Dry January Challenge, roll up and join in!

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Day 3 here done as well, OH is sick of making me cups of tea though lol :D
  • Rosy67
    Rosy67 Posts: 294 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Day 4 done. Surprised how little I'm missing it. I usually have a glass of wine with my friend on Tuesdays after choir and I'm mentally practising 'Not for me thanks- i'm not drinking in January' before tomorrow ;)
  • treebek
    treebek Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I started no booze january on the 1st so I'll join the challenge.

I really want to see if abstaining improves my weight loss progress. Plus I just feel like it :smile:
  • Dolcedia
    Dolcedia Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Day 4
    Well....so far, so good. The weight is coming off, but it really needs to! Trying to make healthier choices along the way. We are even more careful about where we buy our fruits and veggies. Really feeling my age today, but probably because we kicked up the exercise. Hope you all are having a happy new year and are drinking lots of water!
  • julsmarshall
    julsmarshall Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hanging in here, trying some new sparkling waters and happy with those so far . . . have a great day everyone!
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    I'll see. I need motivation too. Add me for motivation
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Welcome :)

Day 4 here and I'm having a few nettle teas tonight, might have a peppermint one as well
  • krazykarenn
    krazykarenn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just found this. I'm also quitting alcohol for the month to save calories and love the idea of like minded people for support! My plan is to stick with soda water with lime when I go out(yes I actually like it) what is everyone else planning on drinking?
  • calbadger
    calbadger Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It's Jan. 5, but I had already decided to stop on Jan. 4, so I'd like to be included. My wife and I usually drink several glasses of wine at night. We are both (along with our kids) fairly decent cooks, but its easier to make a tasty healthy meal than it is to avoid the ill effects of alcohol.

My weight has increased over the holidays. I know that in the past, I lose more weight when I give up drinking. I'm at a point in my life where I really want/need to make a change and eliminating alcohol is one of the best ways to do so.

Also, I just want to give my body a break. The alcohol hits my dopamine receptors, which then lowers my serotonin. It would be nice to sleep better, which would also help with weight loss.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi all, I'd like to join too! I started on the first and already feel much better. I'm a pretty heavy drinker and was having wine nightly. Some nights I'd stop at 2-3 glasses and others I'd polish off a bottle or two of wine (depending on if I had to work the next day).

I've noticed a lot over the past 6 months or so that it negatively affects my mood (I feel anxious and down after a night of heavy drinking), my wallet, my weight and my workouts. Not worth it anymore. I really want to get to a place where I can trust myself to moderate, but for now it's easier to cut it out all together. Anyway, glad to have found this thread!
  • jesha00
    jesha00 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I planned on doing a dry January already and have been AF since 1/2/16. I did have a couple of triggers today already but let them go. I figured if I could find a thread here maybe it would help get me through the month. I drink fairly heavily and have for the last 4.5 years. I used to hold steady in the mid 130's prior to that and since I have been drinking I've gained 15lbs. I'd like to see if I lose any weight in 30 days if I cut out alcohol. At that point, I'll decide if I can or want to go another 30 :)
  • mef1107
    mef1107 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Jan 5, just found this thread. I'm in. Actually started yesterday of abstaining from Alcohol. Now maybe the weight will come off.
  • meeganbrett
    meeganbrett Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started on the 2nd. Will go 31 days!! Did this last year and the weight came off and I felt great. Cheers!!
  • sphynxcatlb
    sphynxcatlb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started on 1/1/16 so hopefully will get through the month!
  • khen1013
    khen1013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just had a few beers after a pretty bad day so this challenge couldn't come at a better time! Thanks to everyone for motivating me.
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I had my last bevvie on Sunday - planning on no alcohol until my vacation in February. I drank way too much during the holidays!
  • ekfulton
    ekfulton Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am in as well! I know I need to tap the brakes on my wine consumption to lose weight. Been clean for 2 days!
  • Byerley79
    Byerley79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in since 1/3...trying to reduce sugar intake as well.
  • calbadger
    calbadger Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Well, made it through my second day. Granted losing 4 lbs the first day and 2.5 the second helped. Granted I have had almost no carbs, though still ate well and worked out hard both days. Don't expect the weight loss to keep coming like this, but I have to admit, it's a great starting motivator.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2016/jan/05/alcohol-abstain-dryathlon-dry-january-health-science-spoof

Welcome to all the new comers :)

Day 5 for me, drinking tropical zero cal pop and nettle tea. Read an article that gave me a laugh, here is the link.