my family keeps saying I'm underweight, am I?

Options
my mother confronted me that her and my father are afraid I've lost too much weight. I have always been very heavy, was 220, now I'm 135 and 5'2". I am 24, small frame hourglass, my thumb and middle finger wrap around my wrist with a little overlap. I can't see my ribs or anything, I do have defined collar bone that makes me look thinner than I am. How can I determine if I'm to thin, or how can I show my family they just are not used to seeing me thin and I am healthy now.

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You are not underweight!

I am the same weight but I'm 5ft 9" and I'm not underweight, nor do I look it!

I guess your parents can't get away from what you looked like when you were heavier so in comparison think you're underweight.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Could try pointing at BMI, or take them to a doctor.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and used to weigh 117. I was still at a healthy BMI. I plan to get to 115-120 again this year. Check your BMI.
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    No way. I think people just get used to seeing you at a higher weight so they feel you don't look right. It may take some time for them to get used to the "new you". Of course my husband's family always thinks I look too thin when I think I look fine. I know I am healthy.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Are your family overweight? They may just have skewed perceptions because of being used to seeing you overweight.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    No, you're not.
  • fatnomore7293
    fatnomore7293 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would say definitely not underweight! I am 5'2" also, and you are the weight that I want to be! I have a ways to go, but I'm on my way there! According to the "charts" with my height and frame, I should weigh like 125 #'s. I think you did an awesome job! You go girl!!! :smile:
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    my mother confronted me that her and my father are afraid I've lost too much weight. I have always been very heavy, was 220, now I'm 135 and 5'2". I am 24, small frame hourglass, my thumb and middle finger wrap around my wrist with a little overlap. I can't see my ribs or anything, I do have defined collar bone that makes me look thinner than I am. How can I determine if I'm to thin, or how can I show my family they just are not used to seeing me thin and I am healthy now.

Your mother is just concerend because she hasnt seen you at a healthy weight. I am 5'2 and 143. I can also wrap my fingers around my wrist with a little left over. I have been at a healthy weight from 110-135 in my life. My Goal is 125 a size 4 and to get the 36/24/38 measurements back I had in college.

My family however gave me a talking to that I was fat when I hit 155. You are fine.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    No you aren't. I am 5'1", and my goal is to be between 120 - 130.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on the huge weightloss! Secondly, you're in the correct weight for your size. Politely explain to your parents that although you've lost a lot of weight your main focus is to be healthy, and that your current weight is still within the doctor recommended weight for your height. That you appreciate their concern, but that you're paying attention to all aspects of your body.

Good luck!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    People get worried sometimes. It's a shock to them to see you look so different, and/or maybe they're worried that losing a lot of weight in a short(ish) amount of time is unhealthy. Your height/weight ratio doesn't suggest that you're underweight at all, and you certainly don't look it.

Good luck with your parents though.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Just looking at the numbers, no you're not but the above posters could be right and your family is just used to seeing you one way. Are they overweight? Sometimes people who are overweight think that those who have lost weight or who are thinner are too thin. And your fingers overlapping doesn't say much except maybe bone structure a bit- small wrist, long fingers... any number of things. Mine overlap and I'm smack in the middle of my healthy BMI with quite a few pounds to go before I'm considered underweight at 5 ft 6in
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone is saying. You are not underweight. You look healthy and quite fabulous!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    they are probably just not used to seeing you that size. My daughter can wrap her fingers around my wrist and touch fingers. I just have tiny wrists.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    no
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    Could it be that they find it hard that you lost all that weight the right away and are afraid that you have an ED? I had a friend that lost over 50lbs just by eating right and her parents confronted her about this. Said it was not possible for someone to drop that much weight without having a ED. :mad:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    be like "you jelly?"
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options

They're used to seeing you heavy that's all. You are not too thin.

At 24 years old, I should think you are old enough to know what you are doing, why are they interferring.......
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You're not medically underweight. I'm 5ft 2 and 124lbs and I'm not underweight - I'm almost slap bang in the middle if the healthy BMI range, so you're not underweight.
    My family were saying to me a lot "make sure you don't lose too much" and my MIL saw me one day and said "you're wasting away".
    I think part of it is that they haven't seen you like this for a long time, possibly ever, and they aren't used to it. You said you weighed over 200lbs so losing so much to get down to 135 is a heck of a lot of weight. Kudos by the way!! They are just getting used to your new look and may be slightly worried that you'll take it the stage where you are underweight.
    Give them some reassurance and show them a BMI chart and it should allay their fears.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

PS: i can overhead press you.