1151617181921»

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    @tomteboda - You, I like.

Aye. Much evidence, very based.

Yes Sir, agreed. Somebody knows their stuff.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    tomteboda, I think I love you.

duh-duh-duh-duhhhhh

But, I wanna know for sure

duh-duh-duh-duhhhhh

So come on and talk sweet science

duh-duh-duh-duhhhhh

I love you...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    science...pfft. I will just stick to my "notions" and "common sense"...lol :insertsarcasm:.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »
    angerelle wrote: »
    NO, just NO.
    You need sugar.
    Moderation in all things.
    Overindulging in any food can be bad for you.

Given that refined sugar has only been produced in the last couple of hundred years, I'm pretty sure humans don't *need* it.

When a person with a scientific understanding of metabolism says 'you need sugar' they are referencing the fact that your body utilizes sugars solely to produce ATP, its energy-storage workhorse molecule. Your metabolic pathways work pretty hard to accomplish this with non-carbohydrate inputs. This is evident when you look at the human metabolic pathways (great reference at Nature)(1) the convergence of the metabolic pathways for carbohydrates, lipids & proteins and (2) several types of cells in your body can only utilize glucose as a source of energy, lacking the enzymes required to convert lipids or proteins to sugars.

There's solid reason why carbohydrate metabolism is central on the metabolic pathway map; and its all driven on glucose. You can force your body into primarily relying on protein & fat as a source of energy, but only within limits; go too far and you wind up with ketoacidosis, which is never, ever a good thing.

The bolded is not correct for the vast majority of people. Only type 1 diabetics, type 2 diabetics who are insulin dependent, and a very few alcoholics ever need to worry about ketoacidosis ( very high blood glucose and very high ketones). People who achieve ketosis nutritionally will not have extraordinarily high ketones, nor will their blood glucose be high.

thats why the poster said "go too far" and did not say "it will happen to everyone" ..

words matter…

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    NO, just NO.
    You need sugar.

Given that refined sugar has only been produced in the last couple of hundred years, I'm pretty sure humans don't *need* it.

When a person with a scientific understanding of metabolism says 'you need sugar' they are referencing the fact that your body utilizes sugars solely to produce ATP, its energy-storage workhorse molecule. Your metabolic pathways work pretty hard to accomplish this with non-carbohydrate inputs. This is evident when you look at the human metabolic pathways (great reference at Nature)(1) the convergence of the metabolic pathways for carbohydrates, lipids & proteins and (2) several types of cells in your body can only utilize glucose as a source of energy, lacking the enzymes required to convert lipids or proteins to sugars.

There's solid reason why carbohydrate metabolism is central on the metabolic pathway map; and its all driven on glucose. You can force your body into primarily relying on protein & fat as a source of energy, but only within limits; go too far and you wind up with ketoacidosis, which is never, ever a good thing.

The bolded is not correct for the vast majority of people. Only type 1 diabetics, type 2 diabetics who are insulin dependent, and a very few alcoholics ever need to worry about ketoacidosis ( very high blood glucose and very high ketones). People who achieve ketosis nutritionally will not have extraordinarily high ketones, nor will their blood glucose be high.

thats why the poster said "go too far" and did not say "it will happen to everyone" ..

words matter…

Yes words matter but most people can't go to far into ketosis. That is still wrong.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for Ketoacidosis to happen to anyone but insulin dependent diabetics and possibly a few alcoholics.

ETA that diabetics can live in ketosis quite safely if they take insulin. DKA only happens when insulin is very low to nonexistent.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    NO, just NO.
    You need sugar.

words matter…

Yes words matter but most people can't go to far into ketosis. That is still wrong.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for Ketoacidosis to happen to anyone but insulin dependent diabetics and possibly a few alcoholics.

ETA that diabetics can live in ketosis quite safely if they take insulin. DKA only happens when insulin is very low to nonexistent.

No. It is extremely rare outside of T1 diabetics and alcoholics.
    Other instances include:
    Severe fasting with lacation: https://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12937-015-0076-2
    Severe Hyperthyroidism: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/488880

Science tends to involve hedging bets and couching language away from absolutes, so I'd avoid impossible when talking about human medical conditions.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Fair enough.