Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options

I don’t post the workouts to give anyone the gyp—I’m not all that and a bag of chips… BUT I think it’s really important to remind ourselves that age really is just a number. Heather mentioned how hard she was finding it to get around until she started exercising. Now she’s a beast! (American compliment, Heather… :)) Katla rides, Barbie teaches line dancing, I think it’s DJ that line dances as well. Pip is truly a beast, rides a bike back and forth to work.

We are not done yet just because we’re 50 or 60 or 70. All you have to do is do a little more than last time. And you can start with ten steps, or a hundred, or a thousand or ten thousand. Just do one more tomorrow than you did today. You’re not competing with me, or anyone but yourself. The key is—try not to overdo to begin with. If it hurts too much, you won’t go back. The second key is—find an exercise you love. And note that your loves will change over time. I hated running with a purple passion. Felt awkward, it hurt, I just felt like an idiot. Started running on the ranch where no one could see me, just a few yards at a time. My farthest run is now five miles… you can do ANYthing if you try.

Love y’all,
    Lisa in West Texas

Wow! Well said. Karen from ny
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,751 Member
    Options
    Sylvia ... Loved the haircut story, but not loving the news about your son...

Tuna for lunch gives you kitty breath! Love it!

Katla ... Sorry to hear you broke your wrist!

MaryGrace ... Life isn't easy, is it? I think your dad named you right.

Alison ... Stick to your guns!

I am purposely wearing my too small jeans today ... Need that pinch to keep me on track!

Beth near Buffalo where it's very cold.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Beth ,so when is the snow coming to buffalo? Karen. Ny
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    OMG I am starving.... but, but instead of reaching for something bad, I grabbed a few carrots, its not great, but better than nothin...It is going to be very hard going through sugar withdrawl .. but gotta start somewhere..
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday. Well it was a very busy last two days. With DGC coming and going. But I enjoyed it and hoping they did also. Yesterday DH and I took the tree and stuff down and cleaned so things look so different. I always feel a little sad when the tree comes down. We had our first CMA meeting for the year and I was so happy not to be an officer this year. I am working 6-5:30 today. Weigh in this morning was not good. Trying not to let it get me down. It is a new week and my friend and I are planning 3 days of walking at the mall. One day at a time.

Welcome to all the new ladies. You have found a great place for support and friendship. Come often and get to know us, some of the ladies are retired and some like me still work full-time. Tell us about yourselves and what name you would like to go by.

Viv--Sorry to hear about all the flooding and the mess left to clean up. But glad to hear your house was not one of them.

Betty--I completely understand as I have all kinds of projects half done. I need to get them done or something done with them. I think I will make one of my goals for 2016 to finish or get rid of at least one project a month. Thanks,

Jane--pray your year gets better soon.

Rori--I would be interested in being your partner. What would I have to do?

Lisa--Sounds like you have some solid plans for the future. DH and I have been doing some talking but nothing for sure as we both have years before we can retire.

pip--Love the pillow covers.

I am up to top of page 7, we are growning so fast. Time to finish up somethings and get ready to go home. Type at you tomorrow.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday ! ! !

Sylvia – You can get back on that wagon, I know you can! Just don’t go too gung-ho, because this is a journey not a sprint (I don’t remember who I stole that from, but thanks !) I’m with you about weighing every day. I feel like if I miss a day, I’m out of touch with my body, so getting my weight every morning keeps me motivated. If I go up, I know I have to try harder. If I stay the same or go down, I know what I’m doing is working, so it makes me want to try harder. Plus, the “no cheating” calendar is also motivating. I got a food scale as a gift, and I had a few rude awakenings from it, so I spent most of yesterday weighing things and putting them into baggies for later. If I don’t divide by serving size, I have no control to stop eating. I hope you will kick my butt as I kick yours (just not too hard). Let’s rule 2016 ! ! !

Becca – I was thinking of you during my lunch-break-work-out. My Pandora was set on ShowTunes, so I rocked out to Annie Get Your Gun, Cats, Grease, and ___ (oops, forgot the fourth set of songs). I remember you saying you sing Opera to yourself, so I just assumed you also like show tunes. Hope you are having a great day.

Kim – I am so happy for you that you were treated as an equal this year for Christmas. You deserve that marvelous, spoiled feeling !

When I changed pages in the thread, I realized I am now 6 pages behind, so I jumped to today’s posts, and will try to catch up later. Currently I am on a yogurt/banana break, so, back at the reading and responding.

Sylvia – Hugs and Prayers ! ! ! Not that I’m an expert, but I think he needs something in writing that he wants basic lifesaving needs met but not transport. More Hugs and Prayers ! ! !

Katla – I will go back and read about your wrist, but hugs and Prayers ! ! ! I broke mine the first week of June 2014. It both seems just yesterday and decades ago. Mine was a compression fracture of my left radius (right handed). I drove myself to the Clinic with a bag of ice balancing for pain management. That was the only evening I missed DS baseball game. DH tried to help with my hair, but I ended up making a standing appointment for shampoo at the local Beauty School. He did help me dry and dress after showering (mostly he just hooked all my bras, and I never unhooked them again). If I were you I would probably miss the horse the most (but would also do my darndest to keep riding). I hope everything heals quickly.

Drkaitiebug – I’m so glad you are 4 days into your workout and still have the desire. Many people who come to the Fitness Center across the hall from me were here Friday and Saturday, but not yesterday or today. Keep trying, and taking babysteps on the weights. You have no one to impress except yourself.

My DD is trying the “raw” diet again. She is a fruit lover, so I hope she is able to love more vegetables also. I do worry that at 25 she should be getting more protein, but I need to walk on egg shells about her weight and food choices, so I’ll be taking babysteps attempting to talk to her about it. I can probably find some good magazines to send her, too. But the town where she lives does NOT have good competitive grocery prices, so I also worry that she will give up very soon (I hope I’m wrong about this).

Well, my day is almost over at work, and I’m still not even close to caught-up on my reading. Today after work I have to deposit my Avon checks, and drop off the final batch of Red Hats for Little Hearts project at the local Hospital. Then, home to have a great big salad and probably some baked cod.

If I missed you again today, know that I appreciate everyone here. :) Thanks for being my friend and support.

Hugs to Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Pip-I have been calling you all peeps since forever girl.....do we have to get out our thumbs and thumb-wrestle for the patient rights on this!!?!! :-) hahahaha.....love ya meee siiiista from another miiiista..
    Becca
    Being cheeky in Oregon
  • Noorah101
    Noorah101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, newbie here. I turned 56 on December 19, 2015 and decided to take control of things. 2015 was a really bad year (emotionally and stress-wise), so I need to take care of myself in 2016. Being more aware of my diet, exercise and overall health is one way I can feel in control of things again. I am overweight and have been for a long time, but I am trying to take steps now to reduce. I re-joined the gym, I am now logging my food and exercise on Myfitnesspal. I have some very fun hobbies...I'm learning to figure skate (going on 6 years now), learning to play the electric guitar (just over a year), and I want to get back in to pencil drawing. I work full time but have my evenings and weekends free, I just need to stay away from unhealthy foods during my down time, and use that time on self-improvement. It's nice to see a community here for 50+ women. Thank you for creating this.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Had my alcohol free day today. Go me! o:)

Yes, Lisa, I was very compromised in my mobility. I have tracking problems with my knees, especially the left one and severe pronation in my feet. I also have adhesions in the right ankle from several bad sprains. My weight and inertia were making me a shuffling wreck. I was out of breath just walking on the flat. Even getting in and out of the car was a struggle - i had to lift my left knee in, my leg had lost all its strength. But I'm ashamed to say that it wasn't until my largest clothes didn't fit me any more that I decided to do something about it. I hated having nothing to wear and looking fat and frumpy. Vanity was the prompt, fitness was a bi product as I always hated exercise apart from swimming and dancing. Gyms used to really turn me off - hated getting sweaty! :noway:

Of course it didn't help that in 2007 I got breast cancer and had all the chemo etc, but I allowed that to be my excuse for far too long. I am so glad I found mfp after a few months of doing it on my own and even more glad I found this group. <3 It took me 18 months to lose 57 lbs, with the last bit being much the slowest and hardest. I just stuck to the guidelines as provided, eating my exercise calories back, weighing everything, counting everything. It obviously worked.

By the way, those who don't know me - I am 66.

Love Heather UK
    27681614.png
  • Annr
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Terri in Milwaukee[ - Well, I listen to Luciano Pavarotti and Andrea Bocelli, plus have a handful of Italian arias in my brain. (Of course I don't understand what I am singing, it could be a shopping list for all I know, but I know the gist of it). My mother LOVED Petula Clark and Barbara Streisand, so I grew up knowing "People" and "Downtown". Its great turn up the volume on the hi-fi and clean the house music!!
    Becca
    vocalizing in Oregon
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    New PJs today, new Tae Kwon Do uniforms for Christmas
    cqqhade4n47s.jpg
    j7w75gto1yj4.jpg
    p3l4sghj27wx.jpg
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Lisa Totally agree about not letting age define you. Since I started on MFP, I have amazed myself at what I can achieve especially if I am involved in a challenge.

Barbie I'm a great believer in pre-logging meals, and setting daily goals. The pre-logging helps to monitor your carbs/fat/protein ratios and whether or not you are getting your micros.

Sylvia You are such a rock for those kids.

Katla Sorry to hear about your wrist. I hope it heals quickly and cleanly.

Mia I have been working on decluttering for over a year now. It's very liberating to discard the things you don't need. I have several bags of big girl clothes ready to go to the charity shop as we speak. I won't need those again. I now have what I can only describe as a 'capsule wardrobe'. I am restocking from my local thrift shop until I reach my final goal later this year, then I will really go to town on summer clothes.

I did put on a few lbs in December, but they are already melting away. I am renewing my efforts to reach my goal for my birthday in April.

All my activities are restarting after the Christmas break, so I am having to read backwards from the last page. I will try and catch up but please excuse me if I don't manage it.

