A question for 1200 calories per day consumers

Options

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    So you suggest I eat until I get sick just so I can meet some magical number? Or eat crap food that has no nutritional value for no other reason than meeting that magical number, even if I'm already full?
    I think one of the things to keep in mind is that your body will adjust to the way you eat. I used to take in a ridiculously low amount of calories each day, and i would get physically sick if i ate a sandwich of normal size. Then a year later, i had no problem at all taking in 3500 calories in a day. If you are so full but you aren't meeting your calorie requirements, increase by 100 calories (a TBLS of PB) each week until you become accustomed to it.
    You are potentially answering "yes" to the other poster's question. If you have met macros with plenty of protein and fat already there, PB is a "crap" food.
    As I detailed in an earlier post, the only reason I would suggest any magic number would be if your deficit was too large for your fat stores to support by releasing 31.4 calories per pound per day. Then I would agree it would be better to eat PB or even marshmallows than to lose LBM. Then again, I would not call that number magic; I call it science.

Based on that calculation, my average calorie intake, and my bf%, I'm higher than my TDEE. So you're saying that's OK?
    I am saying you should first make sure you get your needed daily nutrients; dietitians suggest that you should be able to do that with balanced meals on a 1200 calorie diet. After that I would make sure that there is fuel enough for TDEE, either from calories consumed or body fat releasing energy. I don't know if you read my earlier post, but my one slight disappointment was that I calculate that the weight I lost was 75% fat and I was hoping for 80% or more. I have been told that going a little slower would have helped. Others have told me that heavy weight training would have helped. I was told these things by people who claim to have gotten a higher percentage of fat loss. Anyway, I have no reason to say it isn't OK, but I am just some guy on the internet. you should take those numbers and do some checking and make the decision yourself. I do not regret losing fast, even though I need to do some time in the gym to tone up some now.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    So you suggest I eat until I get sick just so I can meet some magical number? Or eat crap food that has no nutritional value for no other reason than meeting that magical number, even if I'm already full?
    I think one of the things to keep in mind is that your body will adjust to the way you eat. I used to take in a ridiculously low amount of calories each day, and i would get physically sick if i ate a sandwich of normal size. Then a year later, i had no problem at all taking in 3500 calories in a day. If you are so full but you aren't meeting your calorie requirements, increase by 100 calories (a TBLS of PB) each week until you become accustomed to it.
    You are potentially answering "yes" to the other poster's question. If you have met macros with plenty of protein and fat already there, PB is a "crap" food.
    As I detailed in an earlier post, the only reason I would suggest any magic number would be if your deficit was too large for your fat stores to support by releasing 31.4 calories per pound per day. Then I would agree it would be better to eat PB or even marshmallows than to lose LBM. Then again, I would not call that number magic; I call it science.

Based on that calculation, my average calorie intake, and my bf%, I'm higher than my TDEE. So you're saying that's OK?
    I am saying you should first make sure you get your needed daily nutrients; dietitians suggest that you should be able to do that with balanced meals on a 1200 calorie diet. After that I would make sure that there is fuel enough for TDEE, either from calories consumed or body fat releasing energy. I don't know if you read my earlier post, but my one slight disappointment was that I calculate that the weight I lost was 75% fat and I was hoping for 80% or more. I have been told that going a little slower would have helped. Others have told me that heavy weight training would have helped. I was told these things by people who claim to have gotten a higher percentage of fat loss. Anyway, I have no reason to say it isn't OK, but I am just some guy on the internet. you should take those numbers and do some checking and make the decision yourself. I do not regret losing fast, even though I need to do tone up some now.

