Do you work out during your period?

Options

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I usually do. It depends on how I'm feeling on the first day or 2, but usually I'll do something. I get severe cramps at the very beginning to the point where I'm curled in a ball screaming with tears rolling down my face so it's hard to really do anything at all. My doctor actually had to prescribe hydrocodone because standard OTC painkillers weren't cutting it. Usually if I can get the pain cut down low enough and am not feeling dizzy/loopy from the drugs, I'll work out.

Actually I just had to deal with day 1 and severe cramps yesterday. After taking my drugs and laying on the couch most of the afternoon, I was feeling better and really wanted to go run so I did. It's really just a mood thing. If I'm in the mood, I'll do it; if I'm not, I won't*.

*TWSS :wink:
  • TheVeganFrenchie
    Options
    Thaaaaanks people! You're all inspiring!
    Merci :smile:
  • TinaRoberts67
    TinaRoberts67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes on most days...of course there are usually one or two days during that time, (and I'm one of those "lucky" girls whose lasts for 7+ days) when its just too heavy to work out even if I double up on protection so I don't feel guilty about taking that time if I need to.

I am too, really sucks. Dang the doctor for taking me off birth control due to my age...ugh
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If my bleeding is excessive, like go through in one hour (which yes really happens) then NO because ICK. If I have cramps, I find that exercise helps. Although sometimes my workouts aren't as full out during as they would be on a normal day.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Yep... usually not as often and not as high intensity... but I try to get my butt to the gym anyway.
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    Personally, excercise helps relieve my cramps and general sh*tty mood at that TOM, but sometimes I'm too crampy/irritated and just don't feel like doing it, so I take a day off. On those off days I try to do yoga with breathing excercises for 30 minutes or so, I find that I feel better with a little stretching. And some days I can channel that irritability into my workouts, esp. if it's a weight-lifting day, makes me feel like Wonder Woman, lol.
  • OliveDouglas
    Options
    Normally, I workout with it. I find that it slows it down and makes me feel better. It's when I stop working out that I feel crappy again :-( But if you don't feel well and really sick, I wouldn't go.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Yes, I work out every day of my TOM. Lots of water the week prior and working out the week of seems to help me with bloating and other symptoms but honestly I rarely ever have pain so I don't know if they would help with pain or not. You might try taking some ibuprofin or other pain reliever before working out to minimize your discomfort.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I do, it helps the cramping, and fight the sluggish feeling you get.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Mine is taking a break (menopausal, idk) but I have pcos
    and pain and shedding can be pretty bad. I usually go
    by how bad they are and look for lower impact routines
    or just sit it out, like the good old days in girls P.E. lol
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    So I don't hurt people.

Exactly.
  • Sindakhelekwen
    Sindakhelekwen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do exercise during my shark week. It actually helps with the cramps if they're really bad.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I really don't know how anyone can ask this question seriously. OF COURSE WORK OUT! And do everything else that you do at all times of the month. You are not dying. It's a freaking period.

(Unless there's some kind of medical issue, or whatever).
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    I don't really get any cramping or pain during my period, just lots of bloating and I get really really hungry. So yes, I work out during my period.

OP, are debilitating periods like yours normal? Sorry, I have no idea. My TOM has always been uneventful and I've never had kids.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i work out during my period...being active helps me alleviate the pain, and i feel i have more super powers during that time...lol
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Have you not seen the adverts? Apparantly during our periods we can ski, handglide, moutain climb, wrestle with cougars, which is amazing because I cant do any of that s**t when Im not on my period. Power Periods!

Period. Because I dont think I said period enough above.

Serious note, I do yoga during that week for cramps, ease back on the cardio but up the lifting xx

OMG! I am laughing my *kitten* off!
  • wcso911mn
    wcso911mn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I dont get my period anymore..woot woot

Me neither. But, then again, not having a uterus is probably why. :smile:
  • fhargis0002
    fhargis0002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes, it really helps actually. I have bad ones, with horrible mood swings, cravings, etc, working out has helped me curb that stuff a lot.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I do, but my periods don't tend to be very bad. If you're having trouble, but still want to be active, you could just ease up a bit. Go for a walk or something.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    If I am in my creative period, then no because I need to focus all of my energies on my creation. If I am in a reflective period, than possibly, but I have to listen to gentle music. . . sorry ladies. Not trying to make light of what y'all go through. Just thought that maybe I could make someone smile!!=) Have a great day!!

The bigger question is why are you even reading posts about menstrual pain/working out?!?