What's the one kitchen tool?

Options
124»

Replies

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Food scale and then a sousvide, best kitchen appliance I've ever bought, perfect for meal prep and making dinner while I'm at the gym. Not even expensive anymore.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    A sharp knife, a kitchen scale, getting creative with recipes found on websites and google, and my bike. I often ride my bike to the grocery store and only bring home things that fit in my backpack. If I bring home something heavy, like a roast, I burn more calories getting it home. Going from sedentary to lightly active, to eventually moderately active, did a whole lot for me. That was the only thing that got my weight to finally start going down. Oh, and learning how to substitute high calorie flavor additives like butter for low calorie flavor additives like lemons and limes. Honestly, no kitchen gadget is going to help or hurt. The important thing is the ingredients.

So maybe instead of wasting money on a spiralizer get a fitbit and track how much you're moving while prepping food, get online and read about food prep and cutting calories without losing flavor, and walk or bike to the grocery store on Saturdays or whenever you can. While you can't necessarily exercise away a bad diet, you certainly can get the weight off by increasing activity while engaging in meal prep.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Scale.

My spirilizer is sitting in a drawer because it's SUCH A PITA TO CLEAN.

I avoid gadgets like a spiralizer just for that reason. I have very few specialized one use infomercial type items also because of no room to store them and I wouldn't use them.

I have a mandolin that can do the job to get long julienned veggies fast (no curl but who cares lol) as well as thin slices. It's easy to use and clean - just watch the fingers!

I use my scales constantly but a nice medium weight knife kept very sharp is just as important. A nice blender and immersion blender are good too. I have a kitchenaid mixer but I mostly use that for higher calorie items. It's essential but not for every day use. My well seasoned cast iron pans are awesome. I do not like nor use "non stick" coated pans.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Once you have a scale (most important tool), the second best is a tip: weigh all of your pans, cooking dishes, and crockpot liner and keep a list of those weights on the fridge. This way you can weigh and come up with accurate serving sizes instead of just eyeballing it.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Once you have a scale (most important tool), the second best is a tip: weigh all of your pans, cooking dishes, and crockpot liner and keep a list of those weights on the fridge. This way you can weigh and come up with accurate serving sizes instead of just eyeballing it.

If you have a tare option on your scale, this isn't necessary. You can even tare after adding each ingredient to get accurate measurements of every item you place in the pot.
  • sebunting
    sebunting Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would like a Thermamix... They do everything!