Who else doesn't eat pass 6 pm??

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    you burn 100 calories while sleeping, so if you eat just before bed, you wont lose as much as you could have otherwise. i usually try to stop eating before eight and go to bed at around 9:30 or 10 :)

No.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    you burn 100 calories while sleeping, so if you eat just before bed, you wont lose as much as you could have otherwise. i usually try to stop eating before eight and go to bed at around 9:30 or 10 :)

Nope, not true. A complete myth that will not die.
  • xxgabriellaxxchanelxx
    Options
    maybe the myth wont die because its not a myth…..? i've looked at countless forums with people saying that they do, in fact burn 100 calories while asleep. perhaps it depends on the person.
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yeah the whole don't eat like 3 hours before bed is a myth that will not die.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    maybe the myth wont die because its not a myth…..? i've looked at countless forums with people saying that they do, in fact burn 100 calories while asleep. perhaps it depends on the person.

Still a myth. Anecdotal evidence is not scientific evidence.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You guys mean to tell me that all this time I've been starving myself every evening when it actually doesn't matter what time I eat!?!

exactly.

ive lost 70 some pounds in the past year.

i eat whenever the heck i want and can drink like a sailor at times.

its all about CICO. nothing more, nothing less.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

How are these people measuring their calorie burn while they sleep?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm a true believer that not eating pass 6 is key to losing weight. I have been doing it for a few months and it does work. I was just wondering who else doesn't eat late?

I honestly don't know anyone who is home before 6, so apparently you think people should skip dinner.

Personally I work, workout, and get home around 9 normally, so eat between 9 and 10. Doing that I lost 95 lbs.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

http://halls.md/calories-burn-sleeping/
    During sleep, a person’s weight and the number of hours he or she sleeps determines how many calories do you burn sleeping. Normally, a person burns about 0.42 calories for every pound in one hour of sleep.

For instance, a 150 lb. person burns about 63 calories in one hour.
    If he or she sleeps for eight hours total, this person burns 504 calories for the whole duration.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Is this a trick question?
  • Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    well eating right before you go to bed can cause heartburn, so it is better to eat 30-45 minutes before bed. That is a fact. But whatever you take in has the same weight no matter when.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

No, the myth won't die because people who know nothing about nutrition or how the human body works keep repeating it on countless internet forums. It doesn't matter how many times you repeat a myth, it's still a myth.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 40lbs and kept it off for two years while eating 200-500 calories literally right before I go to bed every day
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You burn lots of calories/fat sleeping. I've had lots of people tell me that my sleep issues are probably hurting my weight loss (I usually sleep 3-5 hours a night, can't not wake up). I know I work out better when I sleep properly (even just 6 hours), and I also have a much easier time eating properly.

Meal timing is majoring in the minors. Do what feels best to you.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I was just trying to figure it out. My FitBit gives me several hundred calories between midnight and the time I wake up, but I realize that it's not overly accurate. Although using it as a close guesstimate of my daily burns seems to be helping me with my weight loss, so I'm not too worried about it's accuracy.

TL:DR sort of yes, a little bit, maybe, but probably not :grin:
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am a true believer that it has nothing to do with it at all.
    I eat most of my calories AFTER 6 PM even later

And lost weight just fine and still do.

If you dont want to eat after 6 np at all But for weight loss it doesn't matter at all.

95069916.png
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Yeah and some people still believe we only use 10% of our brains. Forums =/= Evidence. You burn calories sleeping yes, but that is your bmr. If I burn 1450 because that's my bmr, i don't burn anymore sleeping than I do staring at a wall. Breathing, pumping blood, all costs calories. We burn calories when we sleep, but it's only because we are constantly burning to continue living.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I was just trying to figure it out. My FitBit gives me several hundred calories between midnight and the time I wake up, but I realize that it's not overly accurate. Although using it as a close guesstimate of my daily burns seems to be helping me with my weight loss, so I'm not too worried about it's accuracy.

TL:DR sort of yes, a little bit, maybe, but probably not :grin:

Just checking!
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Unplanned late night snacks are not good for keeping within my calorie goals. If I've finished my calories for the day, it's best to just keep the kitchen closed.
    Eating too much of certain types of food before bed can give me heartburn.
    These would be the reasons I would cut food off at a certain time.
  • nickmomrik
    nickmomrik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you burn 100 calories while sleeping, so if you eat just before bed, you wont lose as much as you could have otherwise. but, of course you can still lose plenty of weight no matter what the timing. its really more about calories. that being said, i usually try to stop eating before eight and go to bed at around 9:30 or 10 :)

You burn a lot more than 100 calories when you sleep. For example, say my Basal metabolic rate (BMR, which is the amount of energy expended while at rest in a neutrally temperate environment) is 2,000 calories per day. Divided by 24 hours my body burns over 80 calories an hour if I don't do anything at all. If you exercise, your body burns even more throughout the day repairing and building. Sleep for 8 hours @ 80 calories/hour and that's burning 640 calories. #science