Friend requests without messages: Creepy or nah?

Options

Replies

• blondierunner2015
    blondierunner2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    How do you find people's profiles?

Click on the pick, then on the pic on the windows recently opened.
    So, I clicked on yours. All I see is your feed. Is that what I'm supposed to see? Don't mean to get off topic. (Sorry)
  • JeffreyMGiron
    JeffreyMGiron Posts: 3,582 Member
    Options
    i dont care, ill just delete if i get no responses from them after a while i like to chat...i send the Friend Requests with no messages sometimes just because...but ill always end up sending a message when i have the time.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The creepier the better! Amirite??!!?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Some people (like myself) have our profiles set as private. As I am active on the chit chat forum, I found I got too much unwanted attention so I closed mine. On us you will see a comment that the users feed is private and only friends can see it. If there is nothing at all, the profile has not been filled in. If there is a massive friends list with 500+ friends, it's more than likely a collector.

Good thing about MFP is that it is very easy to click the delete button and to block users. Some of the people I interact the most with, added me without a personal note.
  • blondierunner2015
    Options
    y sense.

Like @Bonny132 the collectors creep me out and I purge often too. I'll sometimes accept and delete pretty quick once I've been able to determine if I'll just be annoyed either by the friends they keep or the writings on their walls.[/quote]

What are the collectors? Oh...and I'm deleting my message I was going to send you after I was finished proof reading. I suppose we could just be friends instead? :)[/quote]

The collectors...the people with like over 500 friends usually. Some have like 3,000 friends...why do you need that many??!?

And I like getting messages just not weird ones that make no sense [/quote]

No kidding! 3000?? I mean that's like a small town! I have 20 friends right now. 500 seems high too. I don't think I've met 500 people in my
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Some people (like myself) have our profiles set as private. As I am active on the chit chat forum, I found I got too much unwanted attention so I closed mine. On us you will see a comment that the users feed is private and only friends can see it. If there is nothing at all, the profile has not been filled in. If there is a massive friends list with 500+ friends, it's more than likely a collector.

Good thing about MFP is that it is very easy to click the delete button and to block users. Some of the people I interact the most with, added me without a personal note.

Good info! Thanks! I think I have mine as private.
  • southerman46
    southerman46 Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I think women get away with not sending messages more than men do. I have had very few women that FR send a message with it but if you send a three paragraph message saying why we need to be friends I promise I will decline you lol.
  • blondierunner2015
    Options
    I think women get away with not sending messages more than men do. I have had very few women that FR send a message with it but if you send a three paragraph message saying why we need to be friends I promise I will decline you lol.

Lol. But a quick...hey, I'm a runner too! Friend me if you like...works well..lol
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Today's "Phoarrrr love your stockings, do you have more pics" did not work...... lol
  • southerman46
    Options

Lol. But a quick...hey, I'm a runner too! Friend me if you like...works well..lol

Yes a short to the point message works every time :smile:
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    kchuskey wrote: »
    synchkat wrote: »
    kchuskey wrote: »
    Apparently the new trend is to send a weird PM and then follow that up with a friend request. This has happened a few times it's weird because the messages are just weird, today's didn't even make any sense.

Like @Bonny132 the collectors creep me out and I purge often too. I'll sometimes accept and delete pretty quick once I've been able to determine if I'll just be annoyed either by the friends they keep or the writings on their walls.

What are the collectors? Oh...and I'm deleting my message I was going to send you after I was finished proof reading. I suppose we could just be friends instead? :)

The collectors...the people with like over 500 friends usually. Some have like 3,000 friends...why do you need that many??!?

And I like getting messages just not weird ones that make no sense

No kidding! 3000?? I mean that's like a small town! I have 20 friends right now. 500 seems high too. I don't think I've met 500 people in my entire lifetime, that I'd consider "friends". lol

@kchuskey I know right. I grew up in a town that was 2500 people.
    And I'm not sure I even know more than 100 people.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options

Too much reading for ya??!? :p
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Not creepy to me, I don't really give a hoot about "friends" on here anyway as I usually don't interact with people. That's not why I'm here. I accept anyone who adds me, message or not.

I think I have added a couple of "friends" if I noticed they are from my same town/ or if they happen to be super inspiring to me, but I think I included a message. Maybe.

...Reading this thread made me LOL.. some of y'all take this internet social stuff so damn seriously.
  • southerman46
    Options

Too much reading for ya??!? :p

You figured me out that is exactly what it is. :wink:

• dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new here, so I accept anyone. What's the harm in being "collected?" If you post I try to comment, if not then nbd.

Plus, it's not like facebook where you can see where I hang out and pictures of me singing karaoke. I don't care who knows that I went for a walk around the block lol
  • blondierunner2015
    Options
    larali1980 wrote: »
    Not creepy to me, I don't really give a hoot about "friends" on here anyway as I usually don't interact with people. That's not why I'm here. I accept anyone who adds me, message or not.

I think I have added a couple of "friends" if I noticed they are from my same town/ or if they happen to be super inspiring to me, but I think I included a message. Maybe.

...Reading this thread made me LOL.. some of y'all take this internet social stuff so damn seriously.

It is funny, until something bad happens...you learn to be more careful about who you trust and let in.
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    dwulet130 wrote: »
    I'm pretty new here, so I accept anyone. What's the harm in being "collected?" If you post I try to comment, if not then nbd.

Plus, it's not like facebook where you can see where I hang out and pictures of me singing karaoke. I don't care who knows that I went for a walk around the block lol

Yeah!!! the thing is...in here everything levitates around the fact that we all share a common goal...to get fit...no matter if you're a bit bulky or overweight, or skinny or you're already on your goals, we look for fitness-chasing people, not only based on pics (I am talking from my perspective), you can even friend married people....no big issue right?. Everybody is welcome.
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    larali1980 wrote: »

It is funny, until something bad happens...you learn to be more careful about who you trust and let in.

True. I mean, I'm all about being careful on the internet (I don't have Facebook for this reason, and I don't allow my sisters to post pics of my kids on her Facebook, etc.) But I'm talking about people who use this website as some sort of social network and are so snobby about who "friends" them on here. It's not like most people post personal information on this site. Most people just track calories and talk about what sort of exercise they do.

I'm personally not worried about anyone stalking me based on my profile pic, but if you're a super sexy person and are worried about "creepos" friending you, take off your personal pictures and don't post any information. It ain't a hard concept.

What I'm saying is, this isn't Facebook but some people use it as such. I think that is silly
  • ravi_tiwari_786
    ravi_tiwari_786 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    A short message would be good enough!
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Never had a friend request here,either with or without a message.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    No message, no friending.