Dry January Challenge, roll up and join in!

Options

Replies

• calbadger
    calbadger Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I did have several glasses of wine last night, though nothing excessive. I talked with my therapist and we discussed making smaller lasting changes, rather than absolutes which then fail. That makes some sense, but I have to admit that I wish I hadn't had any last night. I feel a bit sluggish and thick-headed today. Even if I do have some on days, I want to remember just how I feel today to encourage me to have fewer, or perhaps working down to none.

On the plus side, I am down another 1.5 pounds, so that makes 8 since Monday.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Nice weight loss @calbadger :)

Less alcohol is better than an all out binge. Keep working at it :)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    @calbadger congrats on your weight loss. I totally agree about thinking how I feel when I've had too many glasses but when I begin to feel better and back to normal then I go right back to it ! LOL! but this weight gain has made me stop completely!
  • Rosy67
    Rosy67 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    New safe alcohol limits for the UK announced today by the chief medical officer- and they've reduced the limit for men to 14 units, the same as women (=1.5 bottles of wine per week). I have to admit to feeling smug for once, since I'm on the wagon, as opposed to way over the safe limit for women, men and elephants combined. It almost makes riding out the cravings worth it....
  • loveyhowellthethird
    Options
    Count me in! Dry since Jan 1, swung enough from the grapevines over Christmas. Alcohol does not control me, I control it, now to get another 20lbs off!
  • meeganbrett
    meeganbrett Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Want red wine. Bad. Lol. Fridays are a trigger for me too.
  • fannings
    fannings Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a week late but I'm in!
  • dbanks80
    Options
    I did so well. Hubby and I went to dinner I did not have any alcohol!! Hubby had 3 long island ice teas and desert. I drank my water and stuck to my entrée! I have to admit the temptation was strong and I was getting annoyed at my husband for ordering 2 more drinks! I wanted to eat and leave. We like to sit around drink and talk. But I drank my water and had a great time.

I can do this!
  • Rosy67
    Rosy67 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Want red wine. Bad. Lol. Fridays are a trigger for me too.
    I'm with you- the white wine version! Its the end of the working week, my brain says 'You deserve a treat'. The fact that the treat kills off my brain cells, gives me fatty liver and insulin resistance and increases my chance of developing dementia as well as liver, throat, mouth and breast cancer.... I can only assume the brain cells responsible for rational thought are the first to go!
  • charli3anne
    charli3anne Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Still going on day 9. Much easier sticking to my daily calorie limit, sleeping better and actually not really missing it. Working this weekend and have to do on call so can't drink anyway in case I have to drive.

Not weighing myself until the end of the month (although desperate to see if the scale is moving!)
  • mrsmuckster
    mrsmuckster Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Made it first week even with some temptations. We ate at our favorite Italian restaurant Thursday night and I didn't have my usual wine, dessert or bread. Had a birthday party for my daughter last night and didn't have the wine (did have the dessert though). I have a memorial service today and there will be wine/beer. I am determined not to have any.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    Made it first week even with some temptations. We ate at our favorite Italian restaurant Thursday night and I didn't have my usual wine, dessert or bread. Had a birthday party for my daughter last night and didn't have the wine (did have the dessert though). I have a memorial service today and there will be wine/beer. I am determined not to have any.

Good for you!!!

This is a great challenge reading everyone's posts making me strong. My husband had 3 long island ice teas and I was so tempted to get wine I stayed strong though and fought the good fight!! LOL!

• Benny3B
    Benny3B Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Had a couple of whiskey cocktails Monday night 1/4 with a buddy, but I'll keep on it for the rest of the month. Good luck all.
  • Ornaxox
    Ornaxox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Day 8 here and I must admit I'm really missing having a drink tonight. Bought some sparkling apple juice which is high in calories but I'll just have 1 glass.

Welcome @Ornaxox @Benny3B @fannings @Loveyhowell1064 :)

Well done @dbanks80 & @mrsmuckster . Going out is a tough one to get through and you passed with flying colours o:)
  • Dolcedia
    Dolcedia Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hope your weekend goes well, RuNdAfIeLd!
  • Dolcedia
    Dolcedia Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oops. RuNaRoUnDaFiElD
  • dbanks80
    Options
    Day 8 here and I must admit I'm really missing having a drink tonight. Bought some sparkling apple juice which is high in calories but I'll just have 1 glass.

Welcome @Ornaxox @Benny3B @fannings @Loveyhowell1064 :)

Well done @dbanks80 & @mrsmuckster . Going out is a tough one to get through and you passed with flying colours o:)

Good for you!!!
  • JSunflower1217
    JSunflower1217 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in as of the 7th