1 stone to loose by Feb the 1st.

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm not arguing with you all.

I disagree completely.

Of course I would take the advice of a qualified doctor over people that google.

There's a difference between people who go and study for 4/5 years and people who go and look on Google and then think they are just as qualified.

I believe I am initialed to my own option here.

You'd all tell me my diet is too low and wrong etc. But I feel healthier, fitter, I've lost weight, my skin and hair is much better.

So how many calories are you eating a day?
  • Slimdownmb
    Slimdownmb Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Slimdownmb wrote: »
    If my GP gave me the "diet" plan cited by the OP, I'd laugh. When they told me to do it for the rest of my life, I'd laugh all the way out the door on my way to find a new doctor.

I honestly was so shocked, i laughed and said to her, you cant be serious. She was totally serious. Sad really...

So we agree that you know better than your gp

So what you going to do now?

I'm going to do exactly what i said - Loose 1 stone in 4 weeks... nothing has changed.
    I regret making this post and I've learnt a valuable lesson from it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If my GP gave me the "diet" plan cited by the OP, I'd laugh. When they told me to do it for the rest of my life, I'd laugh all the way out the door on my way to find a new doctor.

I honestly was so shocked, i laughed and said to her, you cant be serious. She was totally serious. Sad really...

I'm going to do exactly what i said - Loose 1 stone in 4 weeks... nothing has changed.

Fair enough

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I disagree completely.

Of course I would take the advice of a qualified doctor over people that google.

There's a difference between people who go and study for 4/5 years and people who go and look on Google and then think they are just as qualified.

You'd all tell me my diet is too low and wrong etc. But I feel healthier, fitter, I've lost weight, my skin and hair is much better.

Are we going to cover what they study for that 4-5 years, or is it just that they went to school for 4-5 years?

Me, I'll take the advice of people who still study and renew their knowledge of fitness and nutrition as a part of their lifestyle, job, etc...rather than someone who took it as a semester class the 2nd year of 10 years worth of school (would be nice to get a phd in 4-5 years though, wouldn't it?), but I guess that's just me I guess....

I mean, we're still talking about this meal plan, right....that the OP was advised to eat everyday?

Breakfast - all bran/cornflakes with milk, and fruit
    Lunch - Tuna/Egg Salad
    Dinner - Lean Meat salad or veg
    snacks - raw veg.. or fruit
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

I disagree completely.

Are we going to cover what they study for that 4-5 years, or is it just that they went to school for 4-5 years?

Me, I'll take the advice of people who still study and renew their knowledge of fitness and nutrition as a part of their lifestyle, job, etc...rather than someone who took it as a semester class the 2nd year of 10 years worth of school (would be nice to get a phd in 4-5 years though, wouldn't it?), but I guess that's just me I guess....

I mean, we're still talking about this meal plan, right....that the OP was advised to eat everyday?

Lunch - Tuna/Egg Salad

Methinks that would be a lot for Beth. I'm guessing this is hitting a sore spot because she eats a VLCD and doesn't like people advocating against them.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    So dissapointed right now,
    There are carbs in veg - obviously i ment unhealthy starchy processed carbs.

How about i don't bother at all. I wouldn't set myself this goal if i think think i could achieve it, keep it off and do it in a safe and enjoyable way.

I fail to see how a deficit of 2000 kcal every day is in any way enjoyable or safe.

So are you suggesting i eat 2000 calories every single day?
    If so - why am i on mfp, since even they are suggesting 1580...
    I'm more interested in the stuff i put in my body is clean and healthy, reducing carbs and sugar, increasing exercise and water intake. There is nothing wrong with it i've been doing this for the past 6 weeks - the only difference in what i want to do now is up my exercise and drop my calories slightly for 3 and half weeks.

Everyone here is so quick to criticize. All i was looking for was some hints and tips and everyones just made me feel *kitten* about it. So cheers guys thanks for the support.

No you don't get it.

To lose a pound one must have a calories deficit of 3500. so 3 pounds in a week would be 10500 calorie deficit and 4 pounds in a week would be 14.000 - or 2000 per day.

To get to a 2000 calorie deficit per day then you would have to eat/exercise such that your body was using 2000 cal more than you eat. Now that is easier when one is larger because your body just uses more fuel to survive. When I started in the mid 400s my maintenance level was over 3000 calories per day.

Exercise uses some calories, and is really important for maintaining muscle tone and mass, but the main way we lose weight is by eating less. Your calorie goal is pretty low and may be doable, but even at that you probably cannot exercise enough to generate a 2000 per day deficit. For example at my size walking at a brisk pace (4mph)burns something like 150 cal per mile.

No one is trying to discourage you. What I am reading is folks trying to make sure that your goals will work and that you will not get discouraged if you do not meet them.

I am 120 pounds into a 200 pound weight loss goal. I have been at this for 24 months and figure I have another 18-24 to go. I started out just trying to maintain, then ramped up to .5 pound per week loss, then 1 pond per week and now 1.5 pound per week loss calorie goal. I don't measure my food the best so I am hitting about 1 pound per week - which is fine for me.

I figure I didn't get fat overnight - it took 25 years - so I'm OK with taking some time to lose it as long as I can keep it off. I've done quick weight loss attempts before and always gained it all back and more when I went away from the methods that just were not sustainable over the long haul. What I am doing now is a complete re-thinking of what and how I eat and how I structure my day so that I move around more. this is not a change to make weight - it is a total change in the way I live. that way I can continue it.

Good luck and we are pulling for you.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I disagree completely.

That's like honestly saying a person with a doctorate in applied physics, would be more qualified than a chef who was no culinary training but has been cooking for numerous years and learned through trial and error and applied what he/she learned throughout the years because of that one cooking class the applied physics Doctor took his freshman year to teach a cooking class.

Logic fail...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Do some progressive resistance work and make sure you hit adequate protein to preserve as much LBM as you can ..at your weight that should be a minimum of 150g ish
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

What is it you find so disheartening about people encouraging you to have more realistic goals that are attainable and sustainable in the long run? How will you feel when Feb 1 comes around if you haven't lost a stone?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

I disagree completely.

Lunch - Tuna/Egg Salad

Methinks that would be a lot for Beth. I'm guessing this is hitting a sore spot because she eats a VLCD and doesn't like people advocating against them.

Ah, that's some helpful insight right there.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I don't think I saw the reason for the time limit, but I did skim. Just wanted to share my personal opinion:

I completely get wanting to start out with quick loss, get pumped for being awesome, and then level out and continue on. It's a great theory, and tons of programs and people try it out (hence why "cleanses" are so popular). The problem I found is that I suck at rules, and eating very little makes me hangry (angry because I'm hungry). Seriously, my fiance will look at me when I start getting really annoyed at everything and ask if I need to eat something. I try to stick with a plan, and then I end up binging, feeling horrible about myself, and I give up.

I've done it over and over and over again. And one day, it clicked (when enough people on this site yelled at me). It doesn't have to be fast, there don't have to be rules, and there isn't a time limit. I need to make sustainable changes so that I don't feel like there's a "wagon" to fall off of repeatedly. And I'm really working on my feelings when I do have high days (my holidays this year were ridiculous). Self loathing does nothing.

As someone else pointed out (but you may have misunderstood), to lose 4lbs of fat per week, you would need to eat 2000 calories less than you burn each and every day. That is VERY low. And really, it's not going to be sustainable.

I would recommend setting MFP to lose two pounds a week. You will likely lose scale weight faster than that because you will lose some water weight. You may not lose the full stone, but you can make a really good start; and you will keep going.

Good luck!
  • Slimdownmb
    Options

I disagree completely.

I appreciate you voicing your opinion, tbh my doctor is an idiot. Yes what she has suggested would work, but i would loose weight at such a fast rate, i also wouldn't be very happy doing this, as i still like to have cheat meals, go out with my friends for drinks ect ect.. which she didn't take into account.

I honestly believe as long as the stuff your putting into your body is healthy and clean you will see a difference.
    I've not set myself any time of long term goal, i just want to be able to feel comfortable with my own body and not feel uncomfortable and self conscious. I'm perfectly happy with what i'm doing.. its clearly working i've manged to keep 33lbs off so far, i'm still going and i'm consistently loosing weight. The doctor was wrong, and most of these people on here think i want a quick fix.. which is incorrect. They just don't understand, not because their stupid, but honestly because they just want to find fault and come across intelligent.. If you actually read what my first post says. It is literally the most harmless post, very honest and motivational, just was looking for some friendly tips and tricks, not to be judged and made to feel like an idiot.

• tincanonastring
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I disagree completely.

That's like honestly saying a person with a doctorate in applied physics, would be more qualified than a chef who was no culinary training but has been cooking for numerous years and learned through trial and error and applied what he/she learned throughout the years because of that one cooking class the applied physics Doctor took his freshman year to teach a cooking class.

Logic fail...

Not so much a logic fail as the fact that it was never in this thread to start with.
  • Slimdownmb
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

What is it you find so disheartening about people encouraging you to have more realistic goals that are attainable and sustainable in the long run? How will you feel when Feb 1 comes around if you haven't lost a stone?

Why are you so sure 1 stone in 4 weeks isnt realistic... 1 stone to you may be significant, when you have 10-12 stone to loose... its not that much.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    2lbs
    What weekly rate of loss did you put in your MFP settings for a 1580 calorie per day goal?

2lbs - its the most u can do ...

Yet you want to lose at twice that rate. What you are saying you want to do requires a deficit of 2000 calories below tour maintenance level ... an intake of under 600 calories per day. That is why people are noting your goal is unrealistic ... it is supporting HEALTHY weight loss, not foolish and unsafe approaches.

I just felt the bold part needed repeating... What more anyone can say is beyond me...

I actually don't even understand why you've commented on this post, you've have nothing to say that is actually informative or helpful. I may not agree with what the others are saying but at least they are talking about something.. whether i agree with it or not is invalid.

It was a bad idea posting this discussion - my fault, didn't think it through

Let me explain more fully my point now that I have more time and don't have a kid to prepare for school.

The bolded part I was repeating is according to me the key to the whole discussion - what you are attempting to do requires a really, really high deficit. More than is healthy for you and more than is reasonable. Once the extent of that deificit, and what it would truely entail if you could create it - in terms of hunger and poor nutrition and all their consequences - sinks in for you, I really don't think there is much one can say to convince you. That is why I repeated it - to my dry logical mind that was (and is) the best argument.

What is helpful and informative to you is up to you to say, and whether we attempt to give you our honest and well-meaning opinion at tne risk of making you angry is up to us, even though some express them better than others. You actually got so many responses because people care. Including me. And because too many people fixate on losing an unhealthy amount of weight in an unrealistic time frame and the results are always so sad.

I do hope you don't rage-quit the forums and I would feel sad if I though I had contributed to your doing so. There is a lot to learn here and there are many inspiring success stories on this site. Most of the people who now have the rocking bodies and lift heavy or run races and have been maintaining for years seem to have done it slowly and reasonably, one step at a time - there might be some exceptions.
  • bethclabburn
    bethclabburn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Technically I am right as they have the qualification. The all important piece of paper. In a job world it's qualifications first... That's what I was always told anyways.

What does it matter what I'm eating a day?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Why are you so sure 1 stone in 4 weeks isnt realistic... 1 stone to you may be significant, when you have 10-12 stone to loose... its not that much.

The math has been pointed out several times.

14 lbs in 4 weeks means losing 1/2 lb per day. Assuming your aim is to primarily lose fat, that equates to a calorie deficit of 1750-2000 calories per day.

I don't know what your caloric burn is on a given day, but let's say it's probably somewhere around 2800 calories. That means your diet would need to be a total intake of somewhere around 800-1000 calories per day to achieve the calorie deficit.

Eating a prolonged (and yes, 4 weeks for this purpose would be prolonged) diet of that few calories per day is going to leave you short of essential nutrients and energy.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Technically I am right as they have the qualification. The all important piece of paper. In a job world it's qualifications first... That's what I was always told anyways.

They do not have a qualification for nutritional advice. What's so hard to understand? They do not learn about nutrition any more than a high school student.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Many of us also have important pieces of paper that represent equal amounts of nutrition training.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    OP, I am really sorry that you feel picked on and discouraged. I really am. I think it is great that you were motivated and cheerful before and I'm sad that this thread has changed that.

But please realize that the people who are responding are doing so because they WANT TO SEE YOU SUCCEED. They really do. There is just concern that your goal and timeline is not the healthiest way to do so.

Many people have done what you want to do, and many people have gained it all back. Many of the people responding have been on the endless yoyo of up and down, and are trying to help you do it in a way that is manageable, sustainable and enjoyable.

In the end, you do what you need to do, but I really ask that you not dismiss the comments here without stopping and thinking about them.

I know when I get criticism, I shut down and get angry... but if I stop and think about it... a lot of times I realize it's because that criticism has an element of truth I need to hear.

Good luck.