Maybe Sugar IS the Devil - US Goverment Diet Recommendations

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Sleeves are BS :)

And, here I am, wearing a long-sleeve T-shirt. I'm just a shill for Big-Attire, though.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    3718470.jpg
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    That's what the clothing companies want you to think. You've been suckered TR. Sorry. A little bit (about tank top sized) of cotton is okay. Anything after that is just added cotton that is not needed.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/01/07/federal-dietary-guidelines/77151060/

From the article:

"The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends limiting the amount of added sugars in our diet to no more than 10% of daily calories. That's about 12 teaspoons of sugar a day. To put that in perspective, a can of Coke contains nearly 10 teaspoons.

Most of us would have to make big changes in our diets to follow the new guidelines.

Americans on average get about 13% of daily calories from added sugars; teens get closer to 17% of calories from added sugars, according to the new report. The natural sugar in foods such as raisins, apples or milk are not considered added sugars.

Nearly half of the added sugars in American diets come from sweetened beverages, such as sodas and sports drinks, according to the guidelines, published by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Services."

So by this logic, I've probably been within these guidelines all of my life except the summers I spent in Kentucky - sweet tea probably has twice the added sugar as Coke. Other than that, I've never been into sugar-sweetened drinks. My food-based vices tend to be dessert-oriented.

Good for me, I guess?

And your desserts don't have sugar?

Sorry, late reply, just got back online.

Most have added sugar - I don't like overly sweet things so I usually cut the recipe's sugar by 1/4-1/2. Some don't (fruit w/ cream, roasted fruit). I doubt I eat more dessert than the 'average' American.

So, if more than half of sugar in the 'average' American diet typically comes from sugar-sweetened drinks, and I'm not drinking any - than my added sugar intake is at worst around half of the 'average' American's, putting me well below the guidelines.
  • BeastForm
    BeastForm Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    BeastForm wrote: »
    Couldn't be bothered to read everything so don't know if this has been mentioned. A big part of how unhealthy sugar can be is how your body deals with it. I am diabetic and regulary monitor my blood sugar levels so I have a good idea what is going on. When I was at my worst a bowl of oatmeal with milk would send my bloodsugar into the unhealthy range. Now I have improved my health by losing weight, cardio and weight training. I also only eat sugar from natural sources like fruit and milk. By doing all of this I can enjoy eating double the recommended sugar intake and still stay healthy. I did it for three months and had a blood test. My bloodsugar levels were still in the healthy range although slightly increaded. They rose from 30 to 35. The healthy range is 20 to 42 I think. I'm not saying try and eat loads of sugary things and stay healthy anyway as it is not wise to stress your body with excess sugar intake. It's just interesting to have this information. You can get far ahead of any health risks with the correct lifestyle and occasionaly enjoy treats and stay perfectly healthy. One day I at two whole pizzas to myself so I still indulge. Being fitter and stronger helps you out in everyday life too.

No one disputes that sugar needs to be watched by diabetics. That doesn't not apply to all.

Yeah but it's just you can be even further away from any health risks by at least not eating added sugar. It's not black and white, these things sneak up on people. Once something happens that you can't change you wish so bad that you lived differently.Added sugar has no benefits at all. It's a pure addiction.

Absolutely false.

Ok what are the benefits of adding sugar to food?
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The Dietary Guidelines (how the gov't tries to educate people) are really quite reasonable, as is MyPlate. I'm as happy to criticize the gov't as many people, but here I think it's the media that deserves the criticism.

Or anyone equating sugar and the devil, of course.

I love this! Thank you!

The media (I refuse to call most of them journalists) deserve a lot of criticism about a lot of things.

Maybe the media is the devil ;)

Yep, no integrity in the media anymore. Hell, they can't even fix typos, neither the media writers nor editors.

It seems no matter what, just scare the people. Whether it be food, the 't' word, etc.

From what I understand, the government agencies are actually rather hesitant to actually demonize a particular food/food group to any extent... mainly because it doesn't want to hurt business. It's the media that puts the demonization 'spin' to it.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    Couldn't be bothered to read everything so don't know if this has been mentioned. A big part of how unhealthy sugar can be is how your body deals with it. I am diabetic and regulary monitor my blood sugar levels so I have a good idea what is going on. When I was at my worst a bowl of oatmeal with milk would send my bloodsugar into the unhealthy range. Now I have improved my health by losing weight, cardio and weight training. I also only eat sugar from natural sources like fruit and milk. By doing all of this I can enjoy eating double the recommended sugar intake and still stay healthy. I did it for three months and had a blood test. My bloodsugar levels were still in the healthy range although slightly increaded. They rose from 30 to 35. The healthy range is 20 to 42 I think. I'm not saying try and eat loads of sugary things and stay healthy anyway as it is not wise to stress your body with excess sugar intake. It's just interesting to have this information. You can get far ahead of any health risks with the correct lifestyle and occasionaly enjoy treats and stay perfectly healthy. One day I at two whole pizzas to myself so I still indulge. Being fitter and stronger helps you out in everyday life too.

No one disputes that sugar needs to be watched by diabetics. That doesn't not apply to all.

Yeah but it's just you can be even further away from any health risks by at least not eating added sugar. It's not black and white, these things sneak up on people. Once something happens that you can't change you wish so bad that you lived differently.Added sugar has no benefits at all. It's a pure addiction.

Absolutely false.

Deliciousness.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Is added sugar necessary for nutrition or is it about taste? Do we have to have it? I want it because of taste. Do I need it?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Absolutely false.

Energy. Calories (not EVERYONE is trying to lose weight). Taste. Carbs. Fuel for workouts.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    susan100df wrote: »
    Is added sugar necessary for nutrition or is it about taste? Do we have to have it? I want it because of taste. Do I need it?

That's all that matters. As long as you maintain control over your calorie intake and balance your macros, added sugar isn't a problem.
  • BeastForm
    Options

Absolutely false.

Deliciousness.

Healthy food can be delicous. Your taste buds are fried from all the junk. You can recover from this.
  • BeastForm
    Options

Absolutely false.

Energy. Calories (not EVERYONE is trying to lose weight). Taste. Carbs. Fuel for workouts.

All this is available without added sugar. You are conditioned to be this way. I don't need a sugar high to hit a deadlift PR.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Absolutely false.

Deliciousness.

Healthy food can be delicous. Your taste buds are fried from all the junk. You can recover from this.

Take a look at my diary and tell me which junk has fried my taste buds. I need help, man! I'm like, 3 snickers and a Coca-Cola from doing unspeakable things to a hobo behind the Shop&Go just because he promised me some packets of pure Domino. SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!
  • juggernaut1974
    edited January 2016
    Options

Absolutely false.

Deliciousness.

They're not mutually exclusive. Or are you under the impression that if someone has, say, one item with added sugar, then that's all they eat?
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Absolutely false.

All this is available without added sugar. You are conditioned to be this way. I don't need a sugar high to hit a deadlift PR.

So, your contention is that the availablility of alternatives means that each individual alternative has zero benefits?
  • BeastForm
    Options

Absolutely false.

Deliciousness.

They're not mutually exclusive. Or are you under the impression that if someone has, say, one item with added sugar, then that's all they eat?

Well I mean you can get away with a lot of things but they are steps down a dark path. You don't want to find out you are stuck with the negative consequences of your choices. There is a point of no return with health obviously and you don't always see it coming.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Absolutely false.

So, your contention is that the availablility of alternatives means that each individual alternative has zero benefits?

So, your contention is that that's not how logic works? You might be onto something there... I'd be able to think about it if I didn't have the DTs from my sugar withdrawal. It's been 48 hours since my last candy cane and I'm really jonesing.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Absolutely false.

Deliciousness.

Well I mean you can get away with a lot of things but they are steps down a dark path. You don't want to find out you are stuck with the negative consequences of your choices. There is a point of no return with health obviously and you don't always see it coming.

The path to hell is paved with skittles...
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Absolutely false.

Deliciousness.

Ahhh..the ol' slippery slope logical fallacy. Or did you just perhaps recently see the new Star Wars movie?
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    susan100df wrote: »

This could a question about possibly any food at all. It could be a question about cooking. Its certainly a question some people ask about meat, about fruit, or about carbs.

Do you need bread? Do you need beef? Do you need to cook your food? Do you need to flavor it with herbs, spices, or salt? No, you don't. You want it because of taste. But you CAN eat beef, bread, salt, flavorings, cooked food, and sugar and still have a diet that promotes a long and healthy life.