my family keeps saying I'm underweight, am I?

Options

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    According to the numbers, you're not underweight.

I'm also 5'3, though much heavier. Back when I was your current weight, my mom used to tell me I was "too fat" and needed to lose weight. Flash forward abt 10 yrs and I was struggling to get down to 145 and my mom started telling me I was losing too much weight and I needed to stop.

Mom's are moms. They worry about everything. You sound like you have a good handle on what's healthy and what's not... just keep doing what you know is right.

ETA: DID NOT EVEN SEE how much you started off at!!!! GREAT JOB!!!!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You are not underweight.
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    You're good. I'm 5'2 (on a good day) and weight 132. I'm still overweight for my liking and comfort. At our height, "underweight" is under 108, I think. But how do YOU feel? I understand their concern but this is your body. You're probably anywhere from a size 4 to an 8 depending on clothing brand, cut and style, right? That is NOT underweight.

Congrats on the weight loss!

:drinker:
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and float between 120 and 125 with a loose goal of 115. Check your BMI, your body fat, talk to your doctor and find what feels good for you.

My family told me I looked guant at 150 and i had visble collar bones at 200 pounds. They were worried because it had been so long since they'd seen me at such a low weight. They were used to the bigger me. It took they some time to be comfortable with. Given your family time to get used to the new you and focus on healthy rather than weightloss!

And CONGRATS!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    my mother confronted me that her and my father are afraid I've lost too much weight. I have always been very heavy, was 220, now I'm 135 and 5'2". I am 24, small frame hourglass, my thumb and middle finger wrap around my wrist with a little overlap. I can't see my ribs or anything, I do have defined collar bone that makes me look thinner than I am. How can I determine if I'm to thin, or how can I show my family they just are not used to seeing me thin and I am healthy now.
    Nope. I'm 5'3" and at my goal weight of 109 pounds. I'm 42. You're actually a little overweight! :)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    my mother confronted me that her and my father are afraid I've lost too much weight. I have always been very heavy, was 220, now I'm 135 and 5'2". I am 24, small frame hourglass, my thumb and middle finger wrap around my wrist with a little overlap. I can't see my ribs or anything, I do have defined collar bone that makes me look thinner than I am. How can I determine if I'm to thin, or how can I show my family they just are not used to seeing me thin and I am healthy now.

You are not even close to being underweight! Educate your family by showing them some BMI charts!
  • meadowsmummy
    meadowsmummy Posts: 108
    Options
    For the record i am 90 pounds away from my first goal weight and i can touch my thumb and middle finger (and thumb and pinky finger around my wrist) thats not a sign you are under weight.

Congrats on your success
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    You're not underweight. And I understand 100%. I get comments from family and friends sometimes too. "you're wasting away", "if you lose anymore you'll be anorexic", "you're getting too skinny", etc. I kind of have a thin face I think, and that doesn't help. But I have plenty of fat elsewhere :wink: I tell people "don't worry, I have a healthy amount of body fat"
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yur BMI is 24.7 and you a r e normal weight
  • kookanddra
    kookanddra Posts: 92
    Options
    First off, congrats on the huge weightloss! Secondly, you're in the correct weight for your size. Politely explain to your parents that although you've lost a lot of weight your main focus is to be healthy, and that your current weight is still within the doctor recommended weight for your height. That you appreciate their concern, but that you're paying attention to all aspects of your body.

Good luck!

This!!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm 5'3" and at my goal weight of 109 pounds. I'm 42. You're actually a little overweight! :)

FALSE! She is not overweight!

135 pounds at 5'2 gives her a BMI of 24.7 which is in the normal healthy range:
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    Yeah what everybody else said....just not used to you being so small that's all....
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and around 129-133 pounds. And I'm trying to loose the last 2 inches and become more toned.

So I would say you are at a normal weight.
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    NO, you are perfectly fine and healthy weight.
    Don't worry so much about what others say, listen to your body.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You are the same height I am. Your mother is worrying too much. You are a healthy weight. I actually started out at 135. She's probably just surprised to see that you've lost so much weight.

EDIT: A month or so back, my mom thought I lost too much weight, too. I told her that I still weigh more than I did when I graduated from high school.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

I can see you didn't mean this in a negative way, but really..... WHY would you tell someone on a weight loss site that they're overweight

(especially when they're not)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    5'2" and 134? Absolutely not.

I'm 5'2" and 100. When I was young I was 90, and even a little under during an experiment with vegetarianism. I was always healthy.

It's said that many people no longer can recognize what a healthy weight is. Your parents may be in that group.
  • got2swim
    got2swim Posts: 2
    Options
    Presure from your family to return to a heavier weight can be significant. Stand firm. Don't let them make you stressed and uncomfortable at your new weight. It may take a very long time before they can adjust. Stay strong and be the healthy weight you need to be to live a nice long life.
  • Quilled
    Quilled Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For the record i am 90 pounds away from my first goal weight and i can touch my thumb and middle finger (and thumb and pinky finger around my wrist) thats not a sign you are under weight.

Congrats on your success

The wrapping fingers around wrist is considered a way to measure your frame size, not whether or not you need to lose weight.

However, wrapping your fingers around is also not a good indicator of frame size as wrist sizes do not always correlate properly with actual frame size. Its better to measure your elbow width and your wrist and calculate from there. I can easily wrap my fingers around with a little overlap, but I can tell you I am not small framed, my sister is 4" taller than me and her wrist is TINY, had a friend same height as me and she was small framed, I could easily see the difference in us and our bone structure.

Ask your parents what weight they think you are. I carry weight very well apparently, as the majority of the time when I ask people what they think I weigh they estimate about 20lbs below what I actually weigh. When I tell them my actual weight, no one believes it, had to stand on a scale more times than I can count just to prove it. After they guess your weight, tell them your real weight, and maybe stand on a scale to prove it. Show them a BMI chart so they can see that you are perfectly fine.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm 5'3" and at my goal weight of 109 pounds. I'm 42. You might actually be a little overweight! :)