"When Food Guilt is Ruining Your Life"

Options
13»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanks for reposting the pic @Orphia - I was wondering!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    There is a (different) type of food guilt found with those who were raised in a "less than enough" environment and were taught never to waste anything. Like myself. It's sinful to discard foods.

Later in life in a more abundant environment we basically become a food garbage disposer.

I'm working to change that behavior. If the milk is approaching its expiration date while still half a carton full, screw it I'm not gonna overload my body with it. It will go to the trash bin. The six jars of spaghetti bought a while ago from a sale or in moment of weakness will go to the trash when their shelf life is over.

Ya, I heard the "clean plate club" nonsense when I was growing up. That was fine when I was young, active, and the portions were reasonable, but sure doesn't work for the average entree at an American restaurant. So now I just plan to bring half home, and when I'm not going straight home order accordingly.

FYI, "Best By" dates are not expiration/food safety dates. I find this site really helpful http://www.stilltasty.com
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I used to think like that, and I developed bulimia that lasted for a year. I used to purge myself after I ate "forbidden" foods and took me a long time to let go of such distorted thinking. It's scary how crucial your perception is, when comming to weightloss.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I used to think like that, and I developed bulimia that lasted for a year. I used to purge myself after I ate "forbidden" foods and took me a long time to let go of such distorted thinking. It's scary how crucial your perception is, when comming to weightloss.

Insightful. Yes, it's exactly the kind of thinking that leads to food disorders. I'm glad to hear you eventually let go of it.