Do people give you weird looks in public?

Options

Replies

• Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It is easy to wear a suit in public, it is a lot harder to be you and that includes dyed hair, pierced what ever and tattoos.

Never stop being you.

What if wearing a suit IS you? ;-) I love my business suits!

Having recently joined the 60+ group, let me remind you that when WE were your age, it was a time of psychedelic drugs, guys with long hair, and "if it feels good, do it". I may have a business suit on my body but I've got Led Zeppelin in my head. I hope that never changes.

If I'm looking at you, it may be because I'm looking at your candy-apple-red hair and thinking it looks good on you, or I'm looking at an outfit of vintage, eccentric clothing that somehow all goes together and admiring your sense of style. If I'm staring at tattoos, it may be that I'm trying to read them or admiring the artistry or- yeah, maybe I think you went a little overboard. Same with the piercing. Sometimes- sorry- it's just painful for me to look at as I picture those areas of MY body being punctured. Or I may be wishing I could have a little diamond nose stud but thinking it wouldn't go well in a client-facing job in the insurance business.

I'm not looking at you and drawing conclusions about your character. And, as someone sid earlier, if your appearance is very different from the average, people will look at you longer.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Generally no, but I have a fairly large tattoo on my leg and recently I was walking into the gym and a couple at least in their late 60s were standing outside near the entrance. The woman half of the couple saw me walking up and did a head to toe on me. Okay, whatever. Then she- quite obviously- while staring at my tattoo started elbowing the male half of the couple to get his attention while continuing to stare at my leg as I was walking by. It wasn't even staring anymore, it was gawking. When I got to the door, I turned to look at them and they were both staring at me. I don't know if it was because of the tattoo or if I looked like someone they knew or what. It was weird all around.
  • LYNN8SUPERSTAR
    Options
    Over the course of the last year i have lost 140lbs and my coworkers stare at me like im a Alien. I had one lift up my shirt last week to see my stomach w/o asking. I dont know what there looking for. LOL!!LOL!!! :laugh:
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love when people stare at me. Gives me a reason to put on a show. Stare away b!tches. At least they found something worth looking at. ;)
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I have done double takes, but not because I "disapprove" of it, but rather I want to make sure I aw what I saw. What I mean, sometimes I will notice a tattoo on the calf etc and just want to make sure I am not seeing things.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I wear tie bars with bright yellow pants... sometimes I'll break out my wing tip dress shoes... Yea, I get weird looks, but they're just 'mirin.
  • Jarice12
    Jarice12 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My SO happens to be a woman, so YES! 4 years, haven't gotten used to it yet
  • heidihunt357
    heidihunt357 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have read a few of these and I must say, I mostly get stared at when I am with my hubby. I have the look of more of the girl next door and he is what I lovingly refer to as a hoodlum. Not in a bad way in any way shape or form though. He has piercings, tattoos, wears baggy clothes, the whole thing. (The hoodlum this is a joke between us.) When people see us together there jaw will sometimes drop. Then when they see him open the door for me, hold my hand and kiss it, or any of a hundred sweet, loving, gentlemanly things he does for me, and other woman (as in hold the door for them, stand when they come to the table), the need to pick there jaws off the floor.

I have also been stared at due to my weight at times. People tend not to believe that I will walk into a place like I own it because I am fat. I am slowly loosing weight but strangers do not know this. They only see me as I am right now.

I do not see any of us as freaks or misfits, I see us as honest as who we are not what someone else wants us too be. (Mind you if I cold have a couple of piercings I would, but cant do to allergies and cant afford pure gold, so sad!!! And I would have more tattoos except for lack of money, even sadder!!!)
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I used to get weird looks.

So I moved to a more progressive town.

Problem solved.
  • IndianMuslim
    IndianMuslim Posts: 154
    Options
    All the time since I started wearing a scarf. It's just an article of clothing, but it brings about so much attention. It's funny how girls wearing next to nothing don't get as much attention as girls who are covered up. Go figure.
  • heidihunt357
    heidihunt357 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love that story. That happens to my hubby all the time. But at this point we will ask if they want a picture to examine the tattoo at their earliest convenience because we can's stick around any more. Or he will ask if they have any questions. It is so much fun when they either realize and hurry off, or actually ask questions or take a picture. We don't ask rudely or anything, but sometimes it is fun to rattle others.
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    People think I am mad a cop or bouncer
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    The only times I get stares is when I go out of my way to get them.
    I will sometimes wear my collar out in public, I get some really fun looks then, especially if I have the leash attached to it. :laugh:

Also when I have our pet snake around my neck, that is always a fun time.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You live in OK im not surprised you get weird looks. I get them too,or I get a lot of people coming up to tell me im going to hell.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm sure people have given me weird looks. But I don't really care or pay attention to how others look at me. They have every bit as much right to give weird looks as I have to wear or do whatever prompted the look.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I get the sideways looks from old people. I see them staring at my tattoos from the corner of their eyes. As if I would attack them if they looked at them dead on lol
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    The cape tends to attract attention.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    People think I am mad a cop or bouncer

From your photo, I would have thought law enforcement.
  • BeingKevin
    BeingKevin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have thought a lot about this lately. As a morbidly obese middle aged man who recently started running I often get some strange looks by people out or about as I slowly pass by. You can’t help but wonder what they are thinking – do they laugh as you go buy, or silently appreciate what you are doing? I am sure there is a little of both but either way there is only one real reaction – I just keep running.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My husband and I attend a lot of Ren faires/reenactments, so it's not uncommon for either of us to get odd looks and/or outright staring when seen in our garb outside of an event. I find it rather amusing, actually. Last summer, I was in the ladies' room at a rest stop on the interstate, dressed in full pirate regalia, when a little girl (3, maybe 4 years old?) turned to her mother and said "Mommy - is that lady a princess?" The mother looked me up and down, and replied "No honey, she's just... weird." (said with a smirk)

I turned to the little girl, and told her "I'm not a princess, I'm a pirate. And your mommy? Well, she's just an old lady with no imagination who has forgotten how to play make-believe. Remember that growing up doesn't mean that you're not allowed to have any fun." I then handed her a string of beads from my belt pouch, stuck my tongue out at her mother, then strolled out. :laugh: