Friend requests without messages: Creepy or nah?

Options

Replies

• risingstar89
    risingstar89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    errollm wrote: »
    I always send a message, and prefer requests do the same. I find it's usually just new people that don't know the courtesy yet. And occasionally collectors, but it's pretty easy to spot people just in it for the numbers.

I'm not necessarily a newbie, but I'm new to the community and so sometimes I send a message, sometimes I don't, but I am also not interested in randomly adding people because I actually read and post status updates and comment on people's status. That would be annoying with thousands of friends lol. Btw I hope you don't mind me saying that you are cute. That was not meant to be creepy lol
  • sw33tp3a15
    sw33tp3a15 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    Don't matter to me. But I love reading the really creative ones.
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,417 Member
    Options
    When this happens, I take a serious look at the mirror and ask myself this question:

"Are you important?"
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Nah not creepy
  • jlisa24
    jlisa24 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Creepy? I think of it as a social community. Im used to using social media / community sites so, outside of my personal fb page i have a lot of friends and followers. I suppose it depends on your own personal agenda and take on this one, in particular!

If the person ends up being creepy, deleted. If youre cool, friend/ follow me!
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    What's creepy to me is no picture. But given this is a weight loss website and not a dating one I understand sometimes if a person doesn't want to post a pic of themselves. So that's my two cents.
  • bigeasy50
    bigeasy50 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am new to site seeking support not sure of the message to put in box I put my name and a small message but I am not sure if my setting allow you to see who I am any advice here ?
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I won't accept a FR anymore unless there's at least a short message. When I first started here I didn't know about the "MFP Collectors" and just accepted everyone. More times than not, these people never interact with me at all so I end up doing a lot of deleting.
    Since I've gotten pickier about my FR I've noticed that I actually now have a group of very cool people I interact with here on a daily basis :)
  • Jess1989ica
    Jess1989ica Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I like then better with a small msg..
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I am really torn on this. I prefer FR with messages but only if they are creepy. The creepier the better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do you ever receive friend requests without messages? Well one user requested in their bio that no one send them a friend request without a message because it is "creepy". At first I didn't get it and I thought it was just that person, but I've seen others saying the same thing. I would like to start a discussion about this because I am curious to see what people think. Some questions to consider: Do you think it's creepy to receive a request without a message? Why or why not? Do you send friend requests with messages? Why or why not? Lets converse.

Most of the requests I get are without messages...I don't find it creepy, but I generally don't accept them either because they obviously didn't bother to read my profile.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Do you ever receive friend requests without messages? Yes, more often than not.

Do you send friend requests with messages? Always so they know how I found them and tell them a little about me always stating to accept or decline as they see fit based on the info I give them.

Do you think it's creepy to receive a request without a message? Creepy – no. I think many newer folks don’t think too much about it.

I had it listed in my profile for a long while. However, it requires people to look at your profile to be beneficial. I now list it in my “Your Page Title” in hopes that someone will actually see it.

Some cases it works, some cases it doesn’t. In cases where I don’t receive a message, I do a quick search to ensure I’m not acquiring a creep or a friend collector.
  • nm2bsc
    nm2bsc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think we overall put a lot of fences demanding others pay their dues to have to right to be our friends.
    I personally like it better when we are more open, friendly and accepting (as in accepting FRs)

There's a "remove friend" button and I don't think they charge to use it.

I accept all requests with or without message and if it doesn't work some people may get removed.
  • yvie63
    yvie63 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Not creepy but I do ask people to tell me a little about themselves as I don't want to be 'collected' I will accept without a message if we have friends in common - I am more selective now - I spend time actively supporting and have no time for people who never both to interact, what's the point?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I accept everyone...... then delete. we are all special and unique in our own way. no judging.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I've been here for almost three years, so I've gotten picky about who I have as friends. I don't want to have a list of friends I know nothing about since I talk about personal and family anecdotes on my wall. I have a great group of friends here now. I don't want to be collected by someone for their massive friend collection. If a person can't be bothered to put a few words down about why they're friending me or saying something about themselves, why should I accept the FR? I don't go up to random people in real life and try to silently make them my friend. The best are those who send blank FR and have a locked private profile. LOL!

I've found that people who send blank FR and also have a blank wall description of themselves aren't as active here or as supportive as people who take the time to fill out their profile.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Jacwhite22 wrote: »
    I am really torn on this. I prefer FR with messages but only if they are creepy. The creepier the better.

Yes.
  • VeryCarrie6969
    VeryCarrie6969 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me; this isn't really like fb where you might know the people from work, school, etc. It is nice, though, to add friends with common goals for mutual support and encouragement. That being said, I'm a 50ish working wife, mom & grandma wanting to lose about 20lb. If you're similar, friend me...I don't mind!