I can barely stay awake so am off to bed. Night! Night! All!

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

[img]http://www.freesmileys.org/custom/image/grey%5E_%5Egeorgia%5E_%5E3%5E_%5E5%5E_%5EWelcome! Newbies!%5E_%5E.gif[/img]

:star: Let your light shine out in the darkness :star:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

80464089.png

:star::)smiley-happy110.gif:):star:

Irish Terri harp.gif
  • Annr
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Took one of the cushions from the couch to sleep on. Felt better, but its definitely weird to sleep so upright! Didn't have an "coughing fits" You remember those, where you almost choke and pee at the same time!! What is up with that....??? My world stops and waits for me to continue on...which I do, but Lordy!!!

Last night I cooked a roast, so huge that my large Cornet container lid couldn't fit until I was a couple of hours into the cooking process. It was a roast with the two strings keeping it all together. I covered it in spices and Italian bread crumbs, then browned it in a bit of olive oil. Then I put it in the container with 6 potatoes, 1/2 a large onion, and lots of carrots. I poured 4 cups of beef broth over it all and in a 375 oven for eons (it seemed, but really only 3 hrs). My husband and son loved it! I don't have to cook tonight.

I am not concentrating on logging just on getting past this cold. I did take a long shower, (ache in my chest loved that), and washed my hair with some new products. I splurged and bought Dove shampoo, with a great conditioner (said it was for aging hair!!!), then a Dove body wash. After my long shower, I dried off, got my peppermint tea and stepped into a very hot bath. Yep, I was the water waster last night I admit it:-) Had a nice chat with my teenage son as he was getting ready for bed. I picked up the buff Puff sponge saying, "This is bone dry son, do you EVEN use this??? He said, mostly. I told him straight up that we buy him products he NEEDS to USE them.... I had bought a large container of Stridex pads and said 2 pads TWICE a day buster. I admitted that I have a hard time letting go and realizing he is 17, (for which he said he does too sometimes). I said that I will TRY to not baby him, but he needs to step it up. He agreed. He is my last son, and I am resisting giving him to the Navy just yet!

Becca
    Fierce Momma bear in Oregon
  • SuzanneVarnes
    SuzanneVarnes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello! So glad to have found this thread. I'm a true newbie here--joined bright and early this morning. I am stepping out here and posting a monthly goal... just one... dipping my toe into all this as it were...
    Goal for January:
    Track food daily

Suzanne, Florida
  • Annr
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Welcome Suzanne from Florida. *hands you a truckload of material to read" heehee... We are a talkative bunch, well I am and a zillion others, but you will find support here, for what every journey you are on.

For all the newbies that have started since the new year, some wise words from other people I can't remember....

THE KEY TO HAPPINESS ISN'T LOSING WEIGHT........HAPPINESS IS THE KEY TO LOSING WEIGHT.

THE MOST IMPORTANT KEY TO FOOD PREPARATION IS YOUR MOOD.

THE POINT OF LIFE ISN'T LIVING IT PERFECT, ITS LIVING IT WHOLE.

Ok...ok.....that is enough to get you started. I have index cards and I shuffle thru great sayings while there is commercial on, or my husband is talking...(no not really)... I need to reprogram my brain, and visual aids is a great way to start is my thinking!

Becca

• Annr
    Options
    Great pics Miriam!!! They look like they both could officially kick my butt!!
    Becca
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, just read the posts on here. I look forward to reading them and enjoy your company.

Last night I went out for an hours walk and tonight my husband came with me, we were out for 90 minutes and we both really enjoyed it. We have talked more tonight just by being outside and looking at different locations. My husband loves local history and tonight he has wanted to see certain old properties so that he could do some research on his computer when we came home. I am trying to get out more to do more walking or go on my cross trainer, hopefully I will lose some weight.

Wishing everyone well.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • PMATLANTA
    PMATLANTA Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies! I just started MFP and happily found this group. I am still learning all the ins and outs of MFP so I am not sure whether I just post or be added to the group in some way. I find myself checking parts of the site from one link to another, only to sometimes not being sure how to get back to a particular section because I wandered so much.

As far as me, I am married living in Metro Atlanta. I am self-employed as a Realtor and have slowed down my business to a more practical and enjoyable pace. I have dieted most of my life on and off and wonder even now, at this ripe old age, when is it going to stop. Weight Watchers so many times, Nutrisystem once (ions ago), cabbage soup diet, Mediterranean diet, and so on and so on. I've tried most of them. God bless my husband, he can eat anything and although somewhat sympathetic, he loves me any size, so he wants me to enjoy our food as much as he does. He thinks about food constantly always asking me when we are eating breakfast, what do I want to eat for the next day's breakfast, as well as dinner. Are you kidding me? I haven't even finished this meal! LOL. If I thought about food as much as he does, I wouldn't be able to move. Oh, to only have his metabolism!

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know everyone while we take this journey together. My 2016 goals are to finally eliminate this weight once and for all, keep at it consistently and persistently, and be mindful each and every day of the blessings in my life. Happy New Year ladies!

Pat
    Atlanta