what's wrong with cardio ?

Options
124»

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Do you like cardio? Then nothing is wrong with it.

Do you hate cardio? Then it's a unwise choice for your primary exercise.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No one is denying that you will lose weight You will absolutely, without a doubt lose weight by doing any kind of exercise to increase caloric deficit. But not all weight loss is created equal. My point is that if you don't recover properly from exercise, you will hurt your body composition more than is necessarily.

So just say "remember, if you have a 1000 calorie deficit, be sure you are eating back your exercise calories if you're using the NEAT method and do some sort of resistance training to limit muscle loss".
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    IMO it depends on your caloric balance. If you're sustaining, there is nothing inherently wrong with cardio. If you're trying to lose weight with a cut of 200-300 calories, probably fine. If you're cutting by, say, 800 calories, don't do cardio. You won't recover from it properly and it will have counterproductive effects.

What do you mean by this?

I thought he meant it is January 2nd.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I read some posts and it seemed people were not too keen on cardio. Just wondering if it was something they did not enjoy or an issue when trying to lose weight. I just started my weight loss mission and going on the elyptical a few times a week was going to be my exercise of choice.
    Nothing wrong with it. If cardio is your choice of exercise, that's what you should do. What some may be pointing out is that cardio doesn't help with strength (unless there's actual resistance with it IE. riding uphill) and most of the time does little to enhance the shape you may already have. And that's where resistance training comes in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Chiruadr wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with cardio. Just that weight lifting is superior in terms of calories burned. I do both cause I like running and lifting weights
    For the same duration and intensity, that would be incorrect. I know you may be leading on to EPOC, but even then, the calories burned aren't significant enough to denote.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options

You need to run faster if you think weight lifting is superior in terms of burning calories. ;-)

Take it up to HR Zone 4 with a few dabbles in HR Zone 5 for an hour and see what the burn is.

Weight lifting (and I mean serious weight lifting not 20 reps stuff) is superior in terms of calories burned. You are thinking of calories burned through the duration of the exercise. A heavy lifting session will let your body in a recovery state and increased metabolism for around 2-3 days.
    Is there a PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDY to support this? Not an article in a bodybuilding or fitness magazine, but something actually PEER REVIEWED?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    snip
    Look I never said I hate cardio. But in my point of view you'd make a mistake to not do both. I love to run also but I can't run too much cause that would impede with my lifting progress and I would stall at both. If we're to chose only one I would chose lifting cause it was more beneficial to me that cardio ever was. It fixes my posture, improved my strength and endurance and it felt really easy to get into running. The reason I said 2 days is because it takes around 72 hours for a muscle to recover. That is for an average person. The more advanced and closer to your natural limit you are the longer it takes. That's why beginners can do a full body workout every other day. Another thing why I said that lifting is better was because of the impact and adaptation it causes. And for me strength training carries to endurance and cardio more that otherwise.
    So anecdote. Also muscle recovery is different from aerobic vs anaerobic exercise. Different muscle fibers being used.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png