Options
    BeastForm wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Couldn't be bothered to read everything so don't know if this has been mentioned. A big part of how unhealthy sugar can be is how your body deals with it. I am diabetic and regulary monitor my blood sugar levels so I have a good idea what is going on. When I was at my worst a bowl of oatmeal with milk would send my bloodsugar into the unhealthy range. Now I have improved my health by losing weight, cardio and weight training. I also only eat sugar from natural sources like fruit and milk. By doing all of this I can enjoy eating double the recommended sugar intake and still stay healthy. I did it for three months and had a blood test. My bloodsugar levels were still in the healthy range although slightly increaded. They rose from 30 to 35. The healthy range is 20 to 42 I think. I'm not saying try and eat loads of sugary things and stay healthy anyway as it is not wise to stress your body with excess sugar intake. It's just interesting to have this information. You can get far ahead of any health risks with the correct lifestyle and occasionaly enjoy treats and stay perfectly healthy. One day I at two whole pizzas to myself so I still indulge. Being fitter and stronger helps you out in everyday life too.

No one disputes that sugar needs to be watched by diabetics. That doesn't not apply to all.

Yeah but it's just you can be even further away from any health risks by at least not eating added sugar. It's not black and white, these things sneak up on people. Once something happens that you can't change you wish so bad that you lived differently.Added sugar has no benefits at all. It's a pure addiction.

Absolutely false.

Ok what are the benefits of adding sugar to food?

Energy. Calories (not EVERYONE is trying to lose weight). Taste. Carbs. Fuel for workouts.

All this is available without added sugar. You are conditioned to be this way. I don't need a sugar high to hit a deadlift PR.

So, your contention is that the availablility of alternatives means that each individual alternative has zero benefits?

Adding sugar to food is not an alternative. It's a food industry strategy and it works big time. The cost? Well I'm sure they don' t lose any sleep after they get tired counting their millions of dollars. Who cares if people get sick and die? What's a limb or two here and there? Where do you draw the line?

Yes, I'm sure the food industry's strategy is to kill or injure as many of their consumers as possible.

#WinningStrategy

But your post didn't answer the question I asked.

You simply do not need to add extra sugar to food. There is enough in it already. The food industry encourages over consumption of their products to maximize profits.

Not NEEDING to do something, doesn't mean there's no benefit.

I don't NEED to go work out this afternoon. But I'm going to anyway, and I'll benefit from it.

I don't disagree that many food items are created and marketed encouraging over-consumption. You'll get no argument from me there. The key, then would seem to me to be to learn how to eliminate the OVER part...not the CONSUMPTION part. And in an attempt to actually - you know - discuss the actual topic of the thread, it would seem the dietary guidelines agree.

Wait a minute....

HomerSuspicious.gif

you're saying this thread had a topic?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Couldn't be bothered to read everything so don't know if this has been mentioned. A big part of how unhealthy sugar can be is how your body deals with it. I am diabetic and regulary monitor my blood sugar levels so I have a good idea what is going on. When I was at my worst a bowl of oatmeal with milk would send my bloodsugar into the unhealthy range. Now I have improved my health by losing weight, cardio and weight training. I also only eat sugar from natural sources like fruit and milk. By doing all of this I can enjoy eating double the recommended sugar intake and still stay healthy. I did it for three months and had a blood test. My bloodsugar levels were still in the healthy range although slightly increaded. They rose from 30 to 35. The healthy range is 20 to 42 I think. I'm not saying try and eat loads of sugary things and stay healthy anyway as it is not wise to stress your body with excess sugar intake. It's just interesting to have this information. You can get far ahead of any health risks with the correct lifestyle and occasionaly enjoy treats and stay perfectly healthy. One day I at two whole pizzas to myself so I still indulge. Being fitter and stronger helps you out in everyday life too.

No one disputes that sugar needs to be watched by diabetics. That doesn't not apply to all.

Yeah but it's just you can be even further away from any health risks by at least not eating added sugar. It's not black and white, these things sneak up on people. Once something happens that you can't change you wish so bad that you lived differently.Added sugar has no benefits at all. It's a pure addiction.

Absolutely false.

Energy. Calories (not EVERYONE is trying to lose weight). Taste. Carbs. Fuel for workouts.

All this is available without added sugar. You are conditioned to be this way. I don't need a sugar high to hit a deadlift PR.

So, your contention is that the availablility of alternatives means that each individual alternative has zero benefits?

Adding sugar to food is not an alternative. It's a food industry strategy and it works big time. The cost? Well I'm sure they don' t lose any sleep after they get tired counting their millions of dollars. Who cares if people get sick and die? What's a limb or two here and there? Where do you draw the line?

Yes, I'm sure the food industry's strategy is to kill or injure as many of their consumers as possible.

#WinningStrategy

You simply do not need to add extra sugar to food. There is enough in it already. The food industry encourages over consumption of their products to maximize profits.

How are you defining extra sugar? Are you talking about adding sugar to something that's already sweet? I agree that would be overkill. Are you talking about the dreaded HFCS? Because when your body breaks it down, it treats it the same as any other sugar.

Now, I do think that processed foods have more sugar then they need in them, but it's for the same reason they use MSG: cheap way to add flavor. Which, incidentally, means I can't eat a lot of processed foods anymore since they're putting MSG back into them and my digestive system breaks out the pitchforks and torches when I get a little in my system. ><

But sugar itself? Sugar is not evil. It does not come from the Dark Side, it does not target your body and decay it from the inside, nor does it travel directly to your fat cells and build expansions. Sugar itself is a necessary nutrient you need. Just make sure you're getting a reasonable amount, and if you eat a lot of processed meals, make sure you keep track of it so you don't get too much.
  • BeastForm
    BeastForm Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Absolutely false.

#WinningStrategy

I don't NEED to go work out this afternoon. But I'm going to anyway, and I'll benefit from it.

I don't disagree that many food items are created and marketed encouraging over-consumption. You'll get no argument from me there. The key, then would seem to me to be to learn how to eliminate the OVER part...not the CONSUMPTION part. And in an attempt to actually - you know - discuss the actual topic of the thread, it would seem the dietary guidelines agree. (I'll even call out my own appeal to authority fallacy)

If the human race had never figured out how to extract sugar from one food and pile it onto another then we would be a lot better off. You can call it natural selection if you want. There are too many people on the earth I suppose. But people get so addicted to junk food they just end up with a slow tormented death. If sugar dissapeared overnight this would go a long way to stopping this kind of situatiuon.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

Absolutely false.

#WinningStrategy

How are you defining extra sugar? Are you talking about adding sugar to something that's already sweet? I agree that would be overkill. Are you talking about the dreaded HFCS? Because when your body breaks it down, it treats it the same as any other sugar.

Now, I do think that processed foods have more sugar then they need in them, but it's for the same reason they use MSG: cheap way to add flavor. Which, incidentally, means I can't eat a lot of processed foods anymore since they're putting MSG back into them and my digestive system breaks out the pitchforks and torches when I get a little in my system. ><

But sugar itself? Sugar is not evil. It does not come from the Dark Side, it does not target your body and decay it from the inside, nor does it travel directly to your fat cells and build expansions. Sugar itself is a necessary nutrient you need. Just make sure you're getting a reasonable amount, and if you eat a lot of processed meals, make sure you keep track of it so you don't get too much.

Sugar killed my pa and stole my dog! Sugar caused our crops to fail and forced my sister into a disreputable profession...dentistry.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You don't need broccoli...you can get broccoli's benefits from other food. Hard to debate when the debate doesn't make sense.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Absolutely false.

#WinningStrategy

I don't disagree that many food items are created and marketed encouraging over-consumption. You'll get no argument from me there. The key, then would seem to me to be to learn how to eliminate the OVER part...not the CONSUMPTION part. And in an attempt to actually - you know - discuss the actual topic of the thread, it would seem the dietary guidelines agree. (I'll even call out my own appeal to authority fallacy)

If the human race had never figured out how to extract sugar from one food and pile it onto another then we would be a lot better off. You can call it natural selection if you want. There are too many people on the earth I suppose. But people get so addicted to junk food they just end up with a slow tormented death. If sugar dissapeared overnight this would go a long way to stopping this kind of situatiuon.

You keep making these emotional claims, but that's all they are. The body of nutrition science, research, and even common logical sense overwhelmingly disagrees.

Your first post stated you were diabetic, so as @Hornsby pointed out, no one in his/her right mind would disagree that this is an important issue for you. But applying this to the population as a whole is misguided.
  • ClicquotBubbles
    ClicquotBubbles Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Absolutely false.

#WinningStrategy

And those damn bees extracting the pollen and making devils dripping !

Stop them now I say!

This is perhaps the silliest post Ive ever seen.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Yeah but it's just you can be even further away from any health risks by at least not eating added sugar. It's not black and white, these things sneak up on people. Once something happens that you can't change you wish so bad that you lived differently. Added sugar has no benefits at all. It's a pure addiction.

dead wrong

and repeating it over and over does not make it true.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Absolutely false.

#WinningStrategy

You keep making these emotional claims, but that's all they are. The body of nutrition science, research, and even common logical sense overwhelmingly disagrees.

Your first post stated you were diabetic, so as another poster pointed out, no one in his/her right mind would disagree that this is an important issue for you. But applying this to the population as a whole is misguided.

It's like banning peanuts cause some are allergic.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Absolutely false.

#WinningStrategy

Stick around a while! The fun is just beginning
  • BeastForm
    Options

Absolutely false.

#WinningStrategy

Ok the point I'm making is that extracting sugar from food to use on other food is the problem. Stopping doing that is like a "dumb solution" if you like as people seem to be unable to control their eating. Everyone here is probably used to tracking what they eat so it's easy for us. Some people just cannot control themselves and just end up dying from it. All the information is out there on how to be healthy so why are there so many obese people? They just can't do it. Stopping adding sugar to foods would prevent a lot of this from happening. I know it's just a dream really because of all the money involved and corporate power blah blah
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Absolutely false.

My grandmother made her cookies from scratch and used sugar, just like her mother and her mother's mother. Could you explain where they fit into the food industry's strategy and why I don't have any of those million's of dollars? Clearly my grandma was a nefarious sugar peddler.

Well just because grandpa was a bootlegger doesn't mean you get a cut of Budweiser's profits either...

*Sigh*

Spoilsport.

My grandpa ate gummy spearmint mint leaves and hard candies like they were going out of style. Every Sunday night was ice cream dinner night for his family. When I was about two, my grandparents fed me candy and ice cream until I was literally sick in the car on the way home. Thrilled my mother no end.

I figured I could be in for a good chunk of change.

Just as an aside - my grandparents and their three kids were/are all super short, healthy weight, and so far have had nice long lives with the exception of an accidental death.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Absolutely false.

#WinningStrategy

Your first post stated you were diabetic, so as @Hornsby pointed out, no one in his/her right mind would disagree that this is an important issue for you. But applying this to the population as a whole is misguided.

Make bogus claims about millions who would have died if it hadn't been for the life saving benefits of added sugar.
    It would be ridiculous but at this point it would be fighting fair.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Absolutely false.

#WinningStrategy

Ok the point I'm making is that extracting sugar from food to use on other food is the problem. Stopping doing that is like a "dumb solution" if you like as people seem to be unable to control their eating. Everyone here is probably used to tracking what they eat so it's easy for us. Some people just cannot control themselves and just end up dying from it. All the information is out there on how to be healthy so why are there so many obese people? They just can't do it. Stopping adding sugar to foods would prevent a lot of this from happening. I know it's just a dream really because of all the money involved and corporate power blah blah

It's a dream because of the lack of evidence. Not the money...
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Absolutely false.

#WinningStrategy

Nothing you can do will protect people from their own poor choices.

And even IF you could prevent any sugar from being added to foods wouldn't stop people from overconsumption of calories in general (you know...the actual root CAUSE of the obesity epidemic).
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    .substituting one can of Coke a day...

for water and you lose 15 lbs in 1 year!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Absolutely false.

#WinningStrategy

Nothing you can do will protect people from their own poor choices.

And even IF you could prevent any sugar from being added to foods wouldn't stop people from overconsumption of calories in general (you know...the actual root CAUSE of the obesity epidemic).

Oh, come now...we can't let science and common sense get in the way of hysteria and zealotry!
  • BeastForm
    Options

Absolutely false.

#WinningStrategy

Stick around a while! The fun is just beginning

Well stupid me I guess for picking a fight with the champion of the internet
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Absolutely false.

#WinningStrategy

what does it matter? Sugar = sugar. So if you get your sugar from fruit or from adding it, it does not matter.

Please provide a study that identifies sugar solely as a killer. And don't post something about obese people, and heart disease because that can be linked to over consumption of x, y, z foods.

I want to know a study where sugar was identified as the sole killer....

People are are obese because they over consume CALORIES. Trying to blame one macro nutrient for the obesity epidemic is ridiculous.

when I was overweight I was more likely to binge on fatty or salty foods like pizza, mozzarella sticks, fried chicken etc,