All protein diet?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    thoughts of all protein diet for one week? (Lean meats etc) And slowly interpreting fruits/veggies/carbs 2nd/3rd weeks?

I don't think that is necessary for weight loss. Weight loss is about calories. Nutrition is about the variety of foods your body needs to be healthy. You won't die if you only eat protein for a week. It just won't do much good and isn't nutritionally complete.
    Interpreting means to.understand or explain. Are you saying you will slowly try to understand fruits, vegetables and other carbs over the next 2 weeks or did you mean to use a different word?

sorry I meant incorporating, like adding.....my brains not working today with only being able to drink 1 cup of coffee today lol
    But I appreciate the response. I'm a little put off by the clinic I went to now, understanding there's no real value.
    I mean it was kinda obvious, but it did work when I did this a few months ago..I lost 8 pounds in the first week.

Most of that weight would be water from cutting out carbs
  • wannabefitmom1
    wannabefitmom1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @perifecto
    Awesome idea!! I work from home so I'm a "getting bored, let me eat" type! That's probably why I seek things like a weight clinic for a "quick fix" the purpose of me downloading the app and reaching out is to get myself out of that habit and gain control! Thanks so much for your response! Kudos to you and your fam too!
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Your poo would be the size of a fist. Please don't! Fiber is important!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    But I appreciate the response. I'm a little put off by the clinic I went to now, understanding there's no real value. I mean it was kinda obvious, but it did work when I did this a few months ago..I lost 8 pounds in the first week.

8lbs of water, maybe 1lb of fat and 7 of water. You need to cut calories to lose weight. You can eat Twinkies all day and as long as you have a calorie deficit, you'll lose. It ain't healthy, but it'll work!

Keto really is a way of eating for life. If you want, try it. You'll need to give it a fair shake of 2-3 months, but plenty of people love it and stick with it. Plenty of people hate it. The LCD group is great for info. Read The Launch Pad and see if it looks like something you can do for life. Because that's what any diet has to be for you to have long-term success.

I love keto. Any diet with bacon and cheese in copious quantities is going to be golden for me.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    thoughts of all protein diet for one week? (Lean meats etc) And slowly interpreting fruits/veggies/carbs 2nd/3rd weeks?

I don't think that is necessary for weight loss. Weight loss is about calories. Nutrition is about the variety of foods your body needs to be healthy. You won't die if you only eat protein for a week. It just won't do much good and isn't nutritionally complete.
    Interpreting means to.understand or explain. Are you saying you will slowly try to understand fruits, vegetables and other carbs over the next 2 weeks or did you mean to use a different word?

sorry I meant incorporating, like adding.....my brains not working today with only being able to drink 1 cup of coffee today lol
    But I appreciate the response. I'm a little put off by the clinic I went to now, understanding there's no real value.
    I mean it was kinda obvious, but it did work when I did this a few months ago..I lost 8 pounds in the first week.

The initial loss was probably mainly attributed to water loss. Eat in caloric deficit, and As long as it can fit your daily intake, don't deprive yourself of the little delicacies that we all enjoy! Good luck!
  • wannabefitmom1
    Options
    Thanks!! @biodigit
  • wannabefitmom1
    Options
    @flabassmcgee Picturing fist sized poo did it for me lol! :s:s
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP you've already gotten great advice about why an all protein diet is a bad idea, so I'm just curious, why do you think you need to go to a weight loss clinic when you only have 30 lbs to lose? Nothing that you've posted is sustainable or necessary (shocking your body into ketosis, appetite suppressants, etc). You mentioned doing this before so obviously whatever you did wasn't a permanent change and didn't give you the long term results you should be striving for.

Have you read the stickied posts at the top of each forum section? There is a wealth of info in them, especially in Getting Started: "So you're new here" and "A guide to get you started on your path to Sexypants" (sorry can't link from my phone).

But here would be my standard advice for someone with only 30 lbs to lose and presumably no medical reasons to restrict carbs or any other macro.

1. Set up MFP with accurate info: height, weight, activity level, etc.
    2. Enter a reasonable goal (for 30 lbs to lose you should enter 1 lb/week but after about 10-15 lbs lost change to 0.5 lb/week)
    3. Eat the foods you enjoy, focusing on nutrient dense foods but save room for treats if you like.
    4. Log everything, preferably using a food scale for optimal accuracy
    5. Exercise if you like, eating back at least a portion (50%) of your exercise calories.
    6. Be patient.

Good luck!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    PS I would write very strongly worded reviews on every public forum possible about how inappropriate and potentially dangerous the advice of this weight loss clinic is..
  • wannabefitmom1
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @winogelato
    Thanks for the reply!
    I go to the weight clinic for the appetite suppressors to help me maintain control of my portions. Obviously the diet is just a suggestion but obviously a horrible suggestion. I did check out the getting started tab and have reached out to try to find a mentor from the thread posted but I will take a look at the other things on there too!

