WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    KatlaSo sorry about your wrist. I had a very bad broken wrist this summer requiring a plate to be inserted, so hopefully you can avoid that. I found that voice recognition software worked well for me for the first few weeks until I got into a smaller cast. Of course, I was on some pain killers so maybe it would have been better had I not tried to work during that time because some odd things were coming out of my mouth.
    Hope your visit with the doctor goes well.

1 hour of yoga class done.

Food on track.

Have a great day.

Kimses in MA
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday ! ! !

Truebluetopaz – For shoes, I like the Curves brand sold through Avon. My foot is too wide for Nike, but I have owned a few that worked for me. NewBalance comes in a wide width, so I like them, too. For clothes, I agree about pants with pockets. But I mostly work out during lunch, so I just leave everything in my desk (except phone and ear buds to listen to comedians on Pandora)

Lenora – Has your DOS’s family considered “Find My Friends” or a similar app on their cell phones? It may make her worse, or it may help her relax. When I use the app for either DS or DH, I can make sure they are in the general location that I expect, so I worry less (DS is becoming more independent, as his friends are driving now). On NYE we let DS “free” to hang out with his friends, and I could tell which bowling alley he was at, so I could guess that he was safe even if he didn’t respond to my texts.

Lunch break already (busy day today).

Hugs to Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I've called the orthopedic place repeatedly this morning & have yet to receive a call back. I'm getting grumpy about it even though I know the roads are a nightmare today. Keep your fingers crossed that I can get in today. You would think I'd get a callback by 10:00, but none so far.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts workout

Squats- 1 X5X 65/75/85/95/105/115, 5X5X 120
    Sumo squats-5X5X105
    BP-1X5X 65/70/75, 5X5X 80
    BR-5X5X 85

I am now back up to my max on all lifts. I am working on form and am planning on increasing weight 1 pound at a time this month.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    <3
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Mary wrote - "Janetr - I think I am in the same boat you are with having to lose in additional 4 to 5 lbs. I don't want to step on the scale yet. Although, if I did gain anything it is not showing up in tightfitting clothes. My clothes still fit like normal. I know that my exercising really helps in that department."

I too have no problem with my clothes being too tight, the fluid I retain is mainly in my feet and ankles. I probably need to watch my sodium intake more closely. I was on the scale the day after Christmas, weighing the dogs, I was not up then.

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Mia - that was a great victory, way to go. Thanks for sharing.

Janetr
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    My work disabled my access to mfp at the wk computer!! Boo, won't b able to post as often, not that I was a crazy poster anyway but still
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My main goal for 2016 is to reach my final goal weight.

I still do not know exactly what that goal weight is. However, I am starting this year off at 198.3 lbs. When I lose 13.3 lbs. I will have a BMI that places me in the Overweight category. That sounds really nice so that is my first goal for this year…

Become Overweight

LOL!! Once I have reached this objective I will decide if I want to lose 5 more lbs. or not and take it at 5 lbs at a time until I am satisfied that I am where I want to be.

In order to reach my main goal I will:
    Plan and log food in advance
    All changes to the above plan will be logged
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily

Mia in MI
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    MaryGrace – Welcome. You have had your share of challenges, but it’s time to start thinking about you. Something I have to keep reminding myself… Thinking about ourselves is not selfish. It enables us to be the strong women we need to be in order to help others.

Lisa – Thanks for sharing your exercise routine. My biggest challenge is finding time for exercise, so I have to carve out ½ hour at a time. I love how you are able to combine your strength training and cardio into a single full-body workout. I am working to add more strength training into my routine.

Katla – I must have skimmed past where you posted about your broken wrist. I hope it heals quickly and you are back in the saddle soon.

Allison – Great job in sticking up for yourself with Tom even in sight of his tears. My advice is to just be very clear about what you need out of this marriage. Sometimes our men need us to give them very specific instructions. You are right that a therapist could be much less expensive than a divorce. But divorce or not, we all need to be happy with ourselves before we can truly be happy with someone else (yourself and Tom included.) Stay strong my friend. (((hugs))) <3

Sylvia – LOL on the haircut story.

Mia – Yea!!! So proud of you for all the progress you have made on your de-cluttering. B)

GRITS – Is there a specific model of Fitbit you are wanting? How much do you want to pay? I would love to have the Fitbit Charge HR that Lisa uses, but I have a Jawbone UP2 that is still in good working order so I continue to use that for now. Maybe the Fitbit Charge HR will be my birthday present to myself this coming summer. Anyway, I ask because I’ve seen the Charge and Charge HR and a lot of the Fitbit Flex models advertised on our local Craig’s List site. Have you looked at Craig’s List or eBay?

Today is my day to get back on the band wagon and I have to admit that this is really hard after eating so many sweets over the holidays. I think it was Allison who said sugar is her downfall. It is definitely mine as well. But, very small success. I went down to the kitchen for lunch today – had one taco and an apple. After I was done, I really wanted something sweet and we have some sugar cookies and some brownies in the kitchen. But, I drank a glass of water and walked away. :) Now, I’m reading your posts so that I don’t focus on the fact that I still want that cookie. :( Oh, and I was able to get my butt out of bed this morning and do 30 minutes of Wii Cardio Boxing. :)

Linda/IA
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Well, darn! We were having a wonderful time at the museum. We got to see a traveling exhibit of landscape paintings from the Americas, then saw the Frank Lloyd House - which was surprisingly small and dark, with very low ceilings in some areas. Hubby is 6'2" tall and the ceiling was about 4" above his head. But it was nice and interesting. Then we walked along the Art Trail which leads o the downtown square in Bentonville. Planning to have lunch and then walk back to see the permanent collection.

We were having lunch when my son called and asked how soon we could get back. He said he has had another medical emergency and can't drive to pick up the kids. It was 1:30. We were 30 minutes from the parking lot, and it's a 90 minute drive, and the kids get out of school at 3:00. The very soonest we can get there is 3:30, but we dropped our plans and are rushing home anyway.

I asked if he was in the hospital, and he said no, that he went into respiratory arrest but the ambulance crew revived him and he refused to be transported to the hospital. He's afraid that if he goes into the hospital again that he will never get out. This is the third time the ambulance crew has come and been turned away. I don't know how many times they will do that before they say no.

So, we are doing the best we can. I will call the schools and ask them to keep the kids in the office till we get there. That's all I can do. When we left this morning he assured me that he could pick them up today. No problem. You just never know, I guess.

Later, ladies!

Sylvia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    bhyatt924 wrote: »
    Hi everybody, My name is Barbi and I was just getting on Fitness Pal trying to make a new start for myself in 2016. I did well in 2015 then got off track like we all do and gained some weight back. I am trying to make a fresh start but I am going to admit I am nervous about it. Any advise you want to give me that might help? As I began to log out I saw this group for women 50+ and I thought maybe that would be a good tool for me as I believe it is easier to thrive with the help and support of others. I feel as though I am struggling lately so any advise any of you wish to give me I would be more than willing to listen.

welcome.gif Barbi I am Barbie from NW Washington. I have been using MFP for a long time and have reached my goal weight and kept the weight off for awhile. The first thing I did was to start planning my meals for the day and posting them in my food diary without worrying about calories, carbs, fat, or anything. Once I planned and posted my meals, I stayed with the plan "no matter what"...I refused food offered to me even a "taste" of something. I used the food diary to help me decide what foods to leave out of my life because of too many calories for too little nutrition. I gradually changed what I ate. I became open minded to new ideas either from women on this thread or articles that I was will to read about nutrition and weight loss. I sought opportunities to be active so I would burn more calories I did this one day at a time and some days I found myself watching the clock waiting for the next planned meal, but I stayed with my plan. I read this thread in the morning while I eat my breakfast. Once I found a good breakfast, I decided to eat the same thing every day to save the time of deciding.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif I walk my dogs twice a day and carry a pedometer to encourage me to walk more. I bought good quality blue tooth headphones so I can listen to audio books while I walk. I bought a recumbent exercise bike that sits in the middle of my living room so I can ride, knit, and watch TV.

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Strategy is stronger than willpower.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful chilly NW Washingtont09013.gif

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

146200.png

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Katla, I am so sorry about your wrist. MLK weekend marks the two year anniversary of my break. Are you going to need surgery with a plate be pins? I couldn't even drive for about a month. I can't imagine riding with a broken wrist, but anything is possible, I guess. I had a distal radius fracture and a chipped ulna in my left wrist (right-handed). I also tore my rotator cuff and labrum, which did not even become apparent until my wrist started to heal and I couldn't move my shoulder. Prayers for quick healing for you.

Today was my 4th visit to the gym and my second exercise class. I am so weak. I'm glad I have made the decision to work on strength training. I knew I needed to do it. I don't know why it took me so long to commit. I feel better already. I did arm machines and weights on Wednesday and Saturday, Pilates (well, I flailed around while everybody else did Pilates) on Friday, and butt and lower back exercises today ( steps, squats, back machine, some other machine that is also a pull up machine, exercise ball). Today was actually my favorite. I cannot believe how high some of those women can step! One woman is a true inspiration. She has lost 80 lbs, looks fantastic, and is amazing at what she can do.
  • MaryGrace1965
    MaryGrace1965 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Taking a break from chasing the grandkids and where do I go but HERE, to my rock, my support network, my refuge in life smiley-signs101.gif :heart: :heart: :heart:

Joyce - Sorry about the wrist! I hope you get a proper cast soon and get the healing underway.

MaryGrace - You've certainly been through a lot! You'll find all kinds of support here. Can we call you MaryGrace, to distinguish you from our Mary from MN?

