Feminine curves without wobble

Options
13»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Hi, so a lot of you know I can't do much in the way of exercise, though I am going to try some body weight exercises from nerd fitness and see how I get on

I've seemingly inspired quite a few of my friends to get fit. I've told them about the recommendations on lifting that we see on mfp a lot. All of them feel that we aren't overly keen on the body build look as it can be a little masculine looking. I have seen a mixture on here of some cracking looking lifters, who still look feminine, but also those who are the more muscular look. Is it just a case of how far you take it or pot luck whether that's the way your body will go with lifting?

Can anyone recommend the best sort of exercise to firm up the wobbly bits but keep the softness of the feminine curves please?

Just to say, I mean no offence to those who have the tanned, body build type of build. It just isn't what is preferred in this case

It's down to body aesthetic

If you like soft but strong you don't drop your body fat percentage beyond a certain point

But you still lift - progressive resistance

I like soft but strong personally so I have this battle over whether I cut a little more to get my tummy completely flat and risk losing more boobs or leave it .. so far I'm just eating at maintenance and continuing lifting maybe in a year or two something will change .. right now the slight wobble is under my knicker line so meh
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    oh and my BF is around 23% ish
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy for more than a year with very little cardio. I might do Kettlebell circuits or hiit for cardio, I have been losing fat so it revealed muscle but I didn't build muscle because of deficit eating. You need to eat more and work hard to build muscle. I got Bod Pod assessed yesterday and am at 23% BF. Lost 17 lbs and mucho inches thanks to lifting. That photo comparison chart is interesting but it doesn't take height into consideration. I'm 5'2" and I started at 30% BF. I didn't like how it looked on me. I'm trying to get to 20% now.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome, thank you. Rabbit and H you both look gorgeous and you are two people whose posts stand out to me often on the boards. I really appreciate the advice and support. I'll let you know how I get on!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    My guess is that the look you do not want is the leaner very defined look that is a result of lifting weights and getting to a lower body fat. To avoid that look, you just wouldn't get down to such a low body fat percentage. Here's an example of what I mean:

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

Don't be disappointed if you don't look like these women when you get to the same BF% they are labeled at. Not every woman same BF% looks the same. Individual results vary greatly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Hi, so a lot of you know I can't do much in the way of exercise, though I am going to try some body weight exercises from nerd fitness and see how I get on

I've seemingly inspired quite a few of my friends to get fit. I've told them about the recommendations on lifting that we see on mfp a lot. All of them feel that we aren't overly keen on the body build look as it can be a little masculine looking. I have seen a mixture on here of some cracking looking lifters, who still look feminine, but also those who are the more muscular look. Is it just a case of how far you take it or pot luck whether that's the way your body will go with lifting?

Can anyone recommend the best sort of exercise to firm up the wobbly bits but keep the softness of the feminine curves please?

Just to say, I mean no offence to those who have the tanned, body build type of build. It just isn't what is preferred in this case

I think you are focusing on the wrong things, and worrying about problems that do not even exist. Based on your profile, you are trying to deal with some serious health issues, not become a body builder, so do not worry about things you do not need to worry about ;) See if you can get a physical therapist to help, and work on improving health and fitness related to functional issues. If a few years into this you do not look as you hoped you would, reevaluate then what might need to change. But do not worry about how e.g. years of serious weight lifting might affect your look, you are just going to drive yourself crazy over nothing.

As I said, it's my healthy friends that are interested in lifting but concerned about becoming too muscular
    My interests, as I mentioned, are possibly some very light lifting and body weight exercises to help strengthen my muscles, possibly yoga for flexibility and core strengthening to help improve my muscle tone
    Thanks for your reply

You can get lots of bodyweight benefits from yoga more advanced than the video I linked, but as a yoga teacher, I can't recommend being entirely self-taught. It's hard to check your own form in many yoga poses and moves.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Shows how everyone is different. I WANT to look muscular
  • star1407
    Options
    Shows how everyone is different. I WANT to look muscular

Yeah and that's great for you and some men love it. My hubs actually like a fatter figure than I'm aspiring to lol
    wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same?!
  • telynau
    telynau Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Star, didn't & don't want to derail your original question :) about "muskelles" HaHa (if you remember Popeye & his tin of spinach...)

Yes. Weight & strength training is an undiscussed option for people with FM/MPS. Usually Physios avoid suggesting it as many patients are resistant to or avoidant of. I purposely talked with them about adding functional lifting. All of the squats, presses, deadlifts are movements used in every day scenarios.

On walks sans Labby, have you thought of using Nordic walking poles? I've been using them since 2005 and have found them to improve balance and engage more of the core muscles. Just another something in the magic bag of tricks when working around flare-ups and relapses.

p.s. Hope you're improving from the last flare-up!
  • star1407
    Options
    telynau wrote: »
    Star, didn't & don't want to derail your original question :) about "muskelles" HaHa (if you remember Popeye & his tin of spinach...)

Yes. Weight & strength training is an undiscussed option for people with FM/MPS. Usually Physios avoid suggesting it as many patients are resistant to or avoidant of. I purposely talked with them about adding functional lifting. All of the squats, presses, deadlifts are movements used in every day scenarios.

On walks sans Labby, have you thought of using Nordic walking poles? I've been using them since 2005 and have found them to improve balance and engage more of the core muscles. Just another something in the magic bag of tricks when working around flare-ups and relapses.

Lol yeah popeye!
    I just found an article on fibro and strength training on nerd fitness which is a website I quite like. I have never thought of the poles, I do use a stick or crutches although I try to avoid it if I can!
    Our home gym equipment came today, hubby likes lifting.

Get this I did 5 whole reps with a 3kg dunbell each side! Lol how hardcore am I? Pmsl. I will be building it up super slow.
    Plus I actually left the house today and went to the shops, walked around, no wheelchair and not even a stick! Yay me
  • star1407
    Options
    telynau wrote: »

Aw thanks