Thanks for the awesome suggestions too :)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    @winogelato
    Thanks for the reply!
    I go to the weight clinic for the appetite suppressors to help me maintain control. Obviously the diet is just a suggestion but obviously a horrible suggestion. I did check out the getting started tab and have reached out to try to find a mentor from the thread posted but I will take a look at the other things on there too!

Have you thought of talking therapy instead of pills for your control issues?
  • wannabefitmom1
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • wannabefitmom1
    Options
    @winogelato
    Thanks for the reply!
    I go to the weight clinic for the appetite suppressors to help me maintain control. Obviously the diet is just a suggestion but obviously a horrible suggestion. I did check out the getting started tab and have reached out to try to find a mentor from the thread posted but I will take a look at the other things on there too!

No? But the purpose of this post wasn't for you to analyze my every response.
    Thanks though.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    @winogelato
    Thanks for the reply!

Maintain control as in just keep your calorie intake under control? Do you have issues with binge eating (as in diagnosed Binge Eating Disorder not just "ZOMG I binged last night and ate 5 Oreos).

I would strongly suggest trying to find ways to achieve your goals without relying on appetite suppressants. Many of those are not safe for long term consumption and have other side effects.

Again, with 30 lbs to lose you really should be focusing on eating a balanced diet at a moderate calorie deficit and developing life long habits not relying on pills or quick fixes.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, the reason you lost the weight and gained it back is because you lost the weight in a manner you can't sustain for the rest of your life, and you didn't learn how to eat to maintain the lower weight in the process.

Are you going to take appetite suppressants for the rest of your life? Stop relying on pills and weird eating plans. You can learn how to eat less calories and not be hungry, but you have to be willing to do the work and experiment with different types of foods to find what works for you. Once you figure that out, you can eat that way for the rest of your life, maintaining a lower healthy weight.

Enter your stats into MFP and start consistently and accurately logging your food and how you feel. You will start to see which types of food make you feel satiated and which leave you hungry. You will see where you are wasting a lot of unnecessary calories. Then you can make small changes or decide on a way of eating. If you are interested in keto or low carb, there are groups on here that can help you with those. It's not necessary for losing weight, but it helps some people get their calorie intake in line.

You do NOT need pills or a clinic to lose the weight. There are thousands of folks on MFP who have lost 30 lbs or way more without them. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @winogelato
    Thanks for the reply!

Thanks though.

Bit rude when people are only here to try and help you.
  • wannabefitmom1
    edited January 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    @winogelato
    Thanks for the reply!

Maintain control as in just keep your calorie intake under control? Do you have issues with binge eating (as in diagnosed Binge Eating Disorder not just "ZOMG I binged last night and ate 5 Oreos).

I would strongly suggest trying to find ways to achieve your goals without relying on appetite suppressants. Many of those are not safe for long term consumption and have other side effects.

Again, with 30 lbs to lose you really should be focusing on eating a balanced diet at a moderate calorie deficit and developing life long habits not relying on pills or quick fixes.

Just to maintain my portion control. And no I don't have any severe binge eating problems. I know 30 pounds isn't a lot to lose but it's been really hard for me to lose weight in the past due to excuses I made and my love for Sugar and carbs probably.

But for sure my GOAL is to obtain lifelong healthy habits. The pills I know aren't long term, I've done it once before and this is my second time and I have a two week supply, and don't plan on getting more. It kind of helps me set the tempo for portion control
  • wannabefitmom1
    Options
    @winogelato
    Thanks for the reply!

Thanks though.

Bit rude when people are only here to try and help you.

I found your comment a bit rude, sorry.

• wannabefitmom1
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, the reason you lost the weight and gained it back is because you lost the weight in a manner you can't sustain for the rest of your life, and you didn't learn how to eat to maintain the lower weight in the process.

Are you going to take appetite suppressants for the rest of your life? Stop relying on pills and weird eating plans. You can learn how to eat less calories and not be hungry, but you have to be willing to do the work and experiment with different types of foods to find what works for you. Once you figure that out, you can eat that way for the rest of your life, maintaining a lower healthy weight.

Enter your stats into MFP and start consistently and accurately logging your food and how you feel. You will start to see which types of food make you feel satiated and which leave you hungry. You will see where you are wasting a lot of unnecessary calories. Then you can make small changes or decide on a way of eating. If you are interested in keto or low carb, there are groups on here that can help you with those. It's not necessary for losing weight, but it helps some people get their calorie intake in line.

You do NOT need pills or a clinic to lose the weight. There are thousands of folks on MFP who have lost 30 lbs or way more without them. Good luck!

Thanks! Sometimes a good reality check is good. I appreciate the response!

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Thanks! Sometimes a good reality check is good. I appreciate the response!

Yeah, sometimes reality bites, but other times it can help you take a deep breath and a step back and find a more successful path :drinker: