A question for 1200 calories per day consumers

Options

Replies

• sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    because 1270 cals is what I should be eating for I think it was either 15 or 20% defect :)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 1350. I gained body fat like hell when a personal trainer upped me to 1500 because he said 1200 was too low. I'm not a special snowflake. I'm a ****ing midget.

THIS.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    For someone who says 1200 is there "number".... feel free to post here or message me your details (age/height/weight/sex/how much you do cardio/lift/how busy your job is) and lets see what the score really is :o))
    oooo do me just to see :D
    im 24, 5,6 , currently 149.6lbs, im at a desk job, I dont lift (but would like to lol) im pretty sporadic with my cardio but say 3 times a week for at least 30mins
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    For someone who says 1200 is there "number".... feel free to post here or message me your details (age/height/weight/sex/how much you do cardio/lift/how busy your job is) and lets see what the score really is :o))

When I started I weighed 150. I'm a 5'4 f and I'm about to turn 43. I have a very inactive job and didn't work out. My TDEE was 1680 and I wanted to lose 1 lb a week. That brought me to 1180.

My mom lost weight a couple of years ago. She was 70 at the time, 4'11 and was unable to exercise. I'm sure hers was probably low also since she only weighed about 130ish at the time.

Incorrect. If you're subtracting 20% from 1680, you should be consuming 1344 calories a day. You should not be eating under 1200 a day.

1680 x .20 = 336, thus 1680-336 = 1,344.

I didn't say I was using the TDEE method, I said I wanted to lose 1 lb per week.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options

When I started I weighed 150. I'm a 5'4 f and I'm about to turn 43. I have a very inactive job and didn't work out. My TDEE was 1680 and I wanted to lose 1 lb a week. That brought me to 1180.

My mom lost weight a couple of years ago. She was 70 at the time, 4'11 and was unable to exercise. I'm sure hers was probably low also since she only weighed about 130ish at the time.

Incorrect. If you're subtracting 20% from 1680, you should be consuming 1344 calories a day. You should not be eating under 1200 a day.

1680 x .20 = 336, thus 1680-336 = 1,344.

I didn't say I was using the TDEE method, I said I wanted to lose 1 lb per week.

Then why mention your TDEE at all?

You'd still lose a pound a week by the calculations I just gave.
  • ncmedic201
    Options
    ncmedic201 - I'd only have you on 1200 if you didn't move around at all, housebound. I'd much rather see you at 1450. Only 250 cals more but thats actually 20% more calories almost. You'll be surprised at the difference, IMO.

I literally sit at the station all day...24-36 hours. When I started this my goals were to lose weight, improve my diet and lower my BP.At the time I had a hip injury and it was very painful to stand, let alone walk. I was afraid to go to the doctor because I couldn't afford to be out of work. I improved my diet, lost some weight and lowered my BP. I finally bit the bullet and went to PT. I'm now able to exercise, off all my BP meds and have upped my calories. I don't always meet my calorie intake but I try. I've got it set for 1700 now.

Posts like this are just so vague and they don't take into consideration that we are all individuals with different weights, heights, genders and physical abilities. Also, sometimes you have to weigh the risk to benefit assessment. For a morbidly obese person, the risk of sudden cardiac arrest may be greater than the risk of being on a low calorie diet. Many of us are being monitored by our doctor and the benefit of quick weight loss outweighs the risks.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    1200-1300 net works for me. 1200 FLAT works for others. Don't see the point of making a big deal out of what ppl eat. It's not a miracle spot, but if it works....don't fix it.
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    ncmedic201 - I'd only have you on 1200 if you didn't move around at all, housebound. I'd much rather see you at 1450. Only 250 cals more but thats actually 20% more calories almost. You'll be surprised at the difference, IMO.

I literally sit at the station all day...24-36 hours. When I started this my goals were to lose weight, improve my diet and lower my BP.At the time I had a hip injury and it was very painful to stand, let alone walk. I was afraid to go to the doctor because I couldn't afford to be out of work. I improved my diet, lost some weight and lowered my BP. I finally bit the bullet and went to PT. I'm now able to exercise, off all my BP meds and have upped my calories. I don't always meet my calorie intake but I try. I've got it set for 1700 now.

Posts like this are just so vague and they don't take into consideration that we are all individuals with different weights, heights, genders and physical abilities. Also, sometimes you have to weigh the risk to benefit assessment. For a morbidly obese person, the risk of sudden cardiac arrest may be greater than the risk of being on a low calorie diet. Many of us are being monitored by our doctor and the benefit of quick weight loss outweighs the risks.