I'm not trying to lose fast, just struggling to average more than 1350 calories a day. Some days I can eat 1800 easily, other days I'm forcing myself to get 600. But overall my average calories + the "fat calories" exceed my TDEE. I eat mostly veggies, lean meats, dairy, beans, good fats etc. I try to at least make my calories count. How do you determine what percentage lost was lbm?
  • 55in13
    Options
    How do you determine what percentage lost was lbm?
    You get your BF% at the start weight, multiply by the total to get the weight of the fat. Same with the end weight. Then just subtract to figure out how much fat you lost and divide that by the total loss to get the percent.
  • 55in13
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose fast, just struggling to average more than 1350 calories a day. Some days I can eat 1800 easily, other days I'm forcing myself to get 600. But overall my average calories + the "fat calories" exceed my TDEE. I eat mostly veggies, lean meats, dairy, beans, good fats etc. I try to at least make my calories count. How do you determine what percentage lost was lbm?
    BTW, you are lucky if you struggle to eat more than that while you have a bunch to lose. Besides the pure science reason to worry about going too low (causing LBM loss), another reason is that for most people, myself included, it is not easy to stick to it. These are legitimate reasons for a lot of people to eat more than 1200. But making a blanket statement that it is too low and that anyone who tries it will suffer various fates and fail is just wrong, IMO. It was hard for me to do it, but I decided it was worth it.
  • ncmedic201
    Options
    BTW, you are lucky if you struggle to eat more than that while you have a bunch to lose. Besides the pure science reason to worry about going too low (causing LBM loss), another reason is that for most people, myself included, it is not easy to stick to it. These are legitimate reasons for a lot of people to eat more than 1200. But making a blanket statement that it is too low and that anyone who tries it will suffer various fates and fail is just wrong, IMO. It was hard for me to do it, but I decided it was worth it.

I've been eating that way for 9 years. I lost my job, went back to school, my boys became garbage disposals...I mean teens, and I just have never gotten my habits back in order. I quit drinking coffee so much and lost over 10 lbs quickly just from cutting that out. I'm within my BMI, just trying to get to a lower weight and eat a steadier diet.
  • 55in13
    Options
    I've been eating that way for 9 years. I lost my job, went back to school, my boys became garbage disposals...I mean teens, and I just have never gotten my habits back in order. I quit drinking coffee so much and lost over 10 lbs quickly just from cutting that out. I'm within my BMI, just trying to get to a lower weight and eat a steadier diet.
    OK, now I am confused. You are within BMI? But you have enough fat mass to support your TDEE? That generally doesn't happen.
  • ncmedic201
    Options
    OK, now I am confused. You are within BMI? But you have enough fat mass to support your TDEE? That generally doesn't happen.

My TDEE is 2136. Based on bf% of 24.6 and weight of 145 that would be 1116 in sustainable calories, correct? Plus I'm averaging 1350 a day in calories consumed calories. So the 1116+1350 is greater than my TDEE. Is that what you were meaning earlier?
  • 55in13
    Options
    My TDEE is 2136. Based on bf% of 24.6 and weight of 145 that would be 1116 in sustainable calories, correct? Plus I'm averaging 1350 a day in calories consumed calories. So the 1116+1350 is greater than my TDEE. Is that what you were meaning earlier?
    Yes, it is. That TDEE includes activity? While I am not a fan of the "eat back" school because of the compounding of common errors and because it isn't needed when overweight, it could be needed when at or near break even. A low activity TDEE for me is around 2000 and I currently have over 40 pounds of fat, so you can calculate that I would still be fine doing low cals except that I have been running over 20 miles a week the last 6 weeks or so (and about 15 a week for a few months before that). I am starting to hit the gym now as well. So I am borderline at best for being able to support an active TDEE on 1200 now. My point in answering on this thread is to point out that people who are at the stage I was or even more overweight should not be discouraged from doing it just on principal. While the math works, I think it is fine. The math does work for you, but you are pretty darn close to the point where it stops working.

I am also pretty darn close to where it will stop working, so I am changing to add more because I do intend to lose further and within a few weeks of loss I would definitely cross the point where LBM would have to provide some of my calories.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am 66 years old and retired.
    I have medical problems such as degenerative arthritis of the spine and torn meniscus in both knees
    I also have tendonitis in both feet.

I do very minimal exercise. I try to walk 20 mins a day at least.
    I am 5'6 and weigh now 152 pounds.

My husband and I are sedentary. My husband is 70 years old and does not have a weight problem.
    My TDEE is 1200 calories a day
  • ncmedic201
    Options
    Yes, it is. That TDEE includes activity? While I am not a fan of the "eat back" school because of the compounding of common errors and because it isn't needed when overweight, it could be needed when at or near break even. A low activity TDEE for me is around 2000 and I currently have over 40 pounds of fat, so you can calculate that I would still be fine doing low cals except that I have been running over 20 miles a week the last 6 weeks or so (and about 15 a week for a few months before that). I am starting to hit the gym now as well. So I am borderline at best for being able to support an active TDEE on 1200 now. My point in answering on this thread is to point out that people who are at the stage I was or even more overweight should not be discouraged from doing it just on principal. While the math works, I think it is fine. The math does work for you, but you are pretty darn close to the point where it stops working.

I am also pretty darn close to where it will stop working, so I am changing to add more because I do intend to lose further and within a few weeks of loss I would definitely cross the point where LBM would have to provide some of my calories.

That's with 3-5 days exercise. I'll be 43 in a few weeks and I'm only 5'4. I'm working on increasing my calories but it's been a balancing act between my blood pressure, eating good foods to support that and my crazy shift work. I'll find the right balance eventually. It's just been a trial and error up until now.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I feel so bad for people eating 1200 calories, I eat over double that and I'm losing around 1.5-2lb a week yet I still sometimes feel hungry. Not talking about those netting 1200 but those who eat 1200 or less without being exceptionally small or thin plus exercise on top of that are kidding themselves if they say they aren't hungry.
  • 55in13
    Options
    I feel so bad for people eating 1200 calories, I eat over double that and I'm losing around 1.5-2lb a week yet I still sometimes feel hungry. Not talking about those netting 1200 but those who eat 1200 or less without being exceptionally small or thin plus exercise on top of that are kidding themselves if they say they aren't hungry.
    So? If kidding themselves is working, why do you feel sorry for them if they are having success? If you eat over double that, lets say 2500, and can lose 2 pounds a week then you must have a TDEE of 3500 or so. Very few people do. I am a 175 pound man, I run over 20 miles a week and mine is much lower than that.
  • ncmedic201
    Options

Looking at your diary, you really don't eat a lot. Most of it is cookies and protein shakes. You certainly didn't die Sunday when you only took in 1200 calories. It's not like we don't eat. Most days I eat a lot. It's just not from cookies and candy.

My teen son's would feel bad for you if they saw your meals. Does that mean you're depriving yourself? No, it just means you choose to eat less calories than they do.
  • trying18
    trying18 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    is the 1250 cal net or gross/
    what exercise do you do?
    Thanks
  • 55in13
    Options

Looking at your diary, you really don't eat a lot. Most of it is cookies and protein shakes. You certainly didn't die Sunday when you only took in 1200 calories. It's not like we don't eat. Most days I eat a lot. It's just not from cookies and candy.

My teen son's would feel bad for you if they saw your meals. Does that mean you're depriving yourself? No, it just means you choose to eat less calories than they do.
    Dang, you busted him pretty clean with the open diary. I did a quick report on the month and saw one day down around 800, a couple around 1000 plus a few others that were pretty low. Glass houses, rocks and all that...
  • ncmedic201
    Options

Dang, you busted him pretty clean with the open diary. I did a quick report on the month and saw one day down around 800, a couple around 1000 plus a few others that were pretty low. Glass houses, rocks and all that...

:) Thanks for all the info today.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I'm not a special snowflake. I use mfp as designed. I net 1200 (although I eat considerably more - around 1800ish). 1200 calories as a net is very different than 1200 as gross intake. Mfp intends people to net 1200. Which for me works out to about the same # of gross intake calories (if not just a hair more) than TDEE-%.

1200 isn't the root of all evil.

Here! Here! Me too.
  • queenielauren1
    queenielauren1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was put on 2000 calories a day by a personal trainer, nutrionist or whatever. Had to eat clean foods, and healthy and regularly and blah blah blah. Gained literally 7-8kg in 2 weeks... I was told, you will gain weight at first, but then it will fall off... BULL****. I cant afford to gain 10kg just to sort out the metabolism.. That was 8-9months ago, and still cant shift the weight!!!!! (Mind you I'm not sticking to my 1200 very well either, the extra weight has been a huge downer and has not helped with my motivation at all).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I was put on 2000 calories a day by a personal trainer, nutrionist or whatever. Had to eat clean foods, and healthy and regularly and blah blah blah. Gained literally 7-8kg in 2 weeks... I was told, you will gain weight at first, but then it will fall off... BULL****. I cant afford to gain 10kg just to sort out the metabolism.. That was 8-9months ago, and still cant shift the weight!!!!! (Mind you I'm not sticking to my 1200 very well either, the extra weight has been a huge downer and has not helped with my motivation at all).
    Sounds legit.
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I want a vegemite sandwich. Is it lunch time yet?