To all the other newbies a WARM welcome! I'm guessing you're all feeling a bit overwhelmed by the number of posts and posters. But stick with us and keep reading. You'll soon find you start to recognize our voices and personalities and learn our life histories. We're so old we have a lot of history to share. old.gif But we're also old enough to know that different people can find widely solutions to the same problem . And we're wise enough to respect other people's solutions - however boneheaded they might seem. smiley-laughing024.gif

... or to paraphrase Oscar Wilde: We're not young enough to know everything.
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif

Penny - Yes you can call me Mary Grace. I have to tell you a funny though. My name is Mary Grace and my nickname is Penny. :) True story. My mom wanted to name me Penny and my dad wanted Mary Grace. Dad won with the naming but mom still called me Penny. :smiley:

I am loving all these post. You ladies R.O.C.K.

Mary Grace
  • msymsed
    msymsed Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is very nice to find a group that is more like me. It is hard to find common ground with 25-year-olds. I wouldn't want to be 25 again anyway! :smiley: This is a very helpful way to keep me on track! I just need to survive the hectic start to the new semester!

Melanie
  • janetr7476
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    My work disabled my access to mfp at the wk computer!! Boo, won't b able to post as often, not that I was a crazy poster anyway but still

Bummer :(

Janetr okc
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Terri_Mom - I don't think the app you are talking about would help my DDnL#1 at all; she always has her butt up somebody's posts and responds to those (nearly) 1000 friends she 'supposedly' has. She will 'friend' anyone or anything, and also gets involved in those 'Go Fund Me Sites' especially if it is somewhere close. DH and I think it is 'stupid' that she spends all day Saturday and Sunday away from the house. As for my DOS, it does give him a break from her constant 'nagging' and 'bitching'. It is a weekly thing ... always gone first thing in the morning and usually does not get home until after dark. Those days she rarely calls him. Go figure ....

loxcole64 - My help for you asking for help with posting on her MFP. When I get up I try to figure out what I am going to eat and post it for the day for each meal (ahead of the end); doing this makes me aware of the meals I am going to have. I was given 5 or 6 pages worth of menus by the MD/nurse that I go to on the Medical Weight Loss Program I am on, and I adjust for the extra that I have eaten during the day. I love, love, love cheese straws and I can have .5 ounce for 70 calories to satisfy my craving and not enough cheese to upset my tummy. I have an intolerance for milk and aged cheese; but, I know my limit on both and I stop before then. I also write down the things on a pad that I eat during the day to compare the things I have posted that are different from what I actually posted. If I know ahead of time that we are going out to eat; we usually go in the middle or late afternoon; and, I know I won't be eating much before that. You can pull up menus of most popular restaurants and find the dishes that are lower in calories and usually I can find something that I think will be good. Especially, if we are going to have a drink. A lot of restaurants now post the number of calories in each dish; so that makes it easier to chose. I go prepared to figure out how many calories I still have left for the day. That's what works for me.

"HI" to all he 'newbies'.
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Linda/IA - good job on forgoing the cookie. Gold star for you. I am definitely addicted to sugar. Ugh

Janetr okc
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Heather – I try to work out three times a week, and never two days in a row. Can’t, my joints start breaking down. If I end up with a job where I have to do shorter workouts, I’ll split the weights/cardio pieces apart and go to a six-day, half-hour workout, most likely. Exercise completely different body parts each day.

Peach – after a week’s vacation of sitting in a vehicle and seeing tons of countryside, I was hurting so bad this morning when I woke up that I nearly cried. After my workout, my knees are actually working again. They’re achy, but not like they were this morning. And… I started every one of my exercises a few minutes at a time, just adding one after the other. Probably took me a year and a half to get to the level that I’m working at now… But as my DH points out when I whine about not being able to do as much or as fast as I want... it's not a race.

Linda in IA – glad you like the workout.

Syl – hope the kids are OK – and your son is as OK as he can be. Thinking about ya. Your grandson is a pistol…

I don’t post the workouts to give anyone the gyp—I’m not all that and a bag of chips… BUT I think it’s really important to remind ourselves that age really is just a number. Heather mentioned how hard she was finding it to get around until she started exercising. Now she’s a beast! (American compliment, Heather… :)) Katla rides, Barbie teaches line dancing, I think it’s DJ that line dances as well. Pip is truly a beast, rides a bike back and forth to work.

We are not done yet just because we’re 50 or 60 or 70. All you have to do is do a little more than last time. And you can start with ten steps, or a hundred, or a thousand or ten thousand. Just do one more tomorrow than you did today. You’re not competing with me, or anyone but yourself. The key is—try not to overdo to begin with. If it hurts too much, you won’t go back. The second key is—find an exercise you love. And note that your loves will change over time. I hated running with a purple passion. Felt awkward, it hurt, I just felt like an idiot. Started running on the ranch where no one could see me, just a few yards at a time. My farthest run is now five miles… you can do ANYthing if you try.

Chilling at the warehouse, writer’s group tonight, can’t wait! Have a good one, everyone…

Love y’all,
    Lisa in West Texas