Gains, Pain & Middle Age - 5 pounds in 3 weeks

Options
124»

Replies

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Going for a slow, lean bulk like you. Would like to cut my bodyfat a little at the same time. Not sure if possible. Only time will tell. Week by week we go........

Do you know your BF? I have a fancy digital scale but don't think it's very accurate for BF? Mine says 20%??

I don't know my BF, I do have some calipers and did used to measure my ilac crest but soo got bored with it.

For the last 10 days i've reduced my calories by 400, I'm going to take the weekly average before and after the cut to see how it's result. I'll know in 1 weeks time.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Well my cal cut to .5 gain a week plus no carbs beyond post workout meal plus cardio sprints just killed my gains. Lost 5 pounds. sigh......... Only good thing about it was I can kind of see my upper abs. I think thats abs? Never had them so..... Can you really have your cake and eat it too?

ut12b1z66vpo.png

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Lost 5 pounds of what? LOL... Yo got them abs in the pic!

I have been following this thread for a while and thought I would say terrific job! Speaking to you as a 47 year old who too has aches and pains and I am determined not to given in to them.. take it week by week.

It seems since I started lifting a year and 1/2 ago that I complete a goal and then start another one, the transformation is never completed. I guess I call it working on making an even better version of myself as I head into the 50's...

BTW I think you can have your cake and it too!
  • pbryd
    Options
    Well my cal cut to .5 gain a week plus no carbs beyond post workout meal plus cardio sprints just killed my gains. Lost 5 pounds. sigh.........

How many calories did you cut from your daily allowance?

The weight lost is probably just a mixture of less muscle glycogen and food going through your system.

• 883xlsportster
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Lost 5 pounds of what? LOL

Heh.. I read you. All relevant. Just seemed like such a struggle the past 4 months to gain weight to see a third of it gone in a span of a week.
    I have been following this thread for a while and thought I would say terrific job!

Thank you ;-)
    BTW I think you can have your cake and eat it too!

Best news yet B)
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    Well my cal cut to .5 gain a week plus no carbs beyond post workout meal plus cardio sprints just killed my gains. Lost 5 pounds. sigh.........

How many calories did you cut from your daily allowance?

The weight lost is probably just a mixture of less muscle glycogen and food going through your system.

I was at 2800 for 1 pound a week but cut it down to 2280. All via the MFP goal tab. I will bump it up a bit.
  • GusOC
    GusOC Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    "Funny how the mind still thinks it's 25 yet the joints and tendons tell you otherwise."

Oh bro I'm 36 and started getting back into it last year and I know exactly what your talking about. My joints are trashed from going super heavy in my 20s. What I found that works for me is I lightened the weight quite a bit and do super strict form, really focusing on the mind muscle connection, and making sure I keep constant tension threw each set. I have been able to put on some size with that. It sucked at first looking at these damn 60 lb dumb bells thinking 10 years ago I was using 120s but once my little boy ego let go of that I have been much happier with out the clicking and popping in shoulders and pain in elbows.
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    GusOC wrote: »
    "Funny how the mind still thinks it's 25 yet the joints and tendons tell you otherwise."

do super strict form, really focusing on the mind muscle connection, and making sure I keep constant tension threw each set.

Exactly. Work around exercises and time under tension. Especially on push days. Still can't bench or shoulder press without cuff issues so floor and landmine are my go to.

Oh to be 20's again. And all that T of youth.

• pbryd
    Options
    I was at 2800 for 1 pound a week but cut it down to 2280. All via the MFP goal tab. I will bump it up a bit.

I wouldn't rely too much on the MFP recommendations.

My lean bulk calories are 2600, I figure -200 will take me to maintenance, and a further -200 will take me to slight deficit.

A little experiment I did, for a day minicut I cut my calories by -400, from 2600 to 2200.

I took my average weight and waist for 1 week, pre and post cut.

Results

Average weight 1 week pre-cut: 133.7
    Average weight 1 week post-cut: 133.4

Average waist 1 week pre-cut: 30.5"
    Average waist 1 week post-cut: 30.4"

So 10 days at 2200 resulted in an 0.3lb weight loss and 0.1" from my waist.

A nice little result, 2200 is easily maintainable for the long haul too.