"Making a Murderer" on Netflix

Options
hamptontom
hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
(I went back seven pages and didn't see any similarly themed threads...hope this isn't a duplicate)

Anybody else watching this?

Being a multipart documentary, I don't know how "anti-spoilerish" we need to be, as you can get a synopsis of what actually happened in 30 seconds with a web browser pointed at The Google, so...

I'll start out by saying that while I understand why people would want to sign petitions regarding this guys' incarceration status, I'm not sure why a bigger groundswell hasn't emerged to formally go after the Sheriff and District Attorney who pushed him into prison the first time around...I don't think anybody can argue that sufficient evidence doesn't exist to show that they purposely ignored evidence and hung that guy out to dry the first time around.

Is this show pissing anyone else off, or is it just me?

Replies

• wortez
    wortez Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/arts/television/ken-kratz-making-a-murderer.html?_r=0
    Apparently the doc left out details to fit the narrative.

• Norcohydro
    Norcohydro Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sure.. If you believe that deviant.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Yeah let's all get on the bandwagon.
    #Kony2012
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    wortez wrote: »
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/arts/television/ken-kratz-making-a-murderer.html?_r=0
    Apparently the doc left out details to fit the narrative.

yeah, Kratz is making the talk-show circuit repeating the same talking points...but the stuff that they left out was pretty trivial, compared to what they actually included.

Methinks he doth protest too much.

And, frankly - I haven't even gotten far enough into this thing to get too caught up in the second trial...but it's pretty obvious that they conspired to give him the shaft the first time around.

...regardless of his deviant status.
  • sw33tp3a15
    sw33tp3a15 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    I have 2 episodes left to watch.

It hasn't pissed me off. It has only left me speechless a couple of times. It just made me aware how people with authority are manipulating the system and how many other innocent people could be behind bars.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether or not he actually did it, it was up to the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he had done it. The documentary did a great job of showing how much reasonable doubt was shown to the jury. The fact that there were people on the jury that had connections to the police department and the defence couldn't replace them didn't give him a chance at a fair trial.
  • april27kelli
    april27kelli Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I just wanna know if Brendan ever got to see WrestleMania...
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I just wanna know if Brendan ever got to see WrestleMania...

Lol. That's clever.
  • hazman81
    hazman81 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are wether he is guilty or not there is a lot of shady things done by mantaowoc sheriff dept! That do not make them look good
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Reality is so much more frightening than Fiction could ever try to be.
    My jaw dropped a good 20 times watching this series.
    Un-friggen-believable.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It's scary as heck.

I wonder about what really happened...and would be shocked if those deputies didn't have something to do with it.

It also was a reminder about how different the regions of the US are...I barely recognize the way those people live. So different from either coast.
  • kiddiebqueen17
    kiddiebqueen17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    All the staff at the school I work in were talking about it last week. Had no idea what it was all about so I watched the first epslisode during my last treadmill workout.
  • JuneGem6471
    JuneGem6471 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I didn't think the state proved "beyond a reasonable doubt " I felt there was plenty of doubt with evidence tampering alone, so much of the state's case didn't add up
  • nomorefatgirl78
    nomorefatgirl78 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    We watched it over the weekend and I've never been so pissed off over something on tv as much as this. I haven't googled anything about it but am curious if a child psychologist was called in to give Brendan an eval, why a body language expert was not called to talk about the cops in question's testimonies and whether an expert regarding how exactly that blood could've been transferred and pooled the way it was by the ignition. I worked in law enforcement for 5 years (until the stress got the better of me) and I will honestly say that there are so much cover ups that go on to cover somebody's *kitten* for something, it's unreal.
  • jlisa24
    jlisa24 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I got about 35 mins in and was bored and fell asleep. I am not sure how everyone got so,into it ita like a long drawn out anticlimactic CSI: The Boonies.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    Options
    Detectives are good at manipulation when interrogating. While I would say that the majority of perps will try to minimize their involvement in any crime, getting them to admit to doing things they probably didn't do is part of a detective's resume.
    The problem here is that people SHOULDN'T speak with detectives on a serious crime without a lawyer. I don't care if they are flat out innocent or not, a good detective will get you to say or confess to things that didn't involve you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I'd like to think that the documentary was one-sided and left out important details, because the thought of our justice system actually doing that to someone just sickens me.
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Detectives are good at manipulation when interrogating. While I would say that the majority of perps will try to minimize their involvement in any crime, getting them to admit to doing things they probably didn't do is part of a detective's resume.
    The problem here is that people SHOULDN'T speak with detectives on a serious crime without a lawyer. I don't care if they are flat out innocent or not, a good detective will get you to say or confess to things that didn't involve you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Especially when they are as smart as a bag of hammers
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options
    This was a good one. Reminded me of the Paradise Lost ones that HBO did about the West Memphis Three.
    My main question is, where the hell was the DNA evidence???? There would have been so much blood. The whole thing is beyond shady. I hope they make this a regular series though, because it was very interesting.