MFP New Years Resolutions (the lighter side)

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    I resolve to post more on the boards in 2016. People constantly go on about snarky this and snarky that but this thread has shown me that there is intelligence, knowledge, wit [how I admire that] and a good old sense of humour around....hooray!!!
    u spelt homur wrung

Oh no I didn't....oh yes you did...oh no I didn't......

We have a Burnley man; local f-u-t-b-o-l coach. I have learned spiked, mashed, and other terms mean different things to an Englishman versus a 'Merican.

Yes, if you ask for a rubber over here you'll get a pencil eraser o:)

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I resolve to make posts so @Carlos_421 can nod his head.
    (Trying a different routine will get you out of that plateau you have been in since new year.)

Definitely need a like button for posts in this thread.
    Cheers, h.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I resolve to make posts so @Carlos_421 can nod his head.
    (Trying a different routine will get you out of that plateau you have been in since new year.)

Definitely need a like button for posts in this thread.
    Cheers, h.

An honorable resolution!!
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It costs nothing to enter Wales but you get charged when you leave - toll bridge = £6.50 - I'm too poor to leave ;)
    Um.... no, it's the other way around, you pay on the way in, it's free on the way out. I'd hate to think you were trapped in our lovely country under false pretences! :smiley:
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    whatang wrote: »
    It costs nothing to enter Wales but you get charged when you leave - toll bridge = £6.50 - I'm too poor to leave ;)
    Um.... no, it's the other way around, you pay on the way in, it's free on the way out. I'd hate to think you were trapped in our lovely country under false pretences! :smiley:

You_e5b439_2217962.jpeg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I resolve to post more on the boards in 2016. People constantly go on about snarky this and snarky that but this thread has shown me that there is intelligence, knowledge, wit [how I admire that] and a good old sense of humour around....hooray!!!
    u spelt homur wrung

We have a Burnley man; local f-u-t-b-o-l coach. I have learned spiked, mashed, and other terms mean different things to an Englishman versus a 'Merican.

And don't go to the UK and talk about your fanny pack! (US term for 'bum bag', for those of you in the UK - I understand the meaning is quite different there!)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I will stop raging at those who dispute scientific proof from the back so their unicorns.

I will laugh more at cleanse/fail threads.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    I resolve to post my more facetious comments and hope the multi cultural readers will get it.
    I usually self monitor my sense of humour. Exterminate, exterminate.

Cheers, h.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    u spelt homur wrung

And don't go to the UK and talk about your fanny pack! (US term for 'bum bag', for those of you in the UK - I understand the meaning is quite different there!)

There is an amazing essay by Joseph O'Connor about some language differences between Irish soccer fans and tour guides at Florida's Disney World. Happily, I managed to find an excerpt:

http://dublinerinjapan.blogspot.com/2008/06/332-disneyworld-with-joe.html
    Our tour guide Wanda is waiting for us. Wanda is a very nice young woman from Kissimee [in Florida, there are two ms]. "There are some rully good rides here at The Magic Kingdom," she says, to a chorus of snuffles and titters. "We have big rides, small rides, scary rides, happy rides, whatever kind of ride you like you can find here at The Magic Kingdom." One fan is falling about the place now and another -- Crocko by name -- is laughing his bloody dentures out. Wanda must be wondering what it is she is saying that has all these grown men nearly widdling with laughter. But, true professional that she is, she continues.

"Er ... some of the rides have been here for a long time, but other rides are new, and here at Disney we're constantly looking at ways to make rides more exciting." The fans are slapping their thighs and guffawing at this stage. One usually quiet man from Laois is actually honking with laughter, throwing his ponderous head back and honking like a great big white-legged hysterical mallard duck. Honko, I'm going to call him from now on.

"What's so funny?" Wanda says.

"Nothing, Wanda," Honko replies.

"No, c'mon," she says, "Am I like, saying something funny?"

"Not at all, Wanda. You're grand, sweetheart. And c'mere, tellus, do you like the odd ride yourself, Wanda?"

"Oh yes, of course."

"And how many rides would you have a day?"

"Oh, I dunno, three or four I guess. Depends how much spare time I get."...

Things are about to get even worse, however. An enormous structure depicting Mickey Mouse is pointed out on the horizon. Wanda tells us, her voice fairly brimming over with pride, "and guys, you know what, that's the largest self-supporting Mickey in the whole of the United States."

Well, I don't think I have to describe the communal reaction, really. It is as though the entire party has been blasted with laughing gas. Several of the supporters will need medical attention soon.

"Oh, there are other Mickeys," Wanda sniffs, dismissively, "there's a rully big Mickey in California, of course, and there are some rully large Mickeys in some of the other states, and a big old Mickey over there in Eurodisney. But I gotta tell you, we're real proud of our superb superbig Mickey that we got down here in Florida."
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Tears were nearly rolling down my face at that @lemurcat12.

I resolve not to giggle at terms from a non British country that has sexual connotations for the Brits, but to reply with a straight face,employing the same terminology, even if I am rolling on the floor wetting myself laughing.

Cheers, h.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    whatang wrote: »

I resolve to get professional help for my Severn Bridge dyslexia ;)

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    u spelt homur wrung

self-argument-e1371962650748.jpg