Can't understand not being able to get all your calories...

Options
1234568»

Replies

• glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have 1400 calories left to eat and I will not be able to eat all of that for the p.m. But when you eat "clean" (aka veggies, fruit, lean protein, no processed foods) that's when filling up the count gets to be fun.

I don't know about fun, but I look at is as a function of caloric density. Most junk food is pretty caloricly dense inherently, or we eat a lot of it (like chips, pop corn, pretzels, etc...), which can make it that way. There are many clean foods though you could eat a lot of, but would not really have a high calorie count like carrots, celery, broccoli, etc...

Of course there's also how distorted portion sizes are, at least in the States. But yes, keeping track of your calories, like keeping a diary or weighing out a food is pretty helpful or at least insightful. It really can open your mind.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I run into the problem all the time. At the end of every day, I almost always have calories left, but I've gone over on protein and occasionally on fat. So then I'm left with carbs to consume and I have a hard time finding carbs that don't also have protein, which just puts me more in the hole with protein. I haven't been able to figure out how to get it right yet but since I'm losing consistently, I must be doing okay. I know I'm going to hear about how I'm doing something wrong. I do list every single ounce of what I eat, and I do measure and weight every single thing that goes into my mouth. As for exercise, the path behind my house where I walk has markers for every quarter mile, so I can time myself between markers and know how fast I'm walking. I don't know how I can be more precise than I'm already being. Yet at the end of the day, I'm still short on calories even when I try to eat them back, because the protein thing bites me in the *kitten* every time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I run into the problem all the time. At the end of every day, I almost always have calories left, but I've gone over on protein and occasionally on fat. So then I'm left with carbs to consume and I have a hard time finding carbs that don't also have protein, which just puts me more in the hole with protein. I haven't been able to figure out how to get it right yet but since I'm losing consistently, I must be doing okay. I know I'm going to hear about how I'm doing something wrong. I do list every single ounce of what I eat, and I do measure and weight every single thing that goes into my mouth. As for exercise, the path behind my house where I walk has markers for every quarter mile, so I can time myself between markers and know how fast I'm walking. I don't know how I can be more precise than I'm already being. Yet at the end of the day, I'm still short on calories even when I try to eat them back, because the protein thing bites me in the *kitten* every time.

It's fine to be over on protein. Unless you eat like 300g of them a day, you really can never eat too much. It's good for you.
  • ctcountrygurl
    ctcountrygurl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I meant "fun" in a joking term :) I do find it hard to fill up on all my calories when I'm trying to feed my body with high quality "fuel" (which is primarily made of non-processed foods i.e. veggies, fruits, protein, healthy fats). The U.S. portions are out of control for everything and that is something to be considered when doing portion sizes.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I have that problem, too. My solution has been wine :)
  • thenewpath2me
    Options
    I just wanted to add my 2 cents in :) I'm a very big girl and I usually end up eating 1600, when my goal on mfp says 1460. I find that is where I feel good. ANYWAY when I'm having a hard time because I ate too lite throughout the day I get scared to eat the rest of my calories. I'm a binger, especially evening and night, so I struggle with "What" to eat to finish my day so that it doesn't trigger a big fall out!
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Some days I feel like I could eat half a lb of pasta by myself. With a side of garlic bread!

And then I have days like today. I cleaned out the fridge I share with other people and I don't even feel like looking at food right now, nevermind cooking and eating it. ~500 calories below my 1210 limit... ugh. :sick:

I just wanted to say that I love the picture on your ticker :) And agree with the huge appetite sometimes and the zero appetite sometimes.