Doctors take 8 hrs or less of nutritional courses. I'd take anything they say with a grain of salt, unless they're a nutritionist/dietician.

Glad to hear of the calorie upage and well being change. Good luck to you.
  • ncmedic201
    Options

Doctors take 8 hrs or less of nutritional courses. I'd take anything they say with a grain of salt, unless they're a nutritionist/dietician.

Glad to hear of the calorie upage and well being change. Good luck to you.

To say my doc is a nutrition freak would be an understatement! She is very into health, exercise, eating right etc. She's the one that got me back onto MFP. She also checks my labs every 3 months. She's a great motivator
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

I am a PT/nutritionist.

Your post that you NEED 1200 is not the counter. A counter argument from you would be you describing why aren't needing MORE calories because you've tried and this is the XYZ reason. Unless you are suggesting eating an bare minimum number of calories is better than eating a larger, more rounder number that will allow more good foods to be eaten.

Get your head on the right way around. You are thinking, backwards.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    To say my doc is a nutrition freak would be an understatement! She is very into health, exercise, eating right etc. She's the one that got me back onto MFP. She also checks my labs every 3 months. She's a great motivator

My Dr talked about diet with me and after 2-3 mins actually said "Sorry, your knowledge is much deeper than mine and I'm getting out of my depth".
  • PepperWorm
    Options

I am a PT/nutritionist.

Your post that you NEED 1200 is not the counter. A counter argument from you would be you describing why aren't needing MORE calories because you've tried and this is the XYZ reason. Unless you are suggesting eating an bare minimum number of calories is better than eating a larger, more rounder number that will allow more good foods to be eaten.

BAM!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1200 is what MFP calculated based on my stats - I'm rubbish at maths so utterly unable to manipulate the statistics, sorry. I'm no more different than anyone else!

I roughly aim for 1200, but eat anything between just under that and about 1800 net - and I'm losing weight at a steady pace. Certainly not 2lb a week as was my huge ambition, but it's working. More like 1lb and not every week.

NO!

You DID manipulate the numbers because your "2lb a week huge amition" ........ MFP calculated based upon your GOAL .... stats were secondary.

1200 is merely as low as MFP is designed to go ........ this is why you are not losing 2 pounds every week .... because it's a "huge ambition" and not a realistic ambition.
  • ncmedic201
    Options

I am a PT/nutritionist.

My need to get my BP down before I had a stroke was of greater importance than eating a higher calorie diet. My need to drop weight quickly and not be at high risk of stroke outweighed the potential risk of a short term low calorie diet.

You can't just look at one side or the other. It goes back to everyone is different. Their needs are different. We aren't all going to fit into the same mold all the time. Weight loss and diet have to be tailored to the individual. As a nutritionist, you're not going to put a diabetic on a high carb diet or tell a person with BP issues that are sodium sensitive to not monitor sodium. I'm guessing that you individualize meal planning for your clients.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    You can't just look at one side or the other. It goes back to everyone is different. Their needs are different. We aren't all going to fit into the same mold all the time. Weight loss and diet have to be tailored to the individual. As a nutritionist, you're not going to put a diabetic on a high carb diet or tell a person with BP issues that are sodium sensitive to not monitor sodium. I'm guessing that you individualize meal planning for your clients.

So to make yourself more healthy, you eat in an unhealthy manner below what is healthy for you to eat? Incredible logic.

Yes I do make individual meal plans etc.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    Riddle me this, Matt_Wild: I would truly appreciate your opinion.
    Weight: 207
    Ht: 61
    BMR: 1589
    SDA: 15
    REE: 1747
    ADL: 349
    Total Caloric Requirements: 2096
    If I wanted to lose 1.5 a week, it says to do 1362
    2lbs: 1112 which, of course, is not recommended.
    Your thoughts? I stick to 1330.

I don't know my TDEE because this is the info I got from my dietitian.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Need your age/height/weight/sex/approx gym/cardio time and approx job type. You've not given me enough.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options

Need your age/height/weight/sex/approx gym/cardio time and approx job type. You've not given me enough.

Sorry forgot to add age:
    30yo F
    low-cardio elliptical or Zumba 3 times a week since beginning of June. Days I workout, I eat half my calories back. so I could eat up to 1600-1800 calories those days.
    Very, very sedentary job. I am stuck to a screen and phone all day except to go to the bathroom.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    61 inches or 6' 1"?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I am curious and interested. So here are my stats....

59 years old
    5 ft. 5 in.
    159. 6 pounds (as of this morning)
    As for exercise, up until this week, l was doing one hour of cardio a week... about 500 calories. I don't work.

Your results?