Do you work out during your period?

Options

Replies

• caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Despite the cramps/bloating, I really fight with myself to still work out.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am...

pain or not i'm going to jog or work out. It actually helps me.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    Ladies, I've got a question for you... Do you exercise during your bad week of the month? I've got usually so much pain that I slow down in all the activities I do but I'm affraid that if I stop exercising four or five days, I won't be able to catch up... :angry:

not usually on the first day as it's too painful but after that I'm fine as long as I keep well hydrated. Everyone is different though... some women hardly cramp at all, lucky for them! :grumble:

If you are suffering for the whole of your period why not try something gentler... yoga or long walks... I actually find exercise helps with the pain and the bad mood :laugh:

lol I am one of those women but I would say I actually don't cramp at all.

there have been a few occasions over the years where there is a slight tightening in my abdomen but I still work out and I find it helps actually

and I have heard that exercise does help with the cramping - however being one that doesn't cramp or PMS at all I cannot verify that really
  • krissy5686
    krissy5686 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do. I find that it gives me more energy throughout the day when I'd normally just feel groggy. However, if your normal exercise is too much on those days, you could do something a bit less intense, like talking a walk or doing stretches/yoga.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yes on most days...of course there are usually one or two days during that time, (and I'm one of those "lucky" girls whose lasts for 7+ days) when its just too heavy to work out even if I double up on protection so I don't feel guilty about taking that time if I need to.
  • djman1967
    djman1967 Posts: 14
    Options
    If I am in my creative period, then no because I need to focus all of my energies on my creation. If I am in a reflective period, than possibly, but I have to listen to gentle music. . . sorry ladies. Not trying to make light of what y'all go through. Just thought that maybe I could make someone smile!!=) Have a great day!!
  • bio01979
    Options
    I absolutely do. I find that it gives me more energy throughout the day when I'd normally just feel groggy. However, if your normal exercise is too much on those days, you could do something a bit less intense, like talking a walk or doing stretches/yoga.

there was actually an old wives tale (I say this because I am sure it has never been proven/studied) when I was a competitive swimmer that your times could be faster during because of the hormones - I have no idea why they would say that and I am sure any evidence of that was psychosomatic :P
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I won't workout on the first two days especially if I'm feeling faint, which is most months in my case. But I have found that walks and other light workouts do help with the cramps and moodiness.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    The only thing I do differently is avoid the ocean; I'm afraid of shark attacks.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I didn't for years because my bleeding was so excessive I couldn't function. Had a procedure done and I'm now loving exercise during my periods again.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The only thing I do differently is avoid the ocean; I'm afraid of shark attacks.

anchorman-bears.gif
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Despite the cramps/bloating, I really fight with myself to still work out.
  • rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If I've been eating healthy and doing intense workouts on a regular basis for a long time, I no longer get cramps. I actually forget about my period till I use the bathroom! I haven't got to that point again yet, but am def looking forward to it.

Also I have read studies that says your pain tolerance is naturally higher during you period, so it's a perfect time to push hard!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am so moody during that time, I need the exercise endorphins just to feel sort of like myself. However, there is usually one day per month where if I move wrong I will have a leak, so that day - no gym time.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm going to have my period EVERY month until menopause, so might as well buck up and deal with it. All my other daily activities have to continue when i have it, so why make an exception for working out?
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I dont get my period anymore..woot woot

Lucky *kitten*. :grumble: :explode:

I do.. but only on 'light' days.. I don't want to go TMI.. but some days.. 'moving' at all just isn't happening. :noway:

I have been thinking about using it as a 'rest week'.. but I'm on bc and it is finally getting easier.. so we shall see! Every girly time is different for every girl.. some of us cannot handle our periods and some just breeze through and make the rest of us want to trip them with sticks!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

anchorman-bears.gif

Eff. Now I have to avoid the woods too. I will just lock myself up in my house and not move during that time.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    went for a run this morning and told myself i could take it easy because it's my TOM... ended up with my fastest time yet. guess I can't be using that as an excuse any more!!!
  • bio01979
    Options
    I dont get my period anymore..woot woot

Lucky *kitten*. :grumble: :explode:

I do.. but only on 'light' days.. I don't want to go TMI.. but some days.. 'moving' at all just isn't happening. :noway:

I have been thinking about using it as a 'rest week'.. but I'm on bc and it is finally getting easier.. so we shall see! Every girly time is different for every girl.. some of us cannot handle our periods and some just breeze through and make the rest of us want to trip them with sticks!

lol remind me not to be around you when there are sticks around :P
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    So I don't hurt people.