"Making a Murderer" on Netflix

Options

Replies

• tonileigh820
    tonileigh820 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I watched the first 5 episodes a few weeks ago because everyone was raving about it so much. I found it pretty slow and boring and couldn't pay attention enough to stick with it. I felt like they could have condensed it into a few hours.

There was a lot of stuff left out of the documentary which makes me have little doubt that he did it, but I still think the sheriff's office and DA were shady as hell and probably screwed with or planted evidence. I'm not sure whether or not he should have been convicted (separate from whether he was guilty) because I didn't follow closely enough to see what was and was not allowed in at trial. The situation is crazy, the first trial and his incarceration were horrible, and everyone involved on the state/DA side seems pretty horrible. But, I still don't sympathize much with Avery and can't imagine he didn't do it.

I sympathize with him no matter what considering the state screwed him out of 18 years of his life for something they had proof he didn't do!
  • brillmer87
    brillmer87 Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    the part that bothers me the most is the fact that Lenk and Colborne were ALL OVER the murder case.. when they were being SUED BY HIM... it's a complete conflict of interest

they never should have been anywhere near the case.. not to mention finding all the KEY pieces of evidences (see what i did there?)
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I watched the first 5 episodes a few weeks ago because everyone was raving about it so much. I found it pretty slow and boring and couldn't pay attention enough to stick with it. I felt like they could have condensed it into a few hours.

There was a lot of stuff left out of the documentary which makes me have little doubt that he did it, but I still think the sheriff's office and DA were shady as hell and probably screwed with or planted evidence. I'm not sure whether or not he should have been convicted (separate from whether he was guilty) because I didn't follow closely enough to see what was and was not allowed in at trial. The situation is crazy, the first trial and his incarceration were horrible, and everyone involved on the state/DA side seems pretty horrible. But, I still don't sympathize much with Avery and can't imagine he didn't do it.

I sympathize with him no matter what considering the state screwed him out of 18 years of his life for something they had proof he didn't do!

No you're right on that- that is horrible and no matter what he can never be repaid for that. I guess with that in mind I thought I would feel a lot worse for him though. But of course you could argue that being wrongfully imprisoned made him into a murderer if he did do it.
  • tonileigh820
    Options

No you're right on that- that is horrible and no matter what he can never be repaid for that. I guess with that in mind I thought I would feel a lot worse for him though. But of course you could argue that being wrongfully imprisoned made him into a murderer if he did do it.

that could be argued. personally, i think if he did do it, he did it thinking "they won't come after me again after all they put me through, now that the world knows I was innocent and the police knew it...I can get away with murder!" literally.
  • tonileigh820
    Options
    brillmer87 wrote: »
    the part that bothers me the most is the fact that Lenk and Colborne were ALL OVER the murder case.. when they were being SUED BY HIM... it's a complete conflict of interest

they never should have been anywhere near the case.. not to mention finding all the KEY pieces of evidences (see what i did there?)

yep! and that alone is reason enough for a not guilty verdict
  • brillmer87
    edited January 2016
    Options

yep! and that alone is reason enough for a not guilty verdict

REASONABLE DOUBT

i could write a book on everything that's wrong with that trial lol
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I just wanna know if Brendan ever got to see WrestleMania...

I cried when he said that :'(
  • JessicaJS23
    Options
    If you guys enjoyed watching this I highly recommend watching the documentaries they made on the case of the West Memphis 3. I believe it's 3 separate parts. Same astonishing BS with the legal system.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    If you guys enjoyed watching this I highly recommend watching the documentaries they made on the case of the West Memphis 3. I believe it's 3 separate parts. Same astonishing BS with the legal system.

I have watched that as well. Todd Moore is a shady cat. I watch hours and hours of trial movies, live trials, documentaries, read books. My favorite Author is John Grisham. I doubt there is any major case that I haven't watched, in some capacity. I guess you could say.. I was a knats *kitten* away from going to law school. Then real life happened. :)
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I watched every episode, then did Google searches. They left out some important information, which would have fewer people requesting that he be pardoned.
  • brillmer87
    Options
    niamibunni wrote: »
    I watched every episode, then did Google searches. They left out some important information, which would have fewer people requesting that he be pardoned.

and who told you that they left out important information?
    was it kratz by any chance?

and which evidence was actually evidence, and not something that easily could have been fabricated or made up?
  • JessicaJS23
    Options
    kchuskey wrote: »

I have watched that as well. Todd Moore is a shady cat. I watch hours and hours of trial movies, live trials, documentaries, read books. My favorite Author is John Grisham. I doubt there is any major case that I haven't watched, in some capacity. I guess you could say.. I was a knats *kitten* away from going to law school. Then real life happened. :)

It's never too late sir!!! I took criminal justice for extra college credits and fell in love unfortunately it would have taken me nowhere in this town if I pursued it. Tell me of any other recommendations if you have them.
  • kchuskey
    Options
    niamibunni wrote: »

and who told you that they left out important information?
    was it kratz by any chance?

and which evidence was actually evidence, and not something that easily could have been fabricated or made up?

I can only presume she is talking about some of this...

https://youtu.be/2IpalmgaUKc
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    i watched the whole show. it's disgusting how corrupt that town is. i'd like to meet the jury who heard both cases and ask them how speculation and shaky evidence beats the truth of science! i hate this show it makes me so angry.

and how they used brendan because he's so impressionable. ugh. all of those officers ought to be thrown in a pit and have cement poured over their screaming, dying bodies.

:#
  • kchuskey
    Options

It's never too late sir!!! I took criminal justice for extra college credits and fell in love unfortunately it would have taken me nowhere in this town if I pursued it. Tell me of any other recommendations if you have them.

Have you watched the Jodi Arias stuff? Not the made for TV movie, but the actual criminal trial? I watched the entire trial, and if you are into that sort of thing, then it's amazing. Graphic, and horrific yes, but loved the way Martinez tried to prosecute her. (Which he did), and again in the sentencing. (She should have gotten death penalty). It's all available on Youtube. Let me know if you are interested, and I can give you the author's name and channel.
  • fit4life_78
    fit4life_78 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I could not even believe what I was watching when I saw this series.....I think around episode 5 or so, I'm like....whether he was a killer or not, the way the case was handled again was completely wrong and the judge should have thrown out the whole case, and probably seek negligence charges against the sheriffs office!! The whole thing is sickening I think
  • JessicaJS23
    Options

Have you watched the Jodi Arias stuff? Not the made for TV movie, but the actual criminal trial? I watched the entire trial, and if you are into that sort of thing, then it's amazing. Graphic, and horrific yes, but loved the way Martinez tried to prosecute her. (Which he did), and again in the sentencing. (She should have gotten death penalty). It's all available on Youtube. Let me know if you are interested, and I can give you the author's name and channel.

Yes I kept up with all that as it was going on! Crazy stuff
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not surprised at human failings in our criminal justice system--there are some pretty saddening documentaries (Scottsboro boys: an American Tragedy; Central Park Five; Incident at Oglala...to name a few) about other incidents. And Serial's success as a podcast shows we might be interested in reform, perhaps?
  • kchuskey
    Options

Yes I kept up with all that as it was going on! Crazy stuff

Or.... Read this book! If you like to read, or haven't already.

fnr6s27240hl.jpg