I've dropped 90lbs before...let's go again.

Options

Replies

• beardybuddha73
    beardybuddha73 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Exactly man. I'm crazy. Most people can't just do things cold turkey and never touch them again. I chewed tobacco for 7 years and I haven't touched the stuff in 3 years. And I'll never touch it again.

For me it's all about reprogramming my brain to not want or even really like pizza. Because like the tobacco, I know I'm not trying my best to be healthy if it's still in my life.

But I'm just a binging failure so what do I know haha
  • beardybuddha73
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    clobern80 wrote: »
    Because if I keep eating that stuff while I'm trying to lose I'll always lose more of it. I have to be cut and dry. I have to go cold turkey on things. It's just how my brain works.

The reason I gained some back is because I just stopped living the healthy lifestyle that had me down 90 pounds.

But I still kept most the weight off because I did develop good habits during my weight loss. My main message here is I simply stopped trying and now im trying again.

Everyone is different but some people (like me) have to do it this way.

I apologize for coming off as crass, I guess it was because you said "I'm not trying to be mean but if you really want to be successful:" and then listed off things that not everyone has to do in order to succeed. There are those that truly have to cut things out and that is fine, I just want to let people know they can still succeed without following those rules, much like the others have said. Moderation :)

I do wish you the best, though.

Yeah I should've been more clear to start things out. This is for the folks who have tried to lose while still eating things they like such as pizza.

I knew it'd pry ruffle a few feathers.

Good luck to you too! At least we're all trying!
    Your initial post said that your weren't trying to be mean but, if someone wanted to succeed, they needed to do the things you listed. That's not true. People can succeed just fine without doing those things. There is no one true way.

Your way isn't superior. Or inferior. It's just one way among many. People can succeed doing the things you listed. People can also succeed without doing the things you listed.

Each person needs to experiment to find what works and doesn't work for themselves.

Thank you. I'm not the clearest communicator obviously.
  • beardybuddha73
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Right, what I'm saying is you have already tried this way and failed. Eliminating often leads to binging, which you have proven to be true in your case. Maybe you should try something else rather than trying a plan that has already failed for you?

The plan didn't fail. My will to keep following it failed. And I haven't binged. So idk what you're talking about. Lol.
    Right, what I'm saying is you have already tried this way and failed. Eliminating often leads to binging, which you have proven to be true in your case. Maybe you should try something else rather than trying a plan that has already failed for you?

The plan didn't fail. My will to keep following it failed. And I haven't binged. So idk what you're talking about. Lol.

I call gaining weight back a failure, and a binge. Not sure what time frame you put that back on though, so binge might be a stretch depending on time frame.

25 pounds back over a 5 year period after allowing myself to eat pizza, fried food, soda. And that was after dropping 90 in 14 months. So yeah I suppose it is a failure.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have lost all my excess weight eating everything on your list including beer with moderation. There are no bad foods just too much food. Eliminating foods does not seem to work for you.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Exactly man. I'm crazy. Most people can't just do things cold turkey and never touch them again. I chewed tobacco for 7 years and I haven't touched the stuff in 3 years. And I'll never touch it again.

For me it's all about reprogramming my brain to not want or even really like pizza. Because like the tobacco, I know I'm not trying my best to be healthy if it's still in my life.

Tobacco is a poor comparison as it does harm to your body. Pizza does not. So why would you want to program your brain? If you hit all your macro and micro needs through a wholesome diet, but have some room to spare, why not through in a piece of pizza if you have the calories to use? It's something you like...why deprive yourself?

And good for you. I smoked cigarettes for 20 and threw them away 3 years ago and haven't used them since.

I don't think you are a failure. I just think that maybe the plan isn't right for you since you weren't able to stick with it. That's kinda the point of MFP is to find what works the best for you. Have you tried losing weight on different plans as well?

Look man, do what you want. I was just trying to help. I literally did exactly what you are doing "again" the first time I lost weight. Guess what, I put it back on. Then I learned moderation and have been successful ever since. I dropped 80lbs from 255 to 175 in 9 months and have gotten myself down to 10-11% body fat in that time frame. I can bench 250, squat 350, and deadlift 375. I can also run a 6:00 mile, a 21 minute 5k, a 45 minute 10k, and a 100 mile bike ride in under 7 hours... I have also been maintaining for 2+ years while also improving.... but what do I know haha
  • beardybuddha73
    Options

Tobacco is a poor comparison as it does harm to your body. Pizza does not. So why would you want to program your brain? If you hit all your macro and micro needs through a wholesome diet, but have some room to spare, why not through in a piece of pizza if you have the calories to use? It's something you like...why deprive yourself?

And good for you. I smoked cigarettes for 20 and threw them away 3 years ago and haven't used them since.

I don't think you are a failure. I just think that maybe the plan isn't right for you since you weren't able to stick with it. That's kinda the point of MFP is to find what works the best for you. Have you tried losing weight on different plans as well?

Look man, do what you want. I was just trying to help. I literally did exactly what you are doing "again" the first time I lost weight. Guess what, I put it back on. Then I learned moderation and have been successful ever since. I dropped 80lbs from 255 to 175 in 9 months and have gotten myself down to 10-11% body fat in that time frame. I can bench 250, squat 350, and deadlift 375. I can also run a 6:00 mile, a 21 minute 5k, a 45 minute 10k, and a 100 mile bike ride in under 7 hours... I have also been maintaining for 2+ years while also improving.... but what do I know haha

Well I'm also not planning to be a fitness guru like you've become. Because that's impressive.

I was always the fat kid growing up. So I tried countless ways to lose weight before. I tried the moderation bit for years.

I just always struggled until I went this route. And one of the big reasons I "failed" was my best friend died. I think I would've been able to maintain if that hadn't happened.

Good on ya for the cigs. Nicotine is a B
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Nicotine is a bit different than food. Everyone at some point has to have some form of withdrawal where nicotine stops being in the system at all, to quit using nicotine products.
    The end products of foods are always in your system. If they're not, you're dead, and that's not a solution to anything. So you'll always need to be putting some kind of food in your body.

I do find it interesting that someone with a username that includes the word Buddha would advocate absolutes though.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I agree with you Beardy - I've lost 120 lbs and I'm working on getting down more. Sugar is the enemy and if anyone wants to be truly healthy, you do not eat fast food or garbage food. Just because you can lose weight eating crappy food, doesn't mean you should...

So you are saying it is unhealthy to sometimes have pizza, hamburgers, fried chicken, etc? That is why people fail; when they try to live their entire life without ever eating ice cream, cookies, or fast food. You CAN be healthy eating basically whatever you want as long as it is all in moderation. I never said you should live on a Big Mac diet, but anyone who says you have to go your entire life without ever putting any of those foods in your mouth again is incorrect.

Yes, there are those who choose to be vegan, vegetarian, clean eating, keto, whatever... but that is not the only way to be healthy. You can have delicious things during your lifetime and enjoy them. We all only get one life, no reason in making it a stresser to never eat things you enjoy again.

I'm saying that having that once a month or as a treat isn't bad but working it into your normal diet is not healthy.

Pretty sure I did not say never eating those things again was part of the process. Avoid and resist is what everyone struggles with. We all cave and have cheat days or whatever...that should go without saying.
  • beardybuddha73
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Nicotine is a bit different than food. Everyone at some point has to have some form of withdrawal where nicotine stops being in the system at all, to quit using nicotine products.
    The end products of foods are always in your system. If they're not, you're dead, and that's not a solution to anything. So you'll always need to be putting some kind of food in your body.

I do find it interesting that someone with a username that includes the word Buddha would advocate absolutes though.

Well it's actually Sith Master Buddha. Because only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'll stop haha.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I agree with you Beardy - I've lost 120 lbs and I'm working on getting down more. Sugar is the enemy and if anyone wants to be truly healthy, you do not eat fast food or garbage food. Just because you can lose weight eating crappy food, doesn't mean you should...

So you are saying it is unhealthy to sometimes have pizza, hamburgers, fried chicken, etc? That is why people fail; when they try to live their entire life without ever eating ice cream, cookies, or fast food. You CAN be healthy eating basically whatever you want as long as it is all in moderation. I never said you should live on a Big Mac diet, but anyone who says you have to go your entire life without ever putting any of those foods in your mouth again is incorrect.

Yes, there are those who choose to be vegan, vegetarian, clean eating, keto, whatever... but that is not the only way to be healthy. You can have delicious things during your lifetime and enjoy them. We all only get one life, no reason in making it a stresser to never eat things you enjoy again.

I'm saying that having that once a month isn't bad but working it into your normal diet is not healthy.

Why can't you work it into your normal diet, and what do you mean it isn't healthy? What qualifies as healthy to you?
    I have pizza once a week. I just choose moderation and work it into my calorie budget, as I do all of my food, and personally choose veggie toppings, but that is personal choice, as I have come to prefer veggie pizza now.

It has been working for me for almost 4 years. Maybe not everyone's way of eating, but works for many people.

• mrsdean4
    mrsdean4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What do you plan to do once you've lost the weight so that you'll keep it off this time?

Only cut things out that you'll never eat again. If you plan to eat it again after you've lost the weight, eat it (in moderate amounts) while you lose the weight so that you learn how to work it into your overall lifestyle.

Honestly, weight loss is the easy part when compared to actually keeping it off. I've lost hundreds of pounds over my lifetime. The thing is, they were same pounds over and over again because I didn't learn how to eat at maintenance. I went back to my non-diet foods and the weight crept back.

This time, I'm losing weight by eating the foods I like but less of them. That way, maintenance will just mean having a slightly larger calorie budget than I did while losing.

This is also my plan. I can understand Beardy's all or nothing approach, too. I tend to want to do that, which is great when it is on the ALL side of things, but it really stinks when I decide I'm ready for the NOTHING part. Moderation is what makes the most sense for me right now.

I'd also like to point out that telling anyone else what they should or should not do is not healthy for you or your audience. It sets you both up for disappointment. What works for one person should be celebrated, not used to chastise someone else.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza twice a week...it had carbs, fat and protein...
  • beardybuddha73
    Options
    mrsdean4 wrote: »
    What do you plan to do once you've lost the weight so that you'll keep it off this time?

Only cut things out that you'll never eat again. If you plan to eat it again after you've lost the weight, eat it (in moderate amounts) while you lose the weight so that you learn how to work it into your overall lifestyle.

Honestly, weight loss is the easy part when compared to actually keeping it off. I've lost hundreds of pounds over my lifetime. The thing is, they were same pounds over and over again because I didn't learn how to eat at maintenance. I went back to my non-diet foods and the weight crept back.

This time, I'm losing weight by eating the foods I like but less of them. That way, maintenance will just mean having a slightly larger calorie budget than I did while losing.

This is also my plan. I can understand Beardy's all or nothing approach, too. I tend to want to do that, which is great when it is on the ALL side of things, but it really stinks when I decide I'm ready for the NOTHING part. Moderation is what makes the most sense for me right now.

I'd also like to point out that telling anyone else what they should or should not do is not healthy for you or your audience. It sets you both up for disappointment. What works for one person should be celebrated, not used to chastise someone else.

Mrs. Dean FTW
  • senecarr
    Options
    I eat pizza twice a week...it had carbs, fat and protein...

You're going to be dead by last week eating all that pizza. >:)
  • senecarr
    Options

I'll stop haha.

Well there is a certain element of Buddhist philosophy sprinkled into the creation of Jedi lore by Lucas.
    I'm guessing your name was probably more meant as a reference to Budai, but the original Guatama Buddha created his philosophy after he tried aestheticism. For a while he lived a hermit kind of life style denying himself all pleasures, and practically starving himself. In doing so, he found that just as a life of pure physical pleasure did not provide happiness, neither did one of pure self-denial. To him, happiness takes place in moderation.
  • XxJudge
    XxJudge Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found the long-slow approach over a long period of time to be much better. I have been up and down a lot before in weight. I've finally lost the feeling of needing sugar. I just cut out drinking. I do a combination of Palo/Highfat/High-Carb on Workout days. I don't limit myself to any particular type of food but I've developed a sense of taste for healthy food now and don't have any food that could be considered "bad" in my kitchen. I still eat in and out from time to time and go out and have dinner and have that pizza. It was more of a psychological change than anything. Learning to enjoy the process. I enjoy the gym, I enjoy eating healthy. I don't really crave "bad" food but I do indulge. I think for me this is the healthiest approach and I'm seeing results.
  • beardybuddha73
    Options

I'll stop haha.

Well there is a certain element of Buddhist philosophy sprinkled into the creation of Jedi lore by Lucas.
    I'm guessing your name was probably more meant as a reference to Budai, but the original Guatama Buddha created his philosophy after he tried aestheticism. For a while he lived a hermit kind of life style denying himself all pleasures, and practically starving himself. In doing so, he found that just as a life of pure physical pleasure did not provide happiness, neither did one of pure self-denial. To him, happiness takes place in moderation.

Actually it was because my older cousin had a chubby friend they called Buddha and so they started called me Buddha Jr. It has nothing to do with philosophy.

But I did use many Buddhist ideals to help get over a tragic loss.
  • beardybuddha73
    Options

I'll stop haha.

But that is a killer parable.
  • senecarr
    Options

I'll stop haha.

Actually it was because my older cousin had a chubby friend they called Buddha and so they started called me Buddha Jr. It has nothing to do with philosophy.

But I did use many Buddhist ideals to help get over a tragic loss.

Chubby "buddha" would be Budai.
  • beardybuddha73
    Options
    XxJudge wrote: »
    I found the long-slow approach over a long period of time to be much better. I have been up and down a lot before in weight. I've finally lost the feeling of needing sugar. I just cut out drinking. I do a combination of Palo/Highfat/High-Carb on Workout days. I don't limit myself to any particular type of food but I've developed a sense of taste for healthy food now and don't have any food that could be considered "bad" in my kitchen. I still eat in and out from time to time and go out and have dinner and have that pizza. It was more of a psychological change than anything. Learning to enjoy the process. I enjoy the gym, I enjoy eating healthy. I don't really crave "bad" food but I do indulge. I think for me this is the healthiest approach and I'm seeing results.

Yeah I'm definitely going for the long term approach this time. I like how you said you lost the feeling for sugar.

That's kind of what I'm trying to accomplish. If I give up what i consider bad foods for long enough, that means I won't have it around or feel the urge to order it.

Thanks for sharing.