I've dropped 90lbs before...let's go again.

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Exactly man. I'm crazy. Most people can't just do things cold turkey and never touch them again. I chewed tobacco for 7 years and I haven't touched the stuff in 3 years. And I'll never touch it again.

For me it's all about reprogramming my brain to not want or even really like pizza. Because like the tobacco, I know I'm not trying my best to be healthy if it's still in my life.

But I'm just a binging failure so what do I know haha

Nicotine is a bit different than food. Everyone at some point has to have some form of withdrawal where nicotine stops being in the system at all, to quit using nicotine products.
    The end products of foods are always in your system. If they're not, you're dead, and that's not a solution to anything. So you'll always need to be putting some kind of food in your body.

I do find it interesting that someone with a username that includes the word Buddha would advocate absolutes though.

Well it's actually Sith Master Buddha. Because only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'll stop haha.

Well there is a certain element of Buddhist philosophy sprinkled into the creation of Jedi lore by Lucas.
    I'm guessing your name was probably more meant as a reference to Budai, but the original Guatama Buddha created his philosophy after he tried aestheticism. For a while he lived a hermit kind of life style denying himself all pleasures, and practically starving himself. In doing so, he found that just as a life of pure physical pleasure did not provide happiness, neither did one of pure self-denial. To him, happiness takes place in moderation.

Actually it was because my older cousin had a chubby friend they called Buddha and so they started called me Buddha Jr. It has nothing to do with philosophy.

But I did use many Buddhist ideals to help get over a tragic loss.

Chubby "buddha" would be Budai.

Oh hey, I learned something today:
    buddha-laughingbuddha.jpg

OP, congrats on finding what works for you; as you can see, many people take different approaches to weight loss, so saying "this is what you need to do" is usually not well received here. Instead, say this is what I found works for me (and even some of your later rationale about how cold turkey works better for you because of your personality and failing at moderation) can head off things that you may be taking as attacks on you.

Good luck with your continued loss.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree with the rules that you have set, but I do think its great that you've decided to take responsibility for your health and fitness at a young age, so that you can best enjoy all the years to come later, and I applaud the pearl of wisdom that you've dropped about not abandoning your commitment once you reach your goal. Those are probably the best decisions you can make at this point, and if you change your mind about the other things as you go along, well, more power to you.
  • beardybuddha73
    beardybuddha73 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree with the rules that you have set, but I do think its great that you've decided to take responsibility for your health and fitness at a young age, so that you can best enjoy all the years to come later, and I applaud the pearl of wisdom that you've dropped about not abandoning your commitment once you reach your goal. Those are probably the best decisions you can make at this point, and if you change your mind about the other things as you go along, well, more power to you.

One of the biggest things I've learned is I need to take a hard stance from the start if I want to be successful and then if/when I do make a mistake, I don't treat it like a big failure.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would like to know what you are doing differently this time to firstly get down to a healthy weight ( I assume 245 may not be your absolute goal) and then maintain it
  • beardybuddha73
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Exactly man. I'm crazy. Most people can't just do things cold turkey and never touch them again. I chewed tobacco for 7 years and I haven't touched the stuff in 3 years. And I'll never touch it again.

For me it's all about reprogramming my brain to not want or even really like pizza. Because like the tobacco, I know I'm not trying my best to be healthy if it's still in my life.

Nicotine is a bit different than food. Everyone at some point has to have some form of withdrawal where nicotine stops being in the system at all, to quit using nicotine products.
    The end products of foods are always in your system. If they're not, you're dead, and that's not a solution to anything. So you'll always need to be putting some kind of food in your body.

I do find it interesting that someone with a username that includes the word Buddha would advocate absolutes though.

I'll stop haha.

Well there is a certain element of Buddhist philosophy sprinkled into the creation of Jedi lore by Lucas.
    I'm guessing your name was probably more meant as a reference to Budai, but the original Guatama Buddha created his philosophy after he tried aestheticism. For a while he lived a hermit kind of life style denying himself all pleasures, and practically starving himself. In doing so, he found that just as a life of pure physical pleasure did not provide happiness, neither did one of pure self-denial. To him, happiness takes place in moderation.

Actually it was because my older cousin had a chubby friend they called Buddha and so they started called me Buddha Jr. It has nothing to do with philosophy.

OP, congrats on finding what works for you; as you can see, many people take different approaches to weight loss, so saying "this is what you need to do" is usually not well received here. Instead, say this is what I found works for me (and even some of your later rationale about how cold turkey works better for you because of your personality and failing at moderation) can head off things that you may be taking as attacks on you.

Yeah that was where I messed up. I should've stated that the post was more for folks who have tried everything in moderation but couldn't do it.

Can you tell it's my second day with the app? Lol.

Thanks.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I ask that cos you're only 26 ...when I was 26 I was probably on my 3rd or 4th successful weight loss stint...each time though I stopped and gained more eventually...it was a roller coaster timed over years

Kudos that you didn't put it all back on and then more, that's more than I managed during those decades of yo yo dieting...you've clearly learned something

• beardybuddha73
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I would like to know what you are doing differently this time to firstly get down to a healthy weight ( I assume 245 may not be your absolute goal) and then maintain it

Actually I'll be following close to the same diet that brought me success the first time. What will change for me is how active I am. I worked out 6 days a week the first time. Due to jobs/etc I don't have time to be that rigorous with my workouts.

The thing that derailed me from my first major weight loss attempt was the loss of my best friend. I was almost 22 when that happened and still in college so I didn't handle it well.

But I grew from that. Learned a of lot lessons. That's why I think I can be successful long-term. Because I was sticking with that diet until he died.
  • hellovickykitty
    hellovickykitty Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What exercises were you doing to help lose weight?
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Ballooned up to 330. Got down to 245. Currently 270.

I've lost the weight before. I simply stopped trying when I was satisfied with the loss.

But that's not how this works.

I've re-committed to my health now that I'm 26, as I've just become tired of always being the fat guy. It's been fun but it's time to get real.

Here's how I did it the first time: lots of water, limited calories and working out six days a week. I cut out fast food, sweets and sugars, snacking and my beloved pizza. I didn't give up drinking though (Irish).

This time around I'm not going to be as aggressive. This time it's more about long-term health than quick results.

I'm not trying to be mean but if you really want to be successful:

STOP drinking sugary drinks. Juice, milk and water will find you well.

STOP eating fast food, pizza, or any of that processed garbage. Avoid it as much as poasible.

STOP snacking. If you are serious about dropping the weight, find the discipline to wait to eat until meals. Drink a glass of water instead.

Just a few tips. If you want more, add me. I've been through this before. I've gained some back. If you want respectful, but honest, support, I'm your guy.

Let's do this together and kick health's *kitten*.

I haven't read the other posts, but I'm sure you've already been reemed for saying no fast food or pizza. Personally, your approach works for me, too. I can't do a little fast food. If I do a fast food meal that satisfies me, I can't eat the rest of the day and I get cranky and wind up bingeing.

Actually, we're in pretty much the same boat. I was 270, down to 190, now I'm back up to 245. Like you, I'm going for the long-term approach. I'm actually not drinking at all this month and will only be doing so two days per week for the rest of the year. Like you, I have to exercise 5-7 times per week to make this work.

Not sure why I'm responding, but your post spoke to me, personally, and I'm all for this change in our lives. Clearly, my first bout of weight-*kitten*-kicking was not a lifestyle change, but a good, long effort. I got satisfied after I felt like I looked good. Now, I'm not trying to starve myself and I'm lifting instead of all cardio. See you this time next year, so we can flex for each other and send junk pics and the like.

Here's to your progress and mine. Get it!
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've found that I've had the most setbacks when I was at my pithiest about food. I learned to chill and enjoy a little bit of what I really enjoyed every now and again, and have had much more success.

And for the person who said sugar is the enemy, it's not. Your bad habits and negative thinking are what hold you back.
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you were trying to post a standard "hey everyone, I'm back and have health goals, let's support each other post" that turned into the never ending philosophical battle between "everything in moderation" and "cut all the junk" that seems to happen quite frequently in this forums.

Everyone is different. All we can do is what feels right for our bodies. And sometimes we do something for a while, realize it's not working, and try something new. I try to do 80/20. 80% of the time I eat what I know my body loves. I try to cut the processed stuff because I don't feel good when I eat it. However I also love pizza. and ice cream. and greasy chinese food. and beer. and...well you get the idea. So if I eat healthy, nutrient rich food for 5 days and on the 6th day my friends want to go out, I'm going to go out and enjoy myself. I'll have some pizza and a couple beers, not make a big deal about it, and go back to the way I was eating earlier that week the next day.

Honestly it's all about commitment. Once you have that (which it sounds like you do) the rest of it is just figuring out what makes your body feel the best and being consistent.

Best of luck to you.
  • beardybuddha73
    Options
    What exercises were you doing to help lose weight?

I'd usually warm up with a half hour on a stationary bike, followed by about 15 mins of shooting hoops. Then I'd go thru an old lifting workout from my high school football days. Usually took a little over an hour. Then I'd shoot hoops or play in a pickup game for another 45 mins to an hour. Did that six days a week for 14 months.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    Wow, made the mistake of reading the other posts. Feels like people intentionally misconstrue words and look for an argument. Maybe I misread the OP in his initial post, but I didn't read him mandating that people follow his tips. I think he called them tips....
  • beardybuddha73
    Options
    annemw82 wrote: »
    Sounds like you were trying to post a standard "hey everyone, I'm back and have health goals, let's support each other post" that turned into the never ending philosophical battle between "everything in moderation" and "cut all the junk" that seems to happen quite frequently in this forums.

Everyone is different. All we can do is what feels right for our bodies. And sometimes we do something for a while, realize it's not working, and try something new. I try to do 80/20. 80% of the time I eat what I know my body loves. I try to cut the processed stuff because I don't feel good when I eat it. However I also love pizza. and ice cream. and greasy chinese food. and beer. and...well you get the idea. So if I eat healthy, nutrient rich food for 5 days and on the 6th day my friends want to go out, I'm going to go out and enjoy myself. I'll have some pizza and a couple beers, not make a big deal about it, and go back to the way I was eating earlier that week the next day.

Honestly it's all about commitment. Once you have that (which it sounds like you do) the rest of it is just figuring out what makes your body feel the best and being consistent.

Best of luck to you.

You are exactly correct. Didn't help I also chose my words poorly ha-ha.

Thanks!
  • beardybuddha73
    Options
    Wow, made the mistake of reading the other posts. Feels like people intentionally misconstrue words and look for an argument. Maybe I misread the OP in his initial post, but I didn't read him mandating that people follow his tips. I think he called them tips....

Yeah I was an idiot in my first post basically. I didn't set it up write or use the right words. And it's my second day with the app so I did not know how things went on the app.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    If you're not used to MFP in general, this is what forums are like. The most innocent of posts turn into arguments. I got the intention of your original post and I didn't think you were telling people that you were the end-all of health and fitness knowledge. You were enthusiastic about what worked for you. Basically, what annemw82 said.

I have no idea why I'm on the forums today. It is literally my first time in a year or so, because they genuinely became so frustrating. The same people posting the same sarcasm get props, while people with genuine beliefs or who are trying to communicate authentically get bashed or argued with. The "I can eat junk food" vs. "no junk food" or "clean eating" debates or paleo lifestyle debates or CICO works or CICO doesn't work debates get so goddamn old. I'm checking out, I think, and going back to being an MFP hermit. That's my advice to you.

So, hear me, rest of the internet:

For MFP to work you MUST stay off of the forums; there is NO other way for success!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I'll stop haha.

Yeah that was where I messed up. I should've stated that the post was more for folks who have tried everything in moderation but couldn't do it.

Can you tell it's my second day with the app? Lol.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums... :flowerforyou:

*I searched google for an initiation gif, and pretty much all of them violate TOS*
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Actually I'll be following close to the same diet that brought me success the first time. What will change for me is how active I am. I worked out 6 days a week the first time. Due to jobs/etc I don't have time to be that rigorous with my workouts.

The thing that derailed me from my first major weight loss attempt was the loss of my best friend. I was almost 22 when that happened and still in college so I didn't handle it well.

But I grew from that. Learned a of lot lessons. That's why I think I can be successful long-term. Because I was sticking with that diet until he died.

Sorry about your friend

What changed for me was keeping my eye on the rest of my life,trying to build habits I could live with forever

So there would be no way you'd find me working out 6 days a week for life, things always happen...so I walk a lot, stay active when not at the gym and hit the gym ideally 3 times a week but sometimes twice and I love it

And I log food

Always

They are habits, part of my life ...keeping me in maintenance

Focus on pleasure in living and developing habits you can see yourself growing old with
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

Maybe go back and read the OP's original post. In the theme of Buddha, it may enlighten you before you post a comment.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I guess an underlying point for me is why do I need to eat pizza?

Do I need to eat it? Nope. But I have this one life, you know, and I love pizza. Life is too short not to eat tasty, delicious food. In moderation.