horse in Nov '14 and received three fractures, two on the Ulna at the head and one at the head of the radius. It was a huge fall. I have a plate that will stay in place for life. Guess its a good thing I'm 61, lol. If you end up needing surgery look for the best hand surgeon you can find.. it's worth it. My doc couldn't guarantee what I would be able to do, but I'm back to being able to put full weight on it for Down Dog and Plank, and full rotation back in the arm. He was thrilled to hear when I ran into him a few weeks ago. PT or OT is vital and doing the exercises at home makes a huge difference in recovery time. I hope you won't need surgery, but some docs don't prescribe OT unless pushed :)

I didn't get back on my horse until the end of May this year....harder to heal mentally than physically. I hope you heal quickly!!

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Mia - what a heart warming story! Good luck with the rest of the sorting. I find it gets addictive and you do get braver as you go along. :flowerforyou:

This afternoon I sorted my small jewellery and nail varnish drawer. Done. :D Tomorrow I will sort my "holiday" drawer. B)

This morning my Amazon parcel arrived with my head phones and container. They were HUGE! Not at all all what I was expecting. :grumble: I want them for the train journeys, so no use at all. Amazon are collecting them tomorrow! Talk about service! Then I got a refund from the supermarket for some unwanted items in my online order, but they'd missed something off so I emailed them. Instant response. Hooray! :drinker: I consider that a successful afternoon. :D

Anamika - I'm so pleased you're back. <3 Are you still running?

Chris - Fantastic that you kept your goal weight. :flowerforyou: I know you have a lot to deal with. I only watched a couple of episodes of Downton in the first series and not since. I am not keen on period drama in general, don't like Julian Fellows, the writer and find Maggy Smith doing her "shtick" very annoying. I am very much in the minority though. :laugh: Highclere, the actual house, is in Hampshire, where I live, so I would like to get over there one day. :)
    I loved War and Peace last night. Andrew Davies has such a light touch. He adapted "Pride and Prejudice ", which some of you may remember.
    Jane Austen is buried in Winchester Cathedral, by the way. I often take visitors there. Her house at Chawton isn't far from here. :love:

My duck is smelling heavenly. I rubbed it in Ras al Hanout, a Moroccan spice mix. <3

Love Heather UK
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Mia, Congratulations! That is a very positive outcome!

Katla, you jinxed me. I was going out to my car for PT this morning, and slipped on the ice. I landed on my butt, not my hands, so no serious injury, but I did pull a muscle in my lower back I think. My PT worked on minimizing the injury instead of the usual work!