my family keeps saying I'm underweight, am I?

Options

Replies

• gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    You are not underweight it's probably cause your parents are used to seeing you at a bigger size.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    no your not. that is like the perfect weight for your age and height. your friends and family are just jealous lol
    congrats on the weight loss btw.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! No, you are not underweight. My wife is 5'3" and 115 (don't tell her I posted this or she will kill me) and looks great. Agree with the folks above about showing them BMI tables or other references to healthy weight relative to height.

One tip. If you are still talking about losing weight it may be time to stop talking about it. As I have approached my target weight I started to get a lot of people criticizing my desire to lose more. I have done a DEXA scan so I know exactly where my body fat is and where I would like it to be. The math is easy to determine target weight for optimal health. At 6'2" and 205 lbs I find it funny when someone tells me I am too thin. It typically seems to be a defensive mechanism for them and I have learned to be more sensitive to their feelings. Just an observation from my experiences.

Best of luck!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    if you are eating right and treating your body properly and weigh what you weigh, you aren't too thin.
    I am 5'6" and 125, my family sometimes says I'm getting too thin also but it's because they got used to me being bigger. Do what makes you happy and do it in a healthy way and you are fine, regardless of your weight.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    my mother confronted me that her and my father are afraid I've lost too much weight. I have always been very heavy, was 220, now I'm 135 and 5'2". I am 24, small frame hourglass, my thumb and middle finger wrap around my wrist with a little overlap. I can't see my ribs or anything, I do have defined collar bone that makes me look thinner than I am. How can I determine if I'm to thin, or how can I show my family they just are not used to seeing me thin and I am healthy now.
    Nope. I'm 5'3" and at my goal weight of 109 pounds. I'm 42. You're actually a little overweight! :)
    she really might not be overweight, bmi is not supposed to be applied on an individual level. That's why I don't worry about it one way or another, I want to lose 10 pounds and that will put me at the very bottom of the bmi range but I have a small frame and I know that I wouldn't be underweight. In the same way, many people just above the healthy range are likely completely fine.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    hell no you look great...

your parents are, with all due respect, idiots!
  • kookanddra
    kookanddra Posts: 92
    Options
    my mother confronted me that her and my father are afraid I've lost too much weight. I have always been very heavy, was 220, now I'm 135 and 5'2". I am 24, small frame hourglass, my thumb and middle finger wrap around my wrist with a little overlap. I can't see my ribs or anything, I do have defined collar bone that makes me look thinner than I am. How can I determine if I'm to thin, or how can I show my family they just are not used to seeing me thin and I am healthy now.
    Nope. I'm 5'3" and at my goal weight of 109 pounds. I'm 42. You're actually a little overweight! :)

Overweight?? WTH!!!! :noway:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

you seem nice.
  • Quilled
    Quilled Posts: 69 Member
    Options

I can see you didn't mean this in a negative way, but really..... WHY would you tell someone on a weight loss site that they're overweight

(especially when they're not)

Actually, if you are going by the BMI calc and talking about frame sizes (like the OP is). Then she is 'slightly' overweight according the methods she is using, thats assuming she truly has a small frame though I believe she more than likely is average. But BMI, frame sizes etc are all kind of loose and sometimes inaccurate measurements especially when muscle weight is involved.

As for calling someone overweight, overweight is the medical classification and technical term, its perfectly acceptable to say especially on a site like this were we all should be facing reality, which is that some of us are overweight and some of us are obese and some of us are underweight.

OP, I would just keep doing what you are doing, the closer you are to your goal the less noticeable to the weight loss becomes. I think your family is just worried because it is a good amount of weight that you lost (congrats). My family did the same to me, and still does some days, they still constantly ask if I 'lost more weight and I need to stop soon'. Yes, my family is overweight, I do believe their views to be skewed and therefore I continue to steadily lose weight
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Sounds like a perfect height/weight ratio!!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and was 113 a couple years ago -- trying to get back to that point; I definitely wasn't underweight at all, probably could have lost another 5 pounds and still been okay.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You could look up some BMI calculators online, if they will consider those evidence (some people don't). I would say your weight for a small frame of your size is over weight. You should be below 120lbs but about 110lbs, depending on what you want to look like. A doctor could tell you if you are good or not.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You look to be right on the money from what I can tell. You could gain or lose a few either way and you'll still be in a nice place, so you don't have anything to worry about.
  • emmagiffard5
    emmagiffard5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had this problem about 5 years ago I lost about 5 stone (70lbs) and everyone thought I was on diet pills or something and began telling me I was too thin, don't listen you are a healthy weight and maybe they just can't get used to the new you? Who knows just show them your BMI chart and tell them you are happy so they should be too! Well done by the way you have done fantastic and they should be proud of you! xxx
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    5'2" and 134? Absolutely not.

I'm 5'2" and 100. When I was young I was 90, and even a little under during an experiment with vegetarianism. I was always healthy.

It's said that many people no longer can recognize what a healthy weight is. Your parents may be in that group.

Says you, who is actually underweight by BMI standards at 18.3 :) It works both ways.
  • Inkybit
    Inkybit Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I told them they are just not used to healthy me, I'm at the top of the recommended weight range for my height and build. everyone in my family struggles with weight. mom got too thin years ago and I told her to see a nutritionist.... she keeps using that against me. I'm not even dieting anymore. what weight I've lost recently is my body adjusting on its own.

I'm dealing with some post weightloss depression, I stopped eating (I know terrible) stress kept making me sick, but I kept takingcare of me. I know that made them worry. dealing with the loss of a family member has added to it, but I'm not fainting, I'm just super picky on food right now but I'm still eating 6-7 times a day.

I'm not about too put on 10lbs to appease others, I suppose I'm shocked at t
    the nagging I get now...I thought being heavy it was bad...
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    For the record i am 90 pounds away from my first goal weight and i can touch my thumb and middle finger (and thumb and pinky finger around my wrist) thats not a sign you are under weight.

Congrats on your success

Same here!

Way to go on getting healthy & losing weight! You are NOT underweight. Is it possible you appear thinner than your actual weight due to having more lean muscle than compared to other women at the same height and weight with less lean muscle and more fat? This could be the case if you lost the weight through diet, eexercise & strength training. Since muscle is much more dense than fat, it takes up much less space - I look much thinner when I'm toned than I do at the same weight when I'm not toned. Do your parents have weight issues themselves? Unfortunately, misery loves company and I have had close family members try to sabotage my weight loss when I've lost weight or try to put me down when I'm at a heathly weight because they are uncomfortable with themselves.

Like other people said, show them where you fall on a BMI chart. If your parents continue insisting you are underweight, and you feel it has more to do with their issues than yours, end the conversation by saying "I have to go" then walk away or hang up. Eventually they will realize your boundaries and keep their incorrect opinions to themselves.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm lighter then you and I'm 5'8. You are not underweight.
  • Inkybit
    Inkybit Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    it's also taken me 3 years too get to this point.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Well if the pic of you in the black dress are how you look today, then I don't see you as too thin. I would just assume that you're family has seen you overweight for so long, that it's going to take some time for them to get used to the new you.

I wouldn't go any further down though because you look great!