5,000 cals a day, high carb all raw all vegan diet? Freelee (the banana girl)

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    myssjaxson wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    LOL @ those who think I'm supporting her. I'm sharing the crazy because I think its funny and also interesting considering so many people believe her claims even though scientifically it is impossible. I was looking to have a lightened chat/discussion on the insanity but I suppose not.

I don't mind those accusing me of condoning her though I don't understand how as I blatantly explained I wasn't, but its cool. Lol.

It's not that people think you said positive things about her, but that giving her any attention benefits her.

Same as talking about starvation diets and fasts and unorthodox methods that come up a lot on here. I'm not writing her a check, I'm discussing the NEGATIVITY of her actions. I'm not trying to be all defensive, I'm simply frustrated with the "slap-the-puppy for playing" antics.

What people mean is that when you mention her, people who read this and are not familiar with her could google her or watch some of her stuff. She makes her living off page hits and views, so even the people clicking to hate on her are putting money in her pocket.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Here's the thing: that amount of bananas will kill you. Potassium overload.

Also, Freelee exercises a lot, so she may get away with eating that many calories. But she does not eat thirty bananas every single day, I don't think. She only did that for a short time as far as I am aware.

She is crazy.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    LOL @ those who think I'm supporting her. I'm sharing the crazy because I think its funny and also interesting considering so many people believe her claims even though scientifically it is impossible. I was looking to have a lightened chat/discussion on the insanity but I suppose not.

I don't mind those accusing me of condoning her though I don't understand how as I blatantly explained I wasn't, but its cool. Lol.

It's not that people think you said positive things about her, but that giving her any attention benefits her.

Same as talking about starvation diets and fasts and unorthodox methods that come up a lot on here. I'm not writing her a check, I'm discussing the NEGATIVITY of her actions. I'm not trying to be all defensive, I'm simply frustrated with the "slap-the-puppy for playing" antics.

What people mean is that when you mention her, people who read this and are not familiar with her could google her or watch some of her stuff. She makes her living off page hits and views, so even the people clicking to hate on her are putting money in her pocket.

This is so true as I have never heard of her before so took a peek.
    I have now added to her fame. Oh dear
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    P.s eating 50 bananas sounds awful
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    While I don't think eating a high calorie, high carb diet of mainly fruits would necessarily give one diabetes per say but I doubt she's really eating what she claims. She's likely ordering a pizza and laughing all the way to the bank.
    Since she is a nutjob, she is likely just saying ridiculous things in order to get page hits - more money. So the crazier she acts, the more people will visit her page thus she gets paid. So she may be playing the outrageous card just to see how much it can earn her. Either way, spreading bad info isn't cool. She is either nuts or pretending to be nuts to make money. She should feel awful for Spreading so much misinformation.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with her at all, and tbh she's a bit of a nutter. I don't think she's as healthy as she makes out, it's far from the only way to live a healthy lifestyle, eating meat is not bad for you, and the amount of people she criticises just for not doing the same as her is insane. On the other hand, I admit I quite like watching her videos. I'm aware that's making her money.

I watch her videos partly because I enjoy half of them, drama and all (I watch a few channels where I don't agree with their viewpoints) and partly because I am interested in cutting down on meat products, for many reasons. I have no intention of living a fully vegan or vegetarian lifestyle, however I don't believe it a bad thing to have more fruit and veg in your diet, learn a wider variety of recipes where you're not reliant on meat, or to just choose not go crazy with animal products (I currently eat meat pretty much every day)

If you watch it, just make sure you have a critical mind. As with every place of advice etc on the internet, a lot of what you read or watch is going to be BS. Research, use your own brain, and make your own judgements on things before blindly following other people.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Potassium overload, incomplete protein, completely deficient in certain nutrients, and insanely high calorie. It's slightly better than the Drain Cleaner Diet, I guess (although, decomposition will make you lose weight very quickly).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,758 Member
    Options

I have a hard time finding definitely unhealthy and potentially deadly advice "funny".
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't believe it a bad thing to have more fruit and veg in your diet, learn a wider variety of recipes where you're not reliant on meat, or to just choose not go crazy with animal products (I currently eat meat pretty much every day)

I agree with this -- I'm all for eating lots of veg (and lots of fruit if you want, although I definitely don't think insane amounts of bananas is the right approach) and cutting down on meat. I used to eat meatless a lot more of the time and would like to get back to that without cutting it out. That said, I think there are lots of good sources for this that are less nutty and less obnoxious than Freelee, and which don't push false claims.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    ...Since she is a nutjob, she is likely just saying ridiculous things in order to get page hits - more money. So the crazier she acts, the more people will visit her page thus she gets paid...

^ And there's the bottom line.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For kicks, here is someone else's (actual) experiences with 5000+kcal hight fat and high carb diets.
    http://live.smashthefat.com/5000-calorie-carb-challenge-day-21/
    http://live.smashthefat.com/5000-calorie-challenge-day-21/

The high carb challenge is nutritionally pretty poor in my opinion, a SAD diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You can eat high carb or high fat as a nutritionally poor diet or as a nutritionally rich diet, although very high fat would be harder to do in a nutritionally-rich way.

SAD is something like 50-55% carbs, so not in Freelee's ballpark, and whacko that she is, she doesn't eat the SAD, which is also considered high fat and high sat fat.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Also, Freelee exercises a lot, so she may get away with eating that many calories. But she does not eat thirty bananas every single day, I don't think. She only did that for a short time as far as I am aware.

She is crazy.

Acutally it will not kill you. You need around 400 bananas (at once) to get poisoned. One banana is around 400 mg of potassium and you need around 4800 to be healthy.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I hate her and durianrider for the absolute BULLSH!! they promote.

The nonsense-
    First of all, i think it's pretty damn obvious that you cannot eat UNLIMITED fruits, date-o-rade smoothies and not gain weight as she claims. Secondly, they drawl on and on about a so called "metabolic damage" from "calorie restricting" in the past (no designated time period, if you've ever eaten less than you need you've damaged your metabolism and it will take years to heal through a vegan diet). Third, they always talk about how fruit cannot make you fat, and that it is only dietary fat that can make you fat. Fourth, they tell women that they shouldn't take birth control unless they want to get cancer, so instead ALL men should get a visectomy. Lastly, in her raw til 4 eating plan she encourages people to smash in the calories and eat far beyond their means, with 2,000 minimum for women and 2,500 minimum for men.

The truth-
    Do I believe she actually eats as many calories as she claims? Actually, yes, I do. BUT this is because both her and durianrider are burning thousands of calories a day by biking. How does she stay slim while all these other people get fat eating this obscene amount of cals?

http://youtu.be/TAaypBc6f5w

"We just cycled 69km on hills, so really as you can see, we don't do a lot of exercise".

She cashes in on her slim figure to spread a message of ignorance and a lack of fundamental biological awareness.

In my opinion, you can be vegan and healthy. But not by following 80/10/10, Raw, Raw til 4, etc. All of the people who promote this nonsense like herself, FullyRAwKristina, Dr. Graham, and so on should be ashamed of themselves.

A vegan youtuber I always enjoy is unnaturalvegan who takes the time to refute this nonsense and all the other things they claim with actual science.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Chiruadr wrote: »

She is crazy.

Acutally it will not kill you. You need around 400 bananas (at once) to get poisoned. One banana is around 400 mg of potassium and you need around 4800 to be healthy.

4,700 mg is what is recommended for an adult. One banana has 422 mg. 30 bananas a day is about 12,660 miligrams of potassium per day. That's almost 3x the recommendation. Eat 12,660 mgs every day for months and I guarantee there will be problems from that amount of potassium. Not only that, but high amounts of potassium causes stomach upset, so there will be diarrhea possible. And that will also cause electrolyte issues if it's severe enough.

Also, bananas contain magnesium and more than 12 bananas a day is enough to overdose on it as well.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Here's her strava actually.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/1136428

So far in the new year shes clocked in about 80km.

She also frequently takes her dog to the park, and does other "active" stuff.

And to the OP-
    Freelee claims that an unlimited calorie, high-carb totally raw, totally vegan diet is the ONLY way to be healthy and lose weight. That limiting calories is setting up for failure and is unhealthy. She condones eating a diet consisting of 90%+ fruit, eating up to 50 bananas a day, and at least 3,000

She no longer supports this idea so this is wrong. Not defending her, let's just get the facts straight. 2,000 for women, 2,500 for men, and she supports eating raw as much as possible throughout the day with a COOKED meal (of starches) for dinner. This comes from the research she did on dr. John McDougal's Starch Solution.

Here's the specific diet plan she recommends
    10636079_759228974144390_1885612402173897131_n.png

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Chiruadr wrote: »

She is crazy.

4,700 mg is what is recommended for an adult. One banana has 422 mg. 30 bananas a day is about 12,660 miligrams of potassium per day. That's almost 3x the recommendation. Eat 12,660 mgs every day for months and I guarantee there will be problems from that amount of potassium. Not only that, but high amounts of potassium causes stomach upset, so there will be diarrhea possible. And that will also cause electrolyte issues if it's severe enough.

Also, bananas contain magnesium and more than 12 bananas a day is enough to overdose on it as well.

Maybe I should have said if you eat 400 bananas at once you can die. I agree that 30 bananas will cause problems but it will not kill you unless you ignore common sense
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    She's the Kimkins of the fruit bats. She does not practice what she harangues and belittles others over and is about nothing but how much money she can squeeze out of the ignorant and desperate before the jig is up. Also likely more than just a touch of sadism/sociopathy in that one if I were of the armchair diagnostician kind.

Although, there is one gem in all that sewage. I wouldn't mind seeing more men take responsibility for birth control and get vasectomies (or develop an Essure-like contraceptive for non-surgically blocking the vas deferens) as opposed to women ingesting synthetic hormones indefinitely, inserting foreign bodies in their uteri, or risking iatrogenic ovarian blood supply disruption and subsequent atrophy + early menopause. Of course, if they'd get around to that contraceptive pill for men they've been promising is right around the corner the for past 30 years or so now, then cold steel wouldn't be necessary at all now would it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Only one person may have accused you, and she said straight up she stopped reading when she saw Freelee's name.

And said I was only suggesting that you're bringing her more clicks. As thorsmom eloquently explained.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Only one person may have accused you, and she said straight up she stopped reading when she saw Freelee's name.

And said I was only suggesting that you're bringing her more clicks. As thorsmom eloquently explained.

I know. I'm just not as eloquent.