Do people give you weird looks in public?

Options
Be it for any reason, mostly for you being you? I've had people give me the strangest looks. Keep in mind, most of these people are in their 60's+.

If you go to my pictures, it's quite obvious why these people would look at me as some sort of alien.
It's funny to me when they're giving me these looks, then witness me committing an act of kindness.

It goes to show, judgement will always start on the cover of the book.

I'm just curious, has anyone given you strange looks in public, be it the way you were acting, your weight, your appearance, etc.?

Replies

• Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I find I'm usually invisible to most people... and I'm alright with that. Unless I'm hanging out with a girl and I start getting funny looks from people that say "What the hell is SHE doing with him?" Haha. Come to think of it - I'm alright with that, too. It stems from jealousy
  • TheExorcistt
    Options
    I find I'm usually invisible to most people... and I'm alright with that. Unless I'm hanging out with a girl and I start getting funny looks from people that say "What the hell is SHE doing with him?" Haha. Come to think of it - I'm alright with that, too. It stems from jealousy

Makes sense. lol

The ones that avoid me are actually doing me a favor. Saving me from having to talk to an idiot. Makes people who talk to me that much better.
  • combatbunny
    combatbunny Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    yep. people in their "sunday best" especially seem to have staring issues. they can piss off.
  • TheExorcistt
    Options
    yep. people in their "sunday best" especially seem to have staring issues. they can piss off.
    [/quote

Oh, don't even get me started on them. They are definitely the worst.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    only when I go topless, apparently that kind of stuff is frowned upon :noway:
  • TheExorcistt
    Options
    only when I go topless, apparently that kind of stuff is frowned upon :noway:

I hope it's just the women giving you weird looks. :laugh:
  • Kit000
    Kit000 Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes, I often get longer glance, straight out glares and have had many people turn to their friend and whisper. There have been a couple of times where it's not been a whisper, but a loud comment heard by all around.

Why? Because I am different. I'm just not like my peers. I just don't fit into the assumption of what society dictates for a woman my age.

Does it bother me? No. Right or wrong, people will always judge.
  • TheExorcistt
    Options
    Yes, I often get longer glance, straight out glares and have had many people turn to their friend and whisper. There have been a couple of times where it's not been a whisper, but a loud comment heard by all around.

Why? Because I am different. I'm just not like my peers. I just don't fit into the assumption of what society dictates for a woman my age.

Let's raise our glasses.. To us! The freaks!
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Certainly. I was morbidly obese all throughout high-school (and unfortunately still am!), so random staring became quite the norm for me. My mannerisms and the way I say things can be strange at times, too. It used to make me very nervous, but I think I'm learning to handle things better with age. It's not necessarily a constant thing in my life, but it's happened more than once.
  • Kit000
    Kit000 Posts: 4
    Options

Let's raise our glasses.. To us! The freaks!

Haha!!! Indeed, I am quite happy with my freakishness. There is nothing wrong with just being yourself.
  • TheExorcistt
    Options
    Certainly. I was morbidly obese all throughout high-school (and unfortunately still am!), so random staring became quite the norm for me. My mannerisms and the way I say things can be strange at times, too. It used to make me very nervous, but I think I'm learning to handle things better with age. It's not necessarily a constant thing in my life, but it's happened more than once.

That's good that you don't let it get to you, also congrats on your weight loss!!

@Kit I agree whole-heartedly.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Yup. Living in a country where I am an ethnic minority, I get used to it.
  • TheExorcistt
    Options

Where are you residing?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Where are you residing?

Japan.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I get weird looks all the time. I tend to be a rather strange person, apparently. I'm alright with that, though. :P
  • rdzilla
    rdzilla Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Living in Asia, being a foot taller than most people and easily twice as heavy, yes I do. Doesn't stop the little old ladies from pushing onto the subway!
  • TheExorcistt
    Options
    :smile: I don't see anything wrong with you guys.. Then again, I'm a weirdo as well, Jessica so maybe I'm used to seeing it enough to not realize I'm seeing it. :laugh:
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I wear my hair red so I get looks all the time. I get compliments as well on my hair but the looks are usually from other females who are shocked and possibly a little jealous that I can get away with my bright *kitten* hair lol. I love it. :)
  • poma91
    poma91 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Since I live in Germany, my German is still not completely fluent. That's why I prefer not to talk much and I guess I created an image of myself for being the quiet girl. However sometimes at practice (cheerleading) I just let go and start acting crazy (me being me) and people give me the strangest looks hahah :D It's still hilarious though
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I am wearing, I look quite conservative (back to a naturalish hair colour at the mo!) and I don't have visible piercings any more, but I have quite a lot of tattoos. People who don't know how many I have are very like "oooo I didn't think you were that sort of girl"...... Really? Now we should be getting better weather I don't look forward to the grabbing and questions! But I love my tattoos :